New coach for Canada Women National Team

The Ref

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.lesportaufeminin.fr/2020/07/28/jessica-silva-fc-metz-future-selectionneure-du-canada/

Google Translate:

"According to our information, FC Metz coach Jessica Silva, still in office despite her team's relegation to the second division last season, has signed a contract to become Canada's future coach next September.

Inducted technical director of the women's section last January, Jessica Silva is preparing to leave the garnet club to join the post of coach of Canada, where she will meet Paris Saint-Germain striker Jordyn Huitema. Jessica Silva had already worked in the past in the Quebec and Canadian football federations and more recently in US Orléans (2018)."

Edited by _Vic_

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree that they were zeroes. We knew that they were a good team and had a young leader in Miedema and the 2015 Women's World Cup made this team known that they were there for the future. Arsenal went and got 3 players from that team right after the World Cup and it just raised the program having players because they needed their top players playing against top opposition and the Dutch League or the BeNe league as it was known in 2015 wasn't good enough for them. 

Zeroes in accomplishment. Going into the Euro they had only ever had one medal game in the entire history of the Euro, and their World Cup final was in only their second appearance in the World Cup.

If anyone knew we would be sitting here in 2020 with Wiegman being such a huge success in both tournaments and courted so heavily by the FA, they could have made a lot of money.

I've seen the Ajax women play a number of times at De Toekomst, just an incredible operation and program. Curious how many of their women came through it.

• 1 month later...

Damn. thought there was an announcement! Nearly 2 months since I last posted thinking it should have been announced by now. I know we have a long wait until the team plays again but really? Guess the CSA saves a few pennies. Would be nice to have someone get their feet under the table and make some connections with players and coaches, spread their philosophies etc.. 

Surely they will announce something soon. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

No rush to appoint. No games, no camps, no tournaments = no point. COVID-19 pandemic is the priority right now. Better to wait and make the right choice when the time is right and the Olympics are confirmed 100% for Summer '21.

Money saving as well, not having to pay a Coach.

It is hard not to be skeptical and point the finger towards the penny pinching CSA stereotype. If the shoe fits..

Maybe they are holding off to use the near 5 months of saved wages to bring in a more expensive coach.

@scooterlawrence5 RE: No point in rushing to appoint, those reasons are valid but that is a small part of the job. We don't know the inside track, maybe they have be waiting for the right person to be available from their own commitments. I would say a new coach could be using his time to be settling in, contacting players, building relationships, understanding the CSA (that is a life time job) and starting to build culture with staff, players, fans and the media.

If the money is there (which is should be ear marked into the annual budget) and the coach they want is available there is no justifiable reason not to get it done and have the new manger get their feet under the table. 

As @MtlMario said, hopefully we hear news that will clear everything up soon and stop my occasional flapping when I remember they haven't announced this yet!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...