Jump to content

Locations for Canada home games for WCQ


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Well of course if we rotate venues for World Cup qualifying then the 3 big ones will always be Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton by default even though Montreal should also be included but they probably won't. 

We rarely get over 20K for any game in Canada, Saputo's 19k+ is more than enough even for "Big" opponents.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As always, the primary factors to be considered are: - reducing travel time and jet lag for the majority of our players - playing surface that the majority of our players are accustomed to

Bullshit.  Vancouver people like to pretend that they always get otherworldly attendances compared to Toronto or Montreal, but the reality is that other than that one game against Mexico, Vancouver's

43 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Canada vs any of those 12 teams is 30 k plus in Vancouver. Take it to the bank. Central American teams or US 40k

Bullshit.  Vancouver people like to pretend that they always get otherworldly attendances compared to Toronto or Montreal, but the reality is that other than that one game against Mexico, Vancouver's attendances aren't very special.

THE MEXICO GAME WAS AN OUTLIER

If Vancouver had've gotten 35-40K vs. French Guiana, then they'd have a point.

 

50K people showed up for the game vs. Brazil in Edmonton, but nobody is suggesting every game be played in Edmonton.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, devioustrevor said:

********.  Vancouver people like to pretend that they always get otherworldly attendances compared to Toronto or Montreal, but the reality is that other than that one game against Mexico, Vancouver's attendances aren't very special.

THE MEXICO GAME WAS AN OUTLIER

If Vancouver had've gotten 35-40K vs. French Guiana, then they'd have a point.

 

50K people showed up for the game vs. Brazil in Edmonton, but nobody is suggesting every game be played in Edmonton.

Vancouver got the same for French Guiana as Toronto got for the USA, I don't know why we'd play a world cup qualifying match in a city where the soccer fans there are clearly apathetic towards the national team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Canada vs any of those 12 teams is 30 k plus in Vancouver. Take it to the bank. Central American teams or US 40k

Um, just last cycle Vancouver hosted two Central American teams in World Cup Qualifyiers. They each drew 20k, not 40k. 20k is still better than Toronto drew for similar matches the previous cycle, so you didn’t need to exaggerate to make your point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vancouver isn't even the city it was 2 years ago. I know the rest of Canada is just getting on the Davies train now but trust me when I tell you, he's a star in Vancouver. 

Look you tell me this or that about any city in Canada and I'll take your word for it. I don't know. I would never be arrogant enough to tell you your wrong. Trust me.. if Canads plays world cup qualifying in Vancouver lower bowl sell out within days. US, Mexico, El Salvador 40k plus

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Vancouver isn't even the city it was 2 years ago. I know the rest of Canada is just getting on the Davies train now but trust me when I tell you, he's a star in Vancouver. 

Look you tell me this or that about any city in Canada and I'll take your word for it. I don't know. I would never be arrogant enough to tell you your wrong. Trust me.. if Canads plays world cup qualifying in Vancouver lower bowl sell out within days. US, Mexico, El Salvador 40k plus

Alright. If we are just going by gut feeling rather than evidence then I will say since Toronto’s population grows by more people (total number, not a percentage) every year than any other city and has lots of “euro snob” soccer fans that are now finding out about Davies. As a result we would be able to fill the Rogers Centre/Skydome for World Cup qualifiers against literally any opponent. 50k to see Antigua and it would sell out in hours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kent said:

Alright. If we are just going by gut feeling rather than evidence then I will say since Toronto’s population grows by more people (total number, not a percentage) every year than any other city and has lots of “euro snob” soccer fans that are now finding out about Davies. As a result we would be able to fill the Rogers Centre/Skydome for World Cup qualifiers against literally any opponent. 50k to see Antigua and it would sell out in hours.

FACTS💯

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Vancouver isn't even the city it was 2 years ago. I know the rest of Canada is just getting on the Davies train now but trust me when I tell you, he's a star in Vancouver. 

So he's a huge star in Vancouver 2 years after he left, but when he was playing weekly at BC Place the Whitecaps were ninth in MLS average attendance. Makes sense.

11 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I would never be arrogant enough to tell you your wrong. Trust me.

[heads on over to the COVID-19 discussions]

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess we'll have to see how the schedule lines up, but I'd be hopeful that the CSA manages to still schedule some home friendlies, with those friendlies pushed to cities that don't regularly get games.  I'm sure Westhills is owed a makeup game.  I'd expect the WCQ to still be going solely to Vancouver and Toronto, and that both cities will do an excellent job of supporting the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fact: Davies made a name for himself in Vancouver.

Fact: Davies has never played for Canada at BC place.

Fact: Davies is a bigger star now more than ever.

Fact: Vancouver does not get as many games as Toronto.

Fact: The capacity at BC place is bigger than BMO.

If I had to bet I would say Vancouver would sell more tickets, based on those facts.

Edited by Obinna
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Fact: Davies made a name for himself in Vancouver.

Fact: Davies has never played for Canada at BC place.

Fact: Davies is a bigger star now more than ever.

Fact: Vancouver does not get as many games as Toronto.

Fact: The capacity at BC place is bigger than BMO.

If I had to bet I would say Vancouver would sell more tickets, based on those facts.

The way you presented this is miles ahead of what SpursFlu was doing, without the obvious subtext that Vancouver is somehow inherently better than Toronto (or Montreal).

It's those types of bad-faith arguments that keep this tiresome discussion going. SkuseIsLoose also did it earlier in the thread by implying that some games at BMO didn't feel like home games.

Ironically, the Mexico game that constantly gets brought up had a massive amount of fans supporting the away team (in the tens of thousands). It's fine because there were still more people supporting Canada on the day, but if that happened in Toronto we'd never hear the end of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RS said:

So he's a huge star in Vancouver 2 years after he left, but when he was playing weekly at BC Place the Whitecaps were ninth in MLS average attendance. Makes sense.

[heads on over to the COVID-19 discussions]

giphy.gif

...... you act like the caps were last. Hardly a mic drop comment my guy. 9th isn’t that bad for one of the smaller markets in the league 

Edit: Caps were also 7th/22 in 2017, also pretty good

Edited by N1ckbr0wn
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RS said:

The way you presented this is miles ahead of what SpursFlu was doing, without the obvious subtext that Vancouver is somehow inherently better than Toronto (or Montreal).

It's those types of bad-faith arguments that keep this tiresome discussion going. SkuseIsLoose also did it earlier in the thread by implying that some games at BMO didn't feel like home games.

Ironically, the Mexico game that constantly gets brought up had a massive amount of fans supporting the away team (in the tens of thousands). It's fine because there were still more people supporting Canada on the day, but if that happened in Toronto we'd never hear the end of it.

BMO not feeling like home games...okay I guess that makes sense but isn't Toronto in Canada? I mean aren't all these Canadian cities not in the same country? So wherever you go in Canada, it should feel like a home game shouldn't it not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Fact: Davies made a name for himself in Vancouver.

Fact: Davies has never played for Canada at BC place.

Fact: Davies is a bigger star now more than ever.

Fact: Vancouver does not get as many games as Toronto.

Fact: The capacity at BC place is bigger than BMO.

If I had to bet I would say Vancouver would sell more tickets, based on those facts.

Don’t worry about it dude this forum has a weird fetish for hating on anything “Vancouver”. Whether it’s hating on the Whitecaps or constantly finding arguements to not have games at BC place, as you know this topic comes up at least once a month 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

...... you act like the caps were last. Hardly a mic drop comment my guy. 9th isn’t that bad for one of the smaller markets in the league 

Edit: Caps were also 7th/22 in 2017, also pretty good

That’s what you got out of my post?

I'm responding directly to the dude who says Vancouver is guaranteed to draw “40k plus” for El Salvador because of the city’s newfound love for Alphonso Davies. The same Vancouver that drew half that for Davies’ regular appearances  2 years ago. 

This is not me shitting on Vancouver, but rather me bringing actual numbers to a silly, never-ending dick-swinging competition. A gut feeling isn’t a proper argument.

The Whitecaps draw consistent numbers, which is fine. That we’re arguing this stupid shit (again) during a time when any home game is probably a year away is incredibly annoying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Don’t worry about it dude this forum has a weird fetish for hating on anything “Vancouver”. Whether it’s hating on the Whitecaps or constantly finding arguements to not have games at BC place, as you know this topic comes up at least once a month 

Weird how I could substitute “Toronto” in there and have just as valid an argument. It’s almost as if this conversation isn’t even worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if any of the recent comments were directed at me, but I wasn’t hating on Vancouver, or trying to deny them games, or even saying Toronto was a worthier host (unless you took my sarcastic post literally. I thought it was obviously sarcastic, but maybe it wasn’t.)

I was just exposing the reality from recent history to contrast against the guarantees of future attendance. That’s it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to rotate the venues . When Canada plays teams like Mexico , USA, or even Costa Rica , play the games in Toronto Van City, Montreal, And Edmonton, when we play teams like Jamaica , T&T , then play the games in smaller venues like Halifax, Ottawa, Victoria, or even Hamilton. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...