Valour FC Season Thread 2020 2.0

On 10/17/2020 at 6:22 PM, jonovision said:

If Carreiro wasn't a local lad I wouldn't give this move a second thought, but...

Meh, I think a lot of the local boys were brought on to help goose the attendance a bit for year 1. With the performance at the Island games I think now it's time to get down to business and building the best team possible.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:22 PM, jonovision said:

If Carreiro wasn't a local lad I wouldn't give this move a second thought, but...

Rob Gale was on TSN1290 today and said the move was mutual. He's getting married to a Toronto girl this year and he's planning on moving there. FWIW he says he has some coaching opportunities there. 

57 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Even recently MLS has suffered players quitting professional soccer to take on a new career. CPL has a looong way to go before that stops happening.

difference is some of those guys have degrees from Ivy league schools, so they can make the below average faster in the work field vs MLS. In guys like Dylans case, all they have is football.

On 10/27/2020 at 1:08 PM, johnyb said:

Rob Gale was on TSN1290 today and said the move was mutual. He's getting married to a Toronto girl this year and he's planning on moving there. FWIW he says he has some coaching opportunities there. 

I hope he does have an opportunity at coaching.  Earning a living in footie after your playing days has to be a dream come true.  In any capacity.

I wrote it before and I'll write it again.  This league is competing with the "real world" as much as, if not more, than anything else.  It's going to be a difficult balancing act for all the teams to figure out where their limited player budget is best spent.  For some players this will mean actually giving pro football a go, for others it will mean giving it a longer try but at the end of the day it HAS TO provide enough quality for all the players in the leauge and its fans.  

I guess congradulations are in order but I can't help but find myself quoting Hugo.

Phoebus de Chatreaupres too came to a tragic end; he got married.  

On 10/28/2020 at 8:33 AM, Ruffian said:

Even recently MLS has suffered players quitting professional soccer to take on a new career. CPL has a looong way to go before that stops happening.

Career transition after your playing days is always tough. Coaching soccer in Canada is not the most enriching way to make a living. There are very few positions that offer a livable wage. I think in terms of cpl I’ve said numerous times it’s really a semi-pro league for probably -75-80% of the contracts. I compare it to like senior aaa hockey [allan cup). You can’t make your primary source of income to be 25-30k max. If the league is going to grow it needs to offer the players better contracts

mls btw had a big disparity in contracts to

On 10/28/2020 at 2:08 AM, johnyb said:

Maybe he’s replacing Brennan. 😂

On 10/28/2020 at 10:02 PM, Cheeta said:

This league is competing with the "real world" as much as, if not more, than anything else.  It's going to be a difficult balancing act for all the teams to figure out where their limited player budget is best spent.  For some players this will mean actually giving pro football a go, for others it will mean giving it a longer try but at the end of the day it HAS TO provide enough quality for all the players in the leauge and its fans.  

The CFL and it's players association have long had help where current & former players are given help with the transition to "real life". Considering both Forge & Valour have CFL DNA, I expect this will come sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, T_Bison said:

Really happy as well - outside of Dunn & Pantemis it looks like most of the Island Games team is back which is really encouraging to see. Let's just hope we can have our butts at IGF to watch them in person!

Plenty of room to spread out and distance eh??  Open up the other side and you could still get 10000 in there nicely spread out.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...