Valour FC Season Thread 2020 2.0

On 9/25/2020 at 2:21 PM, Trois Reds said:

So basically, instead of sitting at home for 6 months collecting EI, Galan took a job over the winter where he can get paid, keep fit, and it will be finished just in time for spring work to start in Winnipeg. Pretty smart.

I think the thing is that he’s trying to top up his wages b/c you can’t live on a cpl salary. There’s two “pro” b-ball leagues in Canada where the players play part of the year in Canada then another part overseas

On 9/10/2020 at 9:20 PM, Ansem said:

if FC Manitoba is then direct "middle man" between Valour and Manitoba soccer, Paolucci can install that professional, winning culture on and off the pitch.

Thinking that Manitoba best talents will be funneled to FC Manitoba before going Valour, what better way to prepare them for CPL than a guy like him who played at the highest level and can pass down that culture?

At the same time it help brings attention to that club who could position itself for a Prairies D3 whenever that happens building towards D2 wherever there's Pro/rel

It's great for Paolucci to who can learn the coaching/executive job (great gig at 36) leading potentially to coaching/executive positions at higher levels down the road. 36 to 65, that's like 2 more decades of dping what you love in a different way

Great vision from FC Manitoba has this is a good deal for both parties.

That's the bigger picture - I'm happy for Manitoba Soccer as a whole!

Doesn’t appear that this will be the case

44 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Personally, I don’t feel that galan is a good use of an international card. Time to move on 

A guy that wants to be in Winnipeg and can help contribute to the growth of the sport in the city and province isn't someone who I would want to be moving on from.

They only used 5 international spots last season anyway so it isn't like they are desperate for the spot

Somehow you are misconstruing that now that he has a one-year deal he won't be back, when before it was said Galán signed only for half a year. 

You can't sign a part of the season contract in Spain, I've never heard of such a thing. Even if a club is decimated by injuries they draw from their youth and academies, or pick up a loan deal, but don't sign players on for short stints. Always to the end of June pretty well. So there is no difference between the stories and there shouldn't between the readings of them. 

As I mentioned his wife is an exec on maternity leave, perhaps her Winnipeg company (Wawanesa) allowed her to not be in Canada during that period. She most likely makes more than he does. Even in Spain he would not likely be making more than 3000 euros a month before taxes. That is not a huge top off on salary to be changing residence (his Spanish club is not where he's from).

Of course he's a veteran and the team needs to keep pushing for improvements in all lines, that is another question altogether.

3 hours ago, top cheese said:

These are a totally different context to pallucci. 

Never said they weren’t.  Just pointing out that your characterization of the league as a U23 league as a way to criticize a particular signing is not supported by the actual player demographics.  Sure there al lots of U23s, but there are also lots of players in the middle of their career or at the end of it. 

3 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

A guy that wants to be in Winnipeg and can help contribute to the growth of the sport in the city and province isn't someone who I would want to be moving on from.

They only used 5 international spots last season anyway so it isn't like they are desperate for the spot

I really thought Galan was one of Valour's better players in the Island Games from what I saw of him.  He may not be flashy, but he's solid, and has a lot of experience.  At the very least he's got another season in him. 

If Pantemis isn't being given a chance ahead of a comically bad Diop there is a good chance he is back at Valour. I am surprised they didn't give him a go in the midweek. Maybe they are just giving him some time to acclimatize back into the squad but I don't know what he would have to do or Diop to do worse after last week to get dropped and Pantemis given a chance. Could see them bringing in another Goalkeeper to be number 1 ahead of keeping Pantemis number 2 at this rate.

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

If Pantemis isn't being given a chance ahead of a comically bad Diop there is a good chance he is back at Valour.

it's a risky business waiting too long in one place for your opportunity, especially for 'keepers.  You have to go where you have to to get the minutes.   

I for one would be glad to have him back for another season, if the price is right.

And yeah, caught some of the Impact match there mid week.  Can understand why Pantemis might want to stick around Montreal though.  Man has to believe he'll be getting his chance soon enough.    

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

If Pantemis isn't being given a chance ahead of a comically bad Diop there is a good chance he is back at Valour. I am surprised they didn't give him a go in the midweek. Maybe they are just giving him some time to acclimatize back into the squad but I don't know what he would have to do or Diop to do worse after last week to get dropped and Pantemis given a chance. Could see them bringing in another Goalkeeper to be number 1 ahead of keeping Pantemis number 2 at this rate.

Well Diop is away on national team duty and after he quarantines for 14 days he probably won't be back till the the 28th or 29th. That gives Pantemis a run of at least 5 games hopefully he can solidify himself as the starting GK in that time.

Edited by Nate3322