Valour FC Season Thread 2020 2.0

17 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

Is it wrong that I'm much more excited about the attackers this year than last year?

The attackers last year were a New Zealand league semi-pro and an Italian in semi-retirement, both of whom couldn't run; and a teenager who turned out to be our most consistent scorer.

So no, your relative excitement is not misplaced.

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

The attackers last year were a New Zealand league semi-pro and an Italian in semi-retirement, both of whom couldn't run; and a teenager who turned out to be our most consistent scorer.

So no, your relative excitement is not misplaced.

Hoyle was aweful better mmsl players. Pallucci was 36 and couldn’t keep up. Musse and artardo has no business  as Pros. 

I like the additions they’ve made hopefully they’ll give waters some minutes

1 hour ago, top cheese said:

Hoyle was aweful better mmsl players. Pallucci was 36 and couldn’t keep up. Musse and artardo has no business  as Pros. 

The coming years will be telling on with the highlighted point, but otherwise I agree.

11 hours ago, top cheese said:

Lofty would be rolling in his CSN grave. 

Attardo was widely regarded as one of the brightest young striking prospects in the CPL last season. Assuming thats who you are referring too. 

Musse disappointed for sure. Talent there but couldn't put it all together and make an impact.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 12:10 AM, toontownman said:

Lofty would be rolling in his CSN grave. 

Attardo was widely regarded as one of the brightest young striking prospects in the CPL last season. Assuming thats who you are referring too. 

Musse disappointed for sure. Talent there but couldn't put it all together and make an impact.

If he was “bright” why isn’t he considered for ynt or have mls teams chomping at the big to get his signature? 

im excited to see this new group perform.
But I do think Gale is on the hot seat for 21/22. After going with Local players who were not good enough to go professional or overestimating the quality of his past ynt players. and some skeptical international Signings. If he doesn’t get a better performance out of a more experienced group in PEI he likely won’t get a third chance. 

41 minutes ago, top cheese said:

im excited to see this new group perform.
But I do think Gale is on the hot seat for 21/22. After going with Local players who were not good enough to go professional or overestimating the quality of his past ynt players. and some skeptical international Signings. If he doesn’t get a better performance out of a more experienced group in PEI he likely won’t get a third chance. 

I'm excited to see this group perform as well, and I think this short tournament makes the rebuild a bit of a crap shoot with systems, players who haven't played together much, etc. That being said, the talent should be there to do some damage and be significantly better than last year.

If Valour is buried at the bottom of the table then Gale is probably gone. If they are competitive in that 4/5 zone and it would need to be something cultural that gets him let go. If he makes the second stage he's safe (as well I think he should be).

5 hours ago, top cheese said:

If he was “bright” why isn’t he considered for ynt or have mls teams chomping at the big to get his signature? 

Best write off Campbell and Ongaro and every other promising youngster in the league that didn't get bought by an MLS club then. 

Can't tell you why he hasn't been involved in the youth national set up, certainly can't tell you whether he has been considered for it, likely no-one here could, he might have been. We will also never know if he was considered for the Olympic team, his name certainly cropped up in peoples suggestions but there is so much competition even the above two names, after one pro season bright prospect or not there are others with greater pro experience and playing level in the U23 age bracket.

I am just basing the bright prospect label off what I watched, what pundits were universally saying, what the league said of him and the fact he has earned a move abroad. I thought the praise and label was pretty universal? Maybe not from Valour fans anymore after he left. 

4 hours ago, T_Bison said:

I'm excited to see this group perform as well, and I think this short tournament makes the rebuild a bit of a crap shoot with systems, players who haven't played together much, etc. That being said, the talent should be there to do some damage and be significantly better than last year.

If Valour is buried at the bottom of the table then Gale is probably gone. If they are competitive in that 4/5 zone and it would need to be something cultural that gets him let go. If he makes the second stage he's safe (as well I think he should be).

It was had to part ways with managers without club ownerships openly admitting the person they chose to build the club longterm, arguably their most important hire was botched. Especially when he is Canadian. Pacific had a few outs and to their credit held their hands up. At the end of the day all the clubs put faith in their managers for the longterm and should be sticking to that unless there are major personal clashes and professionalism issues. In any other league Gale would have likely been replaced agree he will be if they finish last again. 

I hope they get it together but Gale didn't seem to get it right at all, even with the advisory role of John Peacock and familiar playing staff. There is so much potential in Winnipeg to grow what is already a great fanbase. I hope it comes together for the club. 

Edited by toontownman

Its not even finishing last.  Its when the players cant wait to get out of town and they are talking about dysfunctional dressing rooms, thats what really sticks in my craw.  You just never know how a guy will take to handling a team of professional men over a season...when he has mainly been working with kids in isolated camps and tournies.  Maybe he isnt cut out for it. But If we get the same toxic dressing room stuff after this partial season they'll have no choice.

What would be so bad about manitoba sport culture that it would cause a mass exodus of players to all corners of the CPL? 

Getting a team of teenagers together for a U-17 2 week camp and a 3 game tournie isnt the same as dealing with professional men and getting them to pull together as a team over an entire season.  Its the same as some good college coaches (in many sports) never make the transition to pro.  They are different animals and being successful in one doesnt always translate to success in the other.  

18 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Its not even finishing last.  Its when the players cant wait to get out of town and they are talking about dysfunctional dressing rooms, thats what really sticks in my craw.  You just never know how a guy will take to handling a team of professional men over a season...when he has mainly been working with kids in isolated camps and tournies.  Maybe he isnt cut out for it. But If we get the same toxic dressing room stuff after this partial season they'll have no choice.

Met the man and personally like him, but watching those interviews after a loss was painful. Always blamed the refs, weather and bad luck and never gave credit to the other team. Comes across as a whiner and that is not a trait well suited for professional coaches.

• 2 weeks later...