Valour FC Season Thread 2020 2.0

On 6/30/2020 at 3:40 PM, T_Bison said:

Valour is absolutely loaded with midfielders with Aird, Cebara & Gutiérrez all in the right-midfield position. It would have been extremely difficult for him to stick normally and with the season as it looks to be shaking out, why have him when you don't have to?

Campelle is a cm 

it’s quite disappointing the lack of opportunity that valour has given its support draft picks. I’d expect waters who is a very good cf to be let go as well as soon as gale can sign another cf. only team in the league that never effectively used the draft last year. 

On 7/3/2020 at 11:04 PM, top cheese said:

Campanile is a cm 

it’s quite disappointing the lack of opportunity that valour has given its support draft picks. I’d expect waters who is a very good cf to be let go as well as soon as gale can sign another cf. only team in the league that never effectively used the draft last year. 

Campelle is listed as a right-mid on Transfermarkt: https://www.transfermarkt.com/marcus-campanile/profil/spieler/234395

Draft picks is not something I would worry about. Last year we were young and it showed - it was one of the major criticisms of the team. With the rebuild they went much older to have a more professional squad and there would only be a few places for the young talent. Also, we don't know if this was initiated by Campanile himself. 

Strikers are something I am worried about, HAHA.  Campanile..pffttt....but I hope that Waters gets a decent shot to prove himself in training.  The guy just couldnt stop scoring in Usports.  We need all the help we can get so a poacher like that will come in handy.  

2 hours ago, T_Bison said:

Campelle is listed as a right-mid on Transfermarkt: https://www.transfermarkt.com/marcus-campanile/profil/spieler/234395

Draft picks is not something I would worry about. Last year we were young and it showed - it was one of the major criticisms of the team. With the rebuild they went much older to have a more professional squad and there would only be a few places for the young talent. Also, we don't know if this was initiated by Campanile himself. 

He’s a cm that’s what he played in usport. It is something that I would worry about especially if other teams are acquiring players through it who are contributing to theIr teamS or are moving to higher levels. 

the team last year wasn’t young. They were unprofessional and in most cases not got enough for the professional level. The club made a poor decision to give opportunity to local players who were not good enough for the pro level 

2 hours ago, top cheese said:

He’s a cm that’s what he played in usport.

Either way he wasn't going to crack the roster.

It is something that I would worry about especially if other teams are acquiring players through it who are contributing to theIr teams or are moving to higher levels. 

the team last year wasn’t young. They were unprofessional and in most cases not got enough for the professional level. The club made a poor decision to give opportunity to local players who were not good enough for the pro level 

Yes, you are right they were unprofessional. I should have used inexperienced instead of young. However, my original point still stands that it wasn't a big deal last year or this year. It was two rounds and generally semi-pro PLSQ & L1O seem to have better players than U-sports currently do. MLS' super draft usually isn't considered a big deal for a reason.

1 hour ago, T_Bison said:

Yes, you are right they were unprofessional. I should have used inexperienced instead of young. However, my original point still stands that it wasn't a big deal last year or this year. It was two rounds and generally semi-pro PLSQ & L1O seem to have better players than U-sports currently do. MLS' super draft usually isn't considered a big deal for a reason.

If he wasn’t going to crack the roster then they should have used the pick better. I wouldn’t necessarily agree that the semi pro leagues have better players then usport. Maybe a little more physically mature. I think judging by the where some of the professional players have come from like nz, Ireland, Southeast Asia. I wouldn’t necessarily call them quality or professional ethier. I think my point is teams have obtain meaningful players from this usport a draft. Valour seems to be the only one not taking anything from it.  Seems like a lack of judgement on their part imo.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Is this news?

Am I the new tweet-posting parrot?

Translation via Google Translate: "Chakib Hocine is currently in Winnipeg. Valor FC said it would sign at least 2 unannounced players who played #CanPL last year."

"Played" - Yes. "Played a lot" - nope. Only got into 4 games last year with Wanderers. Also, doesn't make a lot of sense - Valour is pretty deep with CBs.

4 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

Translation via Google Translate: "Chakib Hocine is currently in Winnipeg. Valor FC said it would sign at least 2 unannounced players who played #CanPL last year."

"Played" - Yes. "Played a lot" - nope. Only got into 4 games last year with Wanderers. Also, doesn't make a lot of sense - Valour is pretty deep with CBs.

They only have three natural CBs, that is far from "deep"

If you were meaning to imply that he sounds like a bad signing since he didn't play a lot last year, the reason he didn't play much was entirely because of injuries. In the games he played he was very solid and he definitely deserves another shot in the league.

49 minutes ago, Zem said:

They only have three natural CBs, that is far from "deep"

If you were meaning to imply that he sounds like a bad signing since he didn't play a lot last year, the reason he didn't play much was entirely because of injuries. In the games he played he was very solid and he definitely deserves another shot in the league.

I disagree. In a league with only 23 roster spots, having four players dedicated to CB isn't great. Granted, Valour may run two CBs this year but with both Moutou & Levis at left-back, one will be shifting over to CB, so that gives four before Hocine. Plus both of the Canadian U-21s are on the back line (Le Bourhis & Garcia) so they will be getting minutes for sure. Not saying it's a great signing (nobody has said anything about him being signed) but just not sure where Hocine slots in.

40 minutes ago, Shway said:

Shaan Hundal is training with them. He was in a post with masta and Stefan.

I wonder if thats a loan or Hundal's now with us permanent?  Either way good for him, good for us, he was potting goals in USL and USL-1 and it seems like TFC have forgotten or dont rate him.  

I think we'll be running 2 CB most of the time, and Levis is more apt to slide up to LM than to CB.  With a condensed season, crowded schedule, they'll probably be glad they have an extra body back there, IF he actually signs.    

Problem is that they have 2 foreign CB, so it doesn't give you good flexibility for CPL rules. Hocine was unlucky last year. And, even in a squad of 23, you want 4 CB. I don't know any  national team that chose to go with 3 CB at a World Cup, what's different here?

22 hours ago, T_Bison said:

York 9 just signed there 1st pick. Issah Johnson from the same school. 

56 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

I disagree. In a league with only 23 roster spots, having four players dedicated to CB isn't great. Granted, Valour may run two CBs this year but with both Moutou & Levis at left-back, one will be shifting over to CB, so that gives four before Hocine. Plus both of the Canadian U-21s are on the back line (Le Bourhis & Garcia) so they will be getting minutes for sure. Not saying it's a great signing (nobody has said anything about him being signed) but just not sure where Hocine slots in.

Hocine looked like he had some quality to him in his highlight videos. At the very least he’s some cheap depth. He also lost his spot to a u sports draft pick last year. 

I suspect he’s one, Austin Ricci is probably the other. Hopefully they sign Luca ricci whose in camp also.