Valour FC Season Thread 2020 2.0

10 hours ago, T_Bison said:

News to me as well - I figured Farago was a lock to return to be the vet backup to Pantermis

Think it's no huge shock that the Valour are making a fresh start on goalkeeping. It was one of the biggest issues they had last season. Farago was significantly worse than the Belgian kid who had some strong points but also some major flaws.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Interesting they were given the 'all-clear' when they probably won't start any sort of training camp until mid July. What that does signal is that the MB government is comfortable enough to start letting the sports teams get back at it.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:37 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think it's no huge shock that the Valour are making a fresh start on goalkeeping. It was one of the biggest issues they had last season. Farago was significantly worse than the Belgian kid who had some strong points but also some major flaws.

He wasn’t up to the level of a pro league at mid late 20’s sitting on the bench all year for 10-15 g might not be a smart option 

^ They REALLY need to get into this, by that I mean the league collectively.  Hard to imagine patience isn't wearing just a little thin by now with the ticket buying public and harder still to imagine CPL HQ isn't fully aware of that.

Yes, everyone understands these are unique times.  Yes, everyone also understands its extremely difficult to construct something, anything, resembling a season for 2020 with everything still so uncertain.  But understanting is only going to get you so far.

Ha!  And look what I found whilst doing some prep work for a home project this fine Sunday.  A 33 year newspaper clipping.

For those not in the know, and a bit of fun, a walk down memmory lane.

Newspapers were these publications people once used to purchase in order to get information and entertainment.  News, sports, adverts, personal, that sort of thing.   This particular clipping is from the Winnipeg Sun I believe, sharing space with an Army Surplus add.  In those days you advertised in The Sun for no other reason than that you couldn't afford to advert in the Free Press.   Funny how some things never change.

Pan Am Stadium is the athletics venue between IGF and WSF South and yes, it was a shit hole even back then.  In those days the concrete stand along the west touch line was winged by wooden bleachers so you could get probably 7K in the joint.  More than once they had people camped up on the burms at the south end of the playing field.  Those were good days...

Select-a-Seat was a ticket vendor.  Think Ticketmaster but you actually had to go to one of their locations to pick up tickets.  I shit you not.  The tickets were pre-printed so you had to choose seats from whatever they had left and they kept the inventory in either a sort of photo album under the counter or in this "ticket holding" sort of shelving on the wall.  It was totally bizare.  A season or two later everything went computerized so they joined the 20th century. 

The Vancouver 86's were the team which took up residence in Vancouver when the CSL launched and would over the decades eventually evolve into the Vancouver Whitecaps of MLS, the 1st edition of the Whitecaps having folded with the NASL a few years before the CSL came along.    

You'll notice adult tickets were $7 back then.  For perspective a pack of smokes was $3ish, a case of beer $8 or $9 I think and half-a-quarter (1/8th ounce) was definitely $15 for something solid. 😈

I now return you to 2020.  Like it or not. 

fury crop.jpg

13 hours ago, Cheeta said:

...You'll notice adult tickets were $7 back then.  For perspective a pack of smokes was $3ish, a case of beer $8 or $9 I think and half-a-quarter (1/8th ounce) was definitely $15 for something solid....

No internet or cellphones, so you had to watch Soccer Saturday on TSN to watch the UK highlights from the week before. There will still $1 and $2 bills rather than loonies and toonies. No safe spaces, mansplaining, Jordan Peterson and microaggressions. Simpler times.

20 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

No internet or cellphones, so you had to watch Soccer Saturday on TSN to watch the UK highlights from the week before. There will still $1 and $2 bills rather than loonies and toonies. No safe spaces, mansplaining, Jordan Peterson and microaggressions. Simpler times.

Pretty sure I prefer now....

2 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

Pretty sure I prefer now....

From a soccer viewer, I agree, the rest I'm not so sure about.  Before my 90+ grampa died I asked him what modern things he wished or would have taken back to when he was young. He was born before a world of phones, cars, planes.  He lived to see, supersonic jet airliners, a man on the moon, microwaves,  nukes, computers and cell phones.  The only thing he wanted to take back to the 19th century was a gas powered chain saw.  

On 5/27/2020 at 1:37 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Colin Miller loved Tyson  Farago and he did decent in the NASL.... Not sure what happened last year

Had a short run in Ireland even tho one of his teammates jake Keegan  really pushed for his roster spot.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Well gale did say they had signed three players with cpl experience who where unannounced. My assumption was that based on camp attendees that was Silva, hocinne and one of ricci or the winger who played with cavalry last season ( his name escapes me ). I would think that with riccis brother in camp and he being a likely starter that they would sign both brothers to keep the more prominent one happy