Valour FC Season Thread 2020 2.0

I thought I'd get us started again.

We are having a 'Fauxpening Day' virtual tailgate (via Zoom) on Saturday, during the time that we would have gathered pre-game for Valour's season opener.

If you want to join, I'll email the link and login info if you RSVP here (Zoom limits the number of people that can login, so that's why we need an RSVP rather than just posting the login info)

Rob Gale and  Jose Galan will be joining us.  We are sending some baby gifts for Jose, and he'll open them during the call.

We are also hosting a Quarantine TIFO contest, and the Kings Head is donating a $25 gift card and a scarf as the prize.  Rob Gale, Jose Galan & Chris Graves (from the Kings Head) will be judging.

You can find more details about the contest here: https://www.redriverrising.ca/2020/04/28/kings-head-quarntine-tifo-contest/

We'll also sing a few songs, as we would have on the march to the match. 

We are encouraging people to order take out from the places they would have gathered at pre-game (particularly the Kings Head, Nicolinos & Stone Angel).  Since the tailgate starts early on saturday, you may need to plan ahead and order tomorrow (Friday).

The Kings Head has put together an RRR Tailgate package (6 cans of beer, a frozen pizza and skittles for $35) - https://www.kingshead.ca/new-products-1/valour-fc-red-river-rising-tailgate-package

Edited by MrsC
pasted wrong link

Busy with the kids Saturday so taking a pass.  However, pizza and beer is a no-brainer.

Pity about this whole "pandemic" thingy.  Was so looking forward to coming into the home opener against Ottawa with a 2-0 record.  Especially since I have a DD this season.  

No mention for the scarf design contest?

16 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Busy with the kids Saturday so taking a pass.  However, pizza and beer is a no-brainer.

Pity about this whole "pandemic" thingy.  Was so looking forward to coming into the home opener against Ottawa with a 2-0 record.  Especially since I have a DD this season.  

We had an epic TIFO planned for our opener against Ottawa.  We can shelve it though, and roll it out whenever Ottawa finally makes an appearance here.

Edited by MrsC

38 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Did you get a boob job?

7 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I should have mentioned that as well.  Here are the details on that:

Scarf Design Contest

To help pass the time while we wait for Valour to return to the pitch, we decided to run a contest for our next scarf design. We are looking for entries from Red River Rising  members who support Valour FC and we would love to see what you can come up with!

All submitted designs will be voted on by fellow supporters to determine the winner. We will then hold a pre-order drive to help members guarantee a new scarf as this will be a limited-edition scarf.

The winning designer will receive a scarf on the house as well as your choice of a $20.00 gift card to either the Valour store, Kings Head, or Nicolino’s.

Please see rules:

1. Open to members of Red River Rising who support Valour FC
  2. Can design a traditional Football scarf, or Summer scarf (lighter for hot days)
  3. Entries must incorporate our Red River Rising Logo
  4. Entries are due to contest@redriverrising.ca by 23h59 on May 20, 2020
  5. Voting will begin on May 25, 2020 and close ten days after on June 4, 2020
  6. Winner will be announced shortly after
  7. Pre-ordering open on June 15, 2020 and close July 3, 2020

I suspect the three players would be hoicine, Ricci, villa they were all brought into camp on trial 

i hope they are able to sign Luca ricci as well he would fill the positional void from beland goyettes departure. Same with hundal a backup cf would be great. 

Hmmm.  $3M operating budget.  No surprise there.  $200K loss on the year is a bit surprising to me.    

Going to have loads of fun trying to dissect those very broad numbers, on both sides of the ledger. 

Think we can safely say Valour's gate receits from 2019 are around the $1.5M mark, we know they got roughly $500K from ancillaries.  So where did the other $1M in revenue come from? As crazy good as the sales were that's waaaay too much to all be down to merch.  

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:
If the 10,000+ on opening day was all paid they got off to a very good start financially. Concern for the future would be over how numbers actually showing up tailed away in the fall season after that and what the renewal rate was like.

I think the opener helped, but I don't know if it was a huge thing in the grand scheme of things. Between the lack of success on the pitch, the crappy weather after mid-August and the number of mid-week games I think turning a profit in the first year was definitely possible.

I also think that it means that Forge turned a small profit, Cavalry was probably OK, and that Wanderers are probably off to the races. Ottawa will be fine with that Atletico money too. This year upcoming, Pacific & York9 will be vastly improved and should get better gate so really just kind of worried about FCE.

3 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

...I also think that it means that Forge turned a small profit, Cavalry was probably OK, ...

The Forge were papering the house a lot including freebies for the entire gate on the home opener, so not so sure on them having a profit. Cavalry are the dark horse on that depending on how many of the crazily high tickets they actually sold. The games against the Whitecaps and the Impact and the final against the Forge will have helped them a lot, but they won't have that every season.

Very strange to see Mr Droppings quoting Shermanator. 

As to Cheeta's point, if half the revenue came from the gate, where did the other 1mil or so of income come from?  Is Attardos transfer in there? Where is the TV money worked in??  The teams with playoff/V-cup games might fare even better.  This should give all the usuals lots to chew on.  

Valour didnt have a bunch of expenses setting up a stadium that other teams had.  And they were in the top tier for attendance (5-6000 average).  I am sure the Bombers have to be happy with that balance sheet.  They got 14 extra days use out of the stadium, which I imagine would offset a 200,000 loss for Valour.  Unfortunate that this will probably be the only hard financial numbers we get to see.  

Somebody is starting to ask the right questions, but is ignoring the possibility that the Mediapro deal is not providing any money to the Valour at this point that could be used to provide financial security for the players, because it is simply a case of Mediapro picking up the very large tab for the Onesoccer coverage that would otherwise have been done in house in exchange for selling the tv rights:

The usual subjects on twitter are overlooking that the Bombers used the f-word rather than the c-word to describe their purchase of the Valour in the bottom half of the page.