The Voyageurs Soccer Supporters Corp.

Lofty

Here is the clause on class of member (copied from above). Why does the Voyageurs Corp. need non-voting members? And who knew they had non-voting members?

~~~

Subject to the articles, there shall be two classes of members in the Corporation, namely, Class A members and Class B members. The board of directors of the Corporation may, by resolution, approve the admission of the members of the Corporation. Members may also be admitted in such other manner as may be prescribed by the board by resolution. The following conditions of membership shall apply:

Class A Members

a. Class A voting membership shall be availableonly to individuals who have applied and have been accepted for Class A voting membership in the Corporation.

b. The term ofmembership of a Class A voting member shall beannual, subject to renewal in accordance with the policies of the Corporation.

c. As set out in the articles, each Class A voting member is entitled to receive notice of, attend and vote at all meetings of members and each such Class A voting member shall be entitled to one (1) vote at such meetings.

Class B Members

a. Class B non-voting membership shall be available only to individuals who have applied and have been accepted for Class B non-voting membership in the Corporation.

b. The term of membership of a Class B non-voting member shall be annual, subject to renewal in accordance with the policies of the Corporation.

c. Subject to the Act and the articles, a Class B non-voting member shall not be entitled to receive notice of, attend or vote at meetings of the members of the Corporation.

Everyone is complaining about lack of transparency.  Why wasn't any of this shared with the group, when it was all signed off 18 months ago ?

I'm sure it's just an oversight...........move along.....no Voyageur talk allowed here.

Put me down for some Class A shares.

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

13 hours ago, neuker said:

The mere fact that he adopted the moniker "Lofty" is a dead giveaway of what he thinks about himself. He believes he's elevated, above all of us. He knows more, is more important and smarter than anyone on this board. This whole thread is sheer entertainment if you look at it from this perspective. A grown crybaby whining because his pathetic contributions were erased. He even renounced his membership. Hilarious!

Maybe its Lofty and those who co-sign his banter with little blue hearts that have turned off so many from this board. It certainly is not someone like myself who is highly critical of those running the CSA. I'm not the one responsible for the Canadian Men's National Team's 7.84% success rating in FIFA World Cup Finals, or being unable to string together more than two wins in a row in international matches unless you throw in a match against a Caribbean nation, or only schedule one friendly in Canada over the course of 2 years. Talk like that will get you banned from this board quicker than a racist outburst will. Just ask RS. Does that by chance stand for Richard Scott, the CSA's communications guy? If it is, it explains why our moderator bans me and not those embarrassing fools from the CSA who can't admit that they haven't done anything positive for the CMNT.

No, I certainly cannot take credit for this board's decline in popularity. That honour belongs exclusively to those who express their intolerant views of the world and those who allow them to do so.

In the meantime, just don't reply to them, it's really very easy to do.

I can't wait to read all the replies this post is going to attract from the usual suspects. There's about a dozen of them. The same ones who have done so in the past. Right, RS, Lofty, Ted, Nick Brown, South Melbourne, ahhh I don't have to list all of you do I? You know who you are. Common give us your best.

You've twice used my moniker in your post before preemptively bemoaning my response. Screw that. 

I don't need to ban you, and have never done so. I prefer to make fun of your posts and call you dumb. It's a rite of passage going on 20 years.

20 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Did the email extortion I received come from someone at this site?

Yesterday, after a few days of posts that expressed my critical views on the moderation and management of the Voyageurs, I received an email citing my personal password on this site and attempting to extort me for money. It claimed to have a sex video of me (which of course I wish were true) which they would show to everyone if I did not pay 2000 in Bitcoins.

The password I used here is only used in a few other places, this is the longest standing and most used, so that makes me suspicious.

Using personal data of a user on a website is not legal.

I will be sending a message to the moderators on this board reminding them that email extortion is a crime. 

For those who want to encourage me to laugh this off, let me just say I have knowledge of email scams. I organised a travelling exhibition on the 419 scam quite a few years back, and I am personal friends with technicians and activists working against such fraud. So I am not exactly what you would call naive, I have my eyes open. This email was totally different from any other scam, malware or phishing attempt I have ever seen. 

https://elpais.com/diario/2006/11/23/ciberpais/1164252267_850215.html

Let's not over-react, fine. But let's be careful that people in positions of responsability who may feel their backs are against the wall, are not making decisions they'll regret.

I've told the mods and admins that I'll report to the RCMP if necessary.

Well, I got that email a couple of weeks ago too. I did a two minute google search that explained how it works. Things have changed in 15 years and the days of travelling 419 exhibitions. 

I don’t know why you would claim to be experienced about this kind of thing and still lash out like this at one of the many, many sites you have put an email and password into. It’s conpletely arbitrary. 

Lack of internet savvy is one thing. Baseless accusations and vaugue threats are utterly irresponsible.

Edited by Redpunkfiddle

15 hours ago, Kent said:

You may very well not be racist, but kacbru had it right when he said using that term shows a lack of empathy. It costs you nothing to say COVID, or COVID-19. Heck, it’s even less characters to type. The fact of the matter is that yes China is a place, but Chinese is also a language and yes, a race. The Spanish flu isn’t the same situation for two reasons. First, it was 100 years ago and people try to improve over time. Second, they aren’t a visible minority in Canada (or Britain, I’m not sure where you live at the moment but I believe it’s one of those two) that can be easily singled out by ignorant people. Whether you are one of the people that makes them feel like garbage or not is beside the point. You aren’t doing the smallest little thing imaginable to do your tiny part in not perpetuating shoddy treatment to a group of people.

P.S. If you want to criticize the Chinese government, or any government, be my guest. I also don’t think you should have been banned for saying Chinese virus, but it just seems so odd for it to be a hill to die on.

Not to seem picky here but Chinese is not a language. Mandarin is for mainland China and Cantonese for Hong Kong. No disrespect.

Edited by MtlMario

14 hours ago, nfitz said:

Which doesn't really jibe with the title, given that the ban had nothing to do with the Voyageurs.

While the deleting of old posts may been heavy-handed (it may also have been accidental), I don't see how that justifies attacking the Voyageurs in some kind of revenge. They were quite happy to dump these forums because they didn't want to be associated with some of those who posted there. I don't think that they didn't want to be involved justifies the insults of those who are no longer associated with this place.

Please refresh my memory as to when/where I attacked the Voyaguers.

37 minutes ago, neuker said:

I move that His Excellency, Lofty the First, be made supreme ruler of the Voyageurs for all eternity. No Voyageurs, should ever again, have to be subjected to the indignity and humiliation our long-time and honourable brother Doug was subject to by that evil power-crazy tyrant known as Jamie. To have his enlighten contributions extinguished by the mere stroke of a key is totally unacceptable. I wish somebody would have the courage to report this to the RCMP. This is far more urgent than what's going on in Nova Scotia, right Doug?

What an effing soap opera. Are you done now, Lofty?

It takes a particularly vile sort, lowest of the low, to reference the horrible tragedy that took place in Nova Scotia in a futile dick-swinging contest.  

This is possibly the dumbest thread in the history of this site.  I can tell you that the corporate legalese is all very standard and on the face of it isn’t at all suspicious. The cited by-law is just standard stuff that most corporations have.  

Also, just because there is talk of different class shares doesn’t mean that they’re being utilized.  I’ll leave that to the Director(s) to clear up, if they even want to. 

20 hours ago, nfitz said:

It's like the Confederate flag. It wasn't really racist in the 1970s ... but when white nationalists adopt it, it becomes a racist symbol.

You know that white nationalist are choosing to weaponize the name of the virus, by calling it a Chinese virus. And thus it becomes, while the phrase wasn't particularly racist before ... anyone who still chooses to use it is endorsing racism.

**** racists.

The Dukes of Hazzard was my favorite show growing up! Wow, how times have changed.

I’m lost on the intent of the Voyageurs, but wasn’t it created to be like the US Sam’s Army and provide fans to the CMNT as before the Voyageurs Group was created the CMNT was always playing home games like it was an away game?? Also what happened to Reza?? He was rhe founder of the “Voyageurs” as a small rag tag group that supported the CMNT on that old forum?? Than I remember Jarrek took over and now its been passes to someone else??  I think in this day and age the original V’s forum should never been broken up to this site.  What should happened though is like Sam’s Army and the Southsiders, should’ve started having paid members join the group and with all those member fee’s provide support to the Men’s and Women’s games.  I think that should be the start of the Voyageurs Group, heck we donated money to the V-cup as a group and shoulf start forming a board to see the best interests of the group, if the Voyageurs are big enough. 

14 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

I’m lost on the intent of the Voyageurs, but wasn’t it created to be like the US Sam’s Army and provide fans to the CMNT as before the Voyageurs Group was created the CMNT was always playing home games like it was an away game?? Also what happened to Reza?? He was rhe founder of the “Voyageurs” as a small rag tag group that supported the CMNT on that old forum?? Than I remember Jarrek took over and now its been passes to someone else??  I think in this day and age the original V’s forum should never been broken up to this site.  What should happened though is like Sam’s Army and the Southsiders, should’ve started having paid members join the group and with all those member fee’s provide support to the Men’s and Women’s games.  I think that should be the start of the Voyageurs Group, heck we donated money to the V-cup as a group and shoulf start forming a board to see the best interests of the group, if the Voyageurs are big enough. 

Reza was fine and well last time I saw him; busy with family and work like many of the original V's. You hit the nail on the head in saying that the Voyageurs were originally created in an attempt to get people out to cheer for Canada at home games. Everything else came from that. It was always a group thing, a group of like-minded people who wanted our teams to succeed and feel the support from their ardent fans. That is precisely what this thread is about from my point of view. The loss of the voice of the many. The loss of that feeling that all were a part of a bigger thing and could actually make a difference with our collective efforts. The various incarnations of the V's forum were the places where we could spread knowledge of Canadian players and teams, plan to make home games more pro-Canadian, take initiatives to grow support for our teams and players. This forum is not such a place IMHO.

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

Reza was fine and well last time I saw him; busy with family and work like many of the original V's. You hit the nail on the head in saying that the Voyageurs were originally created in an attempt to get people out to cheer for Canada at home games. Everything else came from that. It was always a group thing, a group of like-minded people who wanted our teams to succeed and feel the support from their ardent fans. That is precisely what this thread is about from my point of view. The loss of the voice of the many. The loss of that feeling that all were a part of a bigger thing and could actually make a difference with our collective efforts. The various incarnations of the V's forum were the places where we could spread knowledge of Canadian players and teams, plan to make home games more pro-Canadian, take initiatives to grow support for our teams and players. This forum is not such a place IMHO.

Well I think in this day and age of social media, the Voyageurs as a group could reinvent themselve or splinter from this site as just like the Southsiders, the group broke up into 3 Supporter groups now as people had different ideas of how to support the team that didn’t mesh well as a whole,  and all groups get along.  I believe the Voyageurs should be there own group and form a charter of how to join, fees, board of directors, etc using twitter, facebook, etc and from there Elect a council that looks after marketing rights, merchandise, CMNT tickets, etc and at the end of year hold an online election and re-elect a new board (with new or current members). Just think Ed that as the group has gotten bigger, the original goals got lost, etc.

8 hours ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

Well, I got that email a couple of weeks ago too. I did a two minute google search that explained how it works. Things have changed in 15 years and the days of travelling 419 exhibitions. 

I don’t know why you would claim to be experienced about this kind of thing and still lash out like this at one of the many, many sites you have put an email and password into. It’s conpletely arbitrary. 

Lack of internet savvy is one thing. Baseless accusations and vaugue threats are utterly irresponsible.

Lashing out is what you are doing. And writing a hack post butchering spelling. Does not make you look too precise.

Since I am not making accusations, a person like you cannot determine if they are baseless. I am simply asking a question. And by doing so trying to ensure that if someone is screwing around, they think twice.

Since you have not been party to the details of the email, you can't speculate on how much I know about it. Nor can you assume that since I did research 14 years ago I just stopped and have not continued. Like many of us I became familiar with Ransomware, likely Russian, a few years ago. Just 2 weeks ago I was in touch with a colleague based in Oregon who is a renowned expert on the subject, not about this subject of course.

I have some idea how the scam works, although this is probably the first time one of this specific nature has made it to my regular inbox, not going into spam directly.

The email, in English, cited the password that I use on this site, I think it is the only English site I use it on. 

Even if this site has scripting problems, it is worth sharing openly as that is the only way we can ensure that others are not having similar problems. 

Lets keep a list of people who want to be members. Please inform me in this thread or by message. If I missed you just tell me and I will add you. I know many people want to be members but I just need you to confirm it then I will put your name down

Class A

Winnipeg Fury
neuker
BigM

Class B

Edited by Big_M

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Lashing out is what you are doing. And writing a hack post butchering spelling. Does not make you look too precise.

Since I am not making accusations, a person like you cannot determine if they are baseless. I am simply asking a question. And by doing so trying to ensure that if someone is screwing around, they think twice.

Since you have not been party to the details of the email, you can't speculate on how much I know about it. Nor can you assume that since I did research 14 years ago I just stopped and have not continued. Like many of us I became familiar with Ransomware, likely Russian, a few years ago. Just 2 weeks ago I was in touch with a colleague based in Oregon who is a renowned expert on the subject, not about this subject of course.

I have some idea how the scam works, although this is probably the first time one of this specific nature has made it to my regular inbox, not going into spam directly.

The email, in English, cited the password that I use on this site, I think it is the only English site I use it on. 

Even if this site has scripting problems, it is worth sharing openly as that is the only way we can ensure that others are not having similar problems. 

Did the email extortion I received come from someone at this site?

I will be sending a message to the moderators on this board reminding them that email extortion is a crime. 

Let's not over-react, fine. But let's be careful that people in positions of responsability who may feel their backs are against the wall, are not making decisions they'll regret.

I've told the mods and admins that I'll report to the RCMP if necessary.

These are your simple questions? You have a different standard of what it means to lay an accusation.

So lets make sure the question is clear. You want to know if someone with authority and  access to passwords at this site pulled yours, created an email address and sent you a blackmail email. And the motive was retribution for you complaining about some kind of moderation issue. 

And then you have a side question of whether data has been stolen from this site and is being used by a scammer. But that doesn't appear to be your main - question.

Edited by Redpunkfiddle

3 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

That is a common scam going around right now. I got that email a few weeks back but with a password I did not recognise. 

Wee Elf got the same one the other week.  Was very disappointed when the dead-line came and went and I didn't get some compromising vid she'd made.

What?  Just trying to keep the flame alive, man. 

I seemed to have missed a lot... but I must admit, @Lofty was clearly not interested in dialogue.  This was about lashing out, otherwise your original post wouldn't have called us the Voyageurs Corporation.  I should know, I've used this tactic before ;)

Now, I actually think that there is always a good time for this conversation, assuming it is civil.  You have not been civil, and your actions that followed were a little embarassing.  I should know, I've done that before too ;)

But now I'm old and I recognize that everything in life takes a lot of time and energy.  I'm not sure who our one director is (if your post is in fact correct.  I'm embarrassed to say I don't know who's in charge here), but I can assume that they are a busy adult.  As such, even making moves to add directors or respond to this thread take time and energy that they probably don't have. 

I think what would be more productive is if you came forward and offered to start a proper dialogue, and then offer your time and energy.  It's petulant of you to be sour about a person who volunteers and gets all persnickety because they haven't volunteered to your standard.  

I am content with how the Voyageurs are presently run.  What would you like to see change about the Voyageurs, and most importantly, what are you prepared to do about it?

On 5/2/2020 at 5:28 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I mentioned I am not only aware of various email scams, I have researched them and did an exhibit about them. I even have a collection of them. And as you rightly mention, most are typified and have certain patterns that are repeated.

That is what I would suppose here.

This was the first I've received that directly cited a personal password accurately. My password for this site. So yes, maybe this website was breached. Timely for that to happen just now don't you think, at a rather sensitive moment in the domain's history.

If someone is screwing around, they are making a mistake.

I've had it happen - a few years ago. Same story. They have a video. I sure have interesting taste, they say. They cite my password, but I used it for several sites so didn't know which one was breached. I would find it very unlikely to come from the mods or anyone associated with the Vs

On 5/3/2020 at 4:16 AM, nolbertos said:

I've been for paid membership for a long, long time. Would have solved many of the issues Jamie seemed to be having on the old site.

3 hours ago, BCM said:

I've been for paid membership for a long, long time. Would have solved many of the issues Jamie seemed to be having on the old site.

I think there should be a vote on that.  I’d be willing to shell $20-40 / person to make the Voyageurs a paid non-profit association, and have an elected board (eg treasurer, president, vice-president, media guy, etc)

Its already incorporated as a non-profit and the membership process as written in by-laws is below. If you want to apply to be a member let me know as Im keeping a list. If you disagree with this corporation being a representation of The Voyageurs thats a different story. In any of these 2 cases give me your email address also.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/CorporationsCanada/fdrlCrpDtls.html?corpId=11034014&V_TOKEN=1588244631826&crpNm=Voyageurs&crpNmbr=&bsNmbr=

Subject to the articles, there shall be two classes of members in the Corporation, namely, Class A members and Class B members. The board of directors of the Corporation may, by resolution, approve the admission of the members of the Corporation. Members may also be admitted in such other manner as may be prescribed by the board by resolution. The following conditions of membership shall apply:

Class A Members

a. Class A voting membership shall be available only to individuals who have applied and have been accepted for Class A voting membership in the Corporation.

b. The term of membership of a Class A voting member shall be annual, subject to renewal in accordance with the policies of the Corporation.

c. As set out in the articles, each Class A voting member is entitled to receive notice of, attend and vote at all meetings of members and each such Class A voting member shall be entitled to one (1) vote at such meetings.

Class B Members

a. Class B non-voting membership shall be available only to individuals who have applied and have been accepted for Class B non-voting membership in the Corporation.

b. The term of membership of a Class B non-voting member shall be annual, subject to renewal in accordance with the policies of the Corporation.

c. Subject to the Act and the articles, a Class B non-voting member shall not be entitled to receive notice of, attend or vote at meetings of the members of the Corporation.

Oh, so when @Lofty called us the Voyageurs Corporation he wasn't being flippant.... I guess I've missed more than I thought. 

Look, we've been down this road before.  And each time there seems to be a lot of support for formalization, but no one is really willing to do anything about it (myself included!). 

I'm not the most active member and am happy with the status quo.  So, for those people that aren't, what would you like to change, and what are you prepared to do about it?

Edited by RJB