Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

6 hours ago, nfitz said:

By that criteria, both Toronto and Ottawa are from the coast! Only a 6-hour drive from Toronto to where the St. Lawrence becomes tidal ... and 7 hours from Hamilton to the Atlantic coast in New England!

Gosh, that's a long flight from Victoria with 3 stops and 4 hops. 

Nope. He said if you have to drive 10 hours to see the ocean you aren’t on the coast. He didn’t say that less than 10 hours puts you on the coast. I apologize for pointing that out/being who I am :)

But yeah, if Winnipeg was on the west coast and Hamilton was on the east coast, this wouldn’t be the 2nd biggest country in the world.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kent said:

Nope. He said if you have to drive 10 hours to see the ocean you aren’t on the coast. He didn’t say that less than 10 hours puts you on the coast. I apologize for pointing that out/being who I am :)

But yeah, if Winnipeg was on the west coast and Hamilton was on the east coast, this wouldn’t be the 2nd biggest country in the world.

How many here have gone coast to coast by land? I have. English Bay to Saint John's Harbour.

A lot of opinions from folks who have not seen their own country (not saying you @Kent but still telling)

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How many here have gone coast to coast by land? I have. English Bay to Saint John's Harbour.

I bet you haven't done it by driving through Labrador and the North West Territories.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A lot of opinions from folks who have not seen their own country (not saying you @Kent but still telling)

PEI to Vancouver to see a Phish concert at GM Place.  That was one hazy, crazy trip...

10 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Funny, as I’ve lived in Cairo (Heliopolis) and Melbourne (St. Kinda), but I can’t recall if either of those were longer than my total trip to Malaysia (Penang). I think it might have been more to do with time during stopovers though. The actual flight to Oz wins hands down for actual flying time for me though - 16 hour flight from San Fran to Sydney.  

My partner's family is actually from Heliopolis, not far from the Heliopolis sporting club. I can't speak to your trips there/back, but my trip was about 17 hours each way, with stopovers definitely a factor. I think on the way there we had maybe 2 hours in Toronto and 3 or 4 in Vienna? 

13 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I live in Melbourne. I'm happy to compare flying times with anyone! 😄 

I was just going to say - try Winnipeg to Perth (in the planning stages currently)!

44 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

I was just going to say - try Winnipeg to Perth (in the planning stages currently)!

I did PEI to Perth.  Something like 36 hrs in total and not a wink of sleep.  And the worst turbulence I have ever  experienced (by far) over the Pacific.   Medicate...

9 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

My partner's family is actually from Heliopolis, not far from the Heliopolis sporting club. I can't speak to your trips there/back, but my trip was about 17 hours each way, with stopovers definitely a factor. I think on the way there we had maybe 2 hours in Toronto and 3 or 4 in Vienna? 

We worked at the British Council in Heliopolis, and lived near Merryland Park. We travelled through Turkey on one journey from Cairo, and through Paris I believe on another. There have been so many connecting flights to different countries now though that they kind of jumble together. 
IIRC the trip to Oz was crazy as it was 6 hours from Toronto to San Fran, stop over of roughly 6 hours and then a 16 hour flight to Sydney. Nowhere near as bad as DM though. 36 hours. Yikes. 

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I haven’t come remotely close to going coast to coast (But I have seen a map, which allowed me to comment). Pathetically enough, I have only been to 2 provinces in my life. By my 29th birthday I had never been further away from my place of birth than you can drive to during daylight. Now I have, but only including international flights. The only places I have been to in Canada you can drive to in 8 or so hours from where I was born.

12 hours ago, T_Bison said:

If you can get a direct flight to London, you can get on the Qantas Heathrow-Perth direct flight. Otherwise, you'll be looking at 3-4 connections and 30+ hours travel time. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kent said:

I haven’t come remotely close to going coast to coast (But I have seen a map, which allowed me to comment). Pathetically enough, I have only been to 2 provinces in my life. By my 29th birthday I had never been further away from my place of birth than you can drive to during daylight. Now I have, but only including international flights. The only places I have been to in Canada you can drive to in 8 or so hours from where I was born.

But that doesn't matter if you were born in a marvellous place ;)

I'm from a different generation, we hitchhiked across Canada in the 70s. That was a privilege, because we met people and did wild detours, and ended up sleeping in the oddest places (got picked up by a carney towing a ride who took us inside the CNE grounds and we pitched tent on a patch basically inside Exhibition Stadium, beyond the right field wall the first season the Jays played), but that world is lost. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 8/9/2020 at 1:49 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've been as far west as Sooke, BC, as far east as New Glasgow, NS and as far north as Dawson City, YT. Only missing 2 provinces (PEI & NL) on my to see list and the other 2 territories. Born in Munich, Germany but lived here most of my life. What an amazing and gorgeous country. I feel so blessed to have grown up here.  

So do I @longlugan (blessed to have grown up here, lol) ... Like you , also was born overseas!!!!!.... And indeed, an amazing & gorgeous country, which I couldn't be prouder to call home, hahahaha... Similarly to how some of our lads feel (namely the double Ds)

In terms of answering your question @Unnamed Trialist, does going from Toronto to Van City count for you as a coast to coast by land journey? U have the privilege to also live in a beautiful gorgeous city like Barcelona btw, manage to visit it nearly 2 years ago & was enamoured with it in fact!!!!... Love everything about it, how is it now btw after this whole corona madness?

Never been to Atlantic Canada, would've had love to go to PEI for the Island games, but very pointless if they don't allow fans into the games, too bad I'm not a CANPL/ONE Soccer staff, boo!!!😢😢

If I was down now in PEI, I would've been collaborating with @dyslexic nam by now

!

Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2020 at 10:49 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've never been to Ontario but I've been to all three coasts. 

Edited by Aird25

2 hours ago, CANMNT_SUPERFAN said:

So do I @longlugan (blessed to have grown up here, lol) ... Like you , also was born overseas!!!!!.... And indeed, an amazing & gorgeous country, which I couldn't be prouder to call home, hahahaha... Similarly to how some of our lads feel (namely the double Ds)

In terms of answering your question @Unnamed Trialist, does going from Toronto to Van City count for you as a coast to coast by land journey? U have the privilege to also live in a beautiful gorgeous city like Barcelona btw, manage to visit it nearly 2 years ago & was enamoured with it in fact!!!!... Love everything about it, how is it now btw after this whole corona madness?

Never been to Atlantic Canada, would've had love to go to PEI for the Island games, but very pointless if they don't allow fans into the games, too bad I'm not a CANPL/ONE Soccer staff, boo!!!😢😢

If I was down now in PEI, I would've been collaborating with @dyslexic nam by now

!

I'm in Vancouver working most summers, so the best of both worlds. Barcelona is intense and you get tired of the noise, the people, the grit. But when I go back end of August I don't find it irritating as I think I might. Another thing I love, as most might imagine, are the football options as a fan. I miss going to lower tier matches in small stadiums as much as the big games at Camp Nou.