Dominik Yankov

jordan

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Do Toronto REALLY need anymore center midfielders? Bradley, Osorio, Delgado, Fraser, Priso AND Yankov? Few too many cooks in the kitchen, isn't it?

The only one that appears as being possibly similar to Yankov (keep in mind I haven't really seen Yankov play) is Osorio, who has gradually transitioned to a deeper role. My understanding is that Yankov plays in the attacking midfield band. TFC have Pozuelo who plays there, but out wide they only have Endoh (meh), De Leon (good, but aging), Gallardo (bad), Achara (injured/unproven), Shaffelburg (bad), and Dorsey (bad, being converted to fullback).

The only good one is maybe Piatti if he comes back (Nelson and Marshall-Rutty waiting in the wings, of course). I would imagine that if they are actually looking at him (I have serious doubts, that tweet may simply be a guy making a guess based on the Canadian connection), they are seeing him as a Piatti replacement. I actually think a creative/attacking mid is a bit of a need for TFC.

Of course, TFC are yet to finalize a coach, which could change everything.

15 hours ago, Shway said:

Not theoretically gone yet. Could be by the March window.

Let me know if I have this right. You are saying he could be gone by March because he has 3 caps, and that is the maximum allowed before a switch right? Or do WCQ matches automatically cap tie as well?

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Let me know if I have this right. You are saying he could be gone by March because he has 3 caps, and that is the maximum allowed before a switch right? Or do WCQ matches automatically cap tie as well?

You can play 3 official matches (including WCQ) and then switch IF you play those matches before turning 21 I believe.

37 minutes ago, top cheese said:

I think it’s looking like Patrick vierra 

That was the rumour for a hot minute, but KJ threw cold water on it pretty quickly. I don't think the TFC front office will be shy in signing someone before a coach is in place tbh.

From 2 days back: https://www.wakingthered.com/2021/1/5/22213131/report-toronto-fc-narrows-coaching-search-down-to-3-candidates

Edit: More recent update from MLS - https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/01/06/patrick-vieira-become-toronto-fc-coach-conflicting-reports-emerge-about-former-nycfc

Viera, Armas or Cherundolo. Although that is putting trust in Rollins lol.

Steve Cherundolo is an interesting link, interesting or scary for someone that has never been the main man and zero experience of the MLS. 

Armas isn't hugely inspiring but beyond the big name and experience I don't think we could guarantee Viera being a success either based on his career so far. He is still my pick from those three though, mainly because I want Henry vs Viera! 

Either way it is encouraging that is appears they are setting the stall out for a youth focus and cultivation in the Coaching picks. Bodes well for our Canadian youngsters imo. 

Edited by toontownman

Saw something in another thread about Yankov and thought it'd be good to shed some light.   

He was never filing his one time switch, he never had contact with Herdman.. Mauro Biello reached out to him last year to discuss the Olympic campaign and guage his interest.  Maybe Herdman and co planned to bring him into a camp and it's probably very unfortunate that the CMNT wasn't able to run a camp over the last few months unlike Bulgaria.  The reports on him as well as the TFC rumor's have been false.

1 minute ago, Footyeh said:

Saw something in another thread about Yankov and thought it'd be good to shed some light.   

He was never filing his one time switch, he never had contact with Herdman.. Mauro Biello reached out to him last year to discuss the Olympic campaign and guage his interest.  Maybe Herdman and co planned to bring him into a camp and it's probably very unfortunate that the CMNT wasn't able to run a camp over the last few months unlike Bulgaria.  The reports on him as well as the TFC rumor's have been false.

How do you know this?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Footyeh said:

Sorry, rarely come on here.  I know the family/entourage.  

Shame to hear this, it really undermines Wheeler’s credibility. Given that more than a few members here are in the know it makes sense. I’ll take your word, and it’s really a shame but hopefully Bulgaria works out for him.

32 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Shame to hear this, it really undermines Wheeler’s credibility. Given that more than a few members here are in the know it makes sense. I’ll take your word, and it’s really a shame but hopefully Bulgaria works out for him.

Or Herdman’s.  It isn’t clear to me where this “confirmation” came from.  I was annoyed at Wheeler for confidently claiming things that weren’t true, but Wheeler could have been regurgitating info dm from Herdman or someone in the CSA.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bulgaria have 3 friendlies coming up next month, and he was called up to the 31 man squad. 

If he appears in one match, he’s officially gone.

It would suck to know that we lost this guy just based on us not scheduling friendlies due to the health experts, that have seemingly changed their tune.

Edited by Shway