Dominik Yankov

jordan

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Only that it's pretty well the same thing, don't you think?

Again, what's the same here? Canada not making it to the world cup?

What big chance did Canada have in the past? They never had any. Today's situation is so different I have no idea why we're even comparing it. Between Canada and Bulgaria, today's situation favours Canada imo.

23 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Wasn't Canada close to qualifying for USA '94?

Yes.  We lost out as we lost to Mexico in the final qualifying match at home.  We were up 1-0, they tied it, we have a goal by Pesch I think ruled offside which wasnt, and they scored when we were pressing to make it 2-1.  Conacacaf only had 1.5 spot then as US was hosts.  Next World Cup was France where we had 3.5 so if that was the case with the US World Cup we would have qualified.

We then lost to Australia in penalties but to be fair, Australia then had to play Argentina to whom they lost

Also, that 94 group was largely developed in the CSL which folded in 93 and we havent had a league from them until last year when CPL started up.  The 86 team was largely developed in the NASL (It folded in 84) which had more Canadian teams than the MLS and Canadians were treated the same as US players so we developed many more than now.

12 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Absolutely ... and with the expanded Euros that chance for re-finding old glory is even higher. Heck it’s the country of Berbatov and Hagi!

This mirrors the vein of commentary when Begovic chose Bosnia.

And whatdoyaknow he played in a World Cup.

(As did de Guzman. As did Hargreaves.)

I mean, are we for sure guaranteed a spot at our tri-hosted World Cup? If any host country is ever gonna get screwed out of a spot ... it’s us.

Berbatov's Bulgaria teams achieved next to nothing and Hagi is Romanian. I think the name you're searching for is Hristo Stoichkov, one of the best in the world in the '90s, who was the undisputed star of the Bulgaria team that went to the semi-final at USA '94 and qualified for 3 consecutive major tournaments in that decade.

43 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Berbatov's Bulgaria teams achieved next to nothing and Hagi is Romanian. I think the name you're searching for is Hristo Stoichkov, one of the best in the world in the '90s, who was the undisputed star of the Bulgaria team that went to the semi-final at USA '94 and qualified for 3 consecutive major tournaments in that decade.

Yes! you are right! It was Stoichkov, my mistake. Oh boy I’m getting old if I can’t remember random sports facts - was always my saving grace! :) On Berbatov at least anyone that played for Bulgaria got to play with him we have nothing of that caliber to rub shoulders with

Edited by The Real Marc

19 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Yes! you are right! It was Stoichkov, my mistake. Oh boy I’m getting old if I can’t remember random sports facts - was always my saving grace! :) On Berbatov at least anyone that played for Bulgaria got to play with him we have nothing of that caliber to rub shoulders with

Um haven't you heard of Davies?.. German treble winner... one of the top lbs.....one of the most valuable players in the world...

This thread went from “we don’t need this guy, he’s playing in the lowly Bulgarian league” to “of course he chose Bulgaria over us” pretty quickly, despite the fact that most of their team plays in that league. And it’s not like the guys who play in other leagues are in a top 5 league. The odds of them becoming competitive in Europe in the next 10 years are pretty damn low.

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

This thread went from “we don’t need this guy, he’s playing in the lowly Bulgarian league” to “of course he chose Bulgaria over us” pretty quickly, despite the fact that most of their team plays in that league. And it’s not like the guys who play in other leagues are in a top 5 league. The odds of them becoming competitive in Europe in the next 10 years are pretty damn low.

That's why I say as long as he's still eligible for us, I'll hold my run with us or run from us piece. 

20 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

They also had Penev, who was also more of a heavy target striker. So with left-footed Stoichkov, and then Kostadinov, they had a quality strike force. I saw some of those players in La Liga, then saw that Bulgaria in a friendly against Catalonia in '97, though some of their stars didn't play. Another strong mid was Balakov. Berbatov came in after that generation and really was not a factor in helping Bulgaria stay at the level of the 90s.

My best Stoichkov story is seeing a hot car swerving all over the road near the Olympic Stadium, and the rest of us drivers honking because he was driving like a lunatic. It was Stoichkov, who decided it was okay to let the steering wheel go while shifting gears. And with his left hand free he waved at everyone, I guess he thought we were honking at him to thank him for his services.

On 11/19/2020 at 9:02 AM, archer21 said:

And it’s not like the guys who play in other leagues are in a top 5 league. The odds of them becoming competitive in Europe in the next 10 years are pretty damn low.

I agree, on paper, they look below us- an EU member to have so few players playing in better leagues... and even so few playing for Ludogoretz which is miles above every other team in the Bulgarian league.

I really don’t think Yankov had much of a choice unless he was willing to temporarily screw his club career.  I’m sure Ludogoretz and the Bulgarian Federation (who would be in cahoots here) would have put a lot of pressure on him.  I just wonder if it was discussed before he signed his extension?  And who knows the financial incentives presented to him to make the choice?

It's always easy to compare paths to the World Cup for a dual national player, but I think with a European dual national there's always the added wrinkle of possible participation in the Euros.  I'll always be proud of Canada winning the Gold Cup, but just qualifying for the Gold Cup vs Euros? Not even comparable as to which is the bigger deal to participate in.  And now that it's restructured in such a way that even a country like North Macedonia can qualify through the D pool of the Nations League, you have to think it's a better chance for Bulgaria to get there.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's always easy to compare paths to the World Cup for a dual national player, but I think with a European dual national there's always the added wrinkle of possible participation in the Euros.  I'll always be proud of Canada winning the Gold Cup, but just qualifying for the Gold Cup vs Euros? Not even comparable as to which is the bigger deal to participate in.  And now that it's restructured in such a way that even a country like North Macedonia can qualify through the D pool of the Nations League, you have to think it's a better chance for Bulgaria to get there.

I really am not a fan of the Euros doing their qualifying that way. It creates an opportunity for a team to tank their way down to the D pool just to have an easy path the the Euros.

Edited by archer21

12 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

I agree, on paper, they look below us- an EU member to have so few players playing in better leagues... and even so few playing for Ludogoretz which is miles above every other team in the Bulgarian league.

I really don’t think Yankov had much of a choice unless he was willing to temporarily screw his club career.  I’m sure Ludogoretz and the Bulgarian Federation (who would be in cahoots here) would have put a lot of pressure on him.  I just wonder if it was discussed before he signed his extension?  And who knows the financial incentives presented to him to make the choice?

In each of Yankov's interviews I have heard or read (three?), he has stated that whichever senior team calls him first, that is who he will play for.  Bulgaria called him first, he responded as he said he would.  Best of luck to him. 

7 hours ago, archer21 said:

I really am not a fan of the Euros doing their qualifying that way. It creates an opportunity for a team to tank their way down to the D pool just to have an easy path the the Euros.

Sure. But even if you remove that method of qualifying, it's still 2 major tournaments Bulgaria can qualify vs 1 for Canada.  Which is maybe more what I was trying to get across.

• 1 month later...

Please no. I'm already annoyed watching Akinola do well for Toronto, not knowing if he will represent Canada or not. Now we have another Canadian playing for Canadas biggest team, but not actually representing Canada. 

Note for TFC. When we asked for more CANCON we meant players that play for OUR national team.

Edited by Stryker911