Dominik Yankov

jordan

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

This thread should never have been created <period>.    At the risk of repeating myself a million times.  

It is just a thread on a Canadian national forum. At the time Dominik was a potential national team player who was playing professionally. Why are you so bothered about this? 

Edited by Buchta

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Continuing.   It one thing to follow and be informed of talents playing abroad who could be eligible for Canada.    However,  its one thing when we are talking about someone of the profile of Bryan Cristante (that stuff i am interested in and we shoukd all be) but ts something totally different when we talking about someone of this kind of profile.

As you know, this is just a soccer supporters forum on the internet. It is fun to discuss all things about Canadian soccer, even potential players. I am not sure why you are so annoyed about this particular thread.  If players from the CPL are being called up to the national team (which is great), there was no harm talking about a Canadian born player playing in Bulgaria.  Again, it should be fun to talk about all things related to Canadian soccer.  Isn't that the point?  

On 11/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, Nate3322 said:

He's getting his third cap today in a nations league game. So I'm pretty sure he's no longer eligible for us. :(

No. He would need to play his 4th "A" level match or a competitive match (at any level) after July 27th 2021 (when he will be 21).

Right now (including today's game) he has played two official matches and one friendly.

So he is not eligible for us until November 16th 2023. The clock is simply reset.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

On 11/14/2020 at 1:32 AM, Buchta said:

As you know, this is just a soccer supporters forum on the internet. It is fun to discuss all things about Canadian soccer, even potential players. I am not sure why you are so annoyed about this particular thread.  If players from the CPL are being called up to the national team (which is great), there was no harm talking about a Canadian born player playing in Bulgaria.  Again, it should be fun to talk about all things related to Canadian soccer.  Isn't that the point?  

Joey*torchia*.     Thats all i have to say.  People familiar with Voyageurs mythology will know what i am talking about. 

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Joey*torchia*.     Thats all i have to say.  People familiar with Voyageurs mythology will know what i am talking about. 

Not the same at all.  One is Joey Torchia and the other is a current Bulgarian interational.  

I have been posting with the Voyageurs since 1996 (under different names), so I am fully aware of Voyageurs mythology.

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

He gets to play against big time countries. We play El Salvador.

Big time countries like Lithuania and Albania in the nations League C cause Bulgaria can't compete with Wales, Ireland or Finland in League B. Or loosing 5-0 to the B teams of big European nations in World Cup and Euros qualification while never qualifying for any tournaments. 

4 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

Big time countries like Lithuania and Albania in the nations League C cause Bulgaria can't compete with Wales, Ireland or Finland in League B. Or loosing 5-0 to the B teams of big European nations in World Cup and Euros qualification while never qualifying for any tournaments. 

Yeah I think that still beats playing El Salvador and St Vincent, and provides much more exposure to European scouts, but we can agree to disagree.

Edited by The Real Marc

21 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

So according to that (your) logic every dual national should not choose us?

I want every dual national to choose us.

But Canada is in a weird space - we're not so crappy as to be dismissed outright but not so good that we attract people with equivalent options.

We're not so bad that an average dual national is a shoo-in to play each game but not so good that you're cavorting with world class teammates.

Playing for us isn't exactly presitigous, isn't a clear path to the World Cup, requires personal sacrifice and carries higher professional risk, largely due to it being a logistical pain and time suck compared to many European nations.

You're not going to be in front of European scouts every game and your coach is going to be someone outside the European coaching sphere, likely climbing the ladder, prolonging their fall, or fresh from coaching Halifax King of Donair.

So I can understand why many don't, that's all.

Of course it's all about context. Bulgaria > Canada, I can appreciate. El Salvador > Canada, less so - unless you're not confident about making the Canadian squad .... then it makes sense. Context.

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

I want every dual national to choose us.

But Canada is in a weird space - we're not so crappy as to be dismissed outright but not so good that we attract people with equivalent options.

We're not so bad that an average dual national is a shoo-in to play each game but not so good that you're cavorting with world class teammates.

Playing for us isn't exactly presitigous, isn't a clear path to the World Cup, requires personal sacrifice and carries higher professional risk, largely due to it being a logistical pain and time suck compared to many European nations.

You're not going to be in front of European scouts every game and your coach is going to be someone outside the European coaching sphere, likely climbing the ladder, prolonging their fall, or fresh from coaching Halifax King of Donair.

So I can understand why many don't, that's all.

Of course it's all about context. Bulgaria > Canada, I can appreciate. El Salvador > Canada, less so - unless you're not confident about making the Canadian squad .... then it makes sense. Context.

So you want them to choose us but they would be wrong doing so. I got it.☹️

It's Bulgaria, you dimwits. They were in a World Cup semi final well after we bombed out of our only WC, and many feel they were screwed by the ref out of a final (clear Italy handball for a penalty). So that is their memory, that is what drives them. The Hungarians have been feeding of glories that happened more than 30 years before that and only now seem to be awakening again. The Finns have finally risen their heads, for the first time. Iceland too, though they are slipping again. Right now in spite of the snarky post by @Nate3322 if they score a goal in the next 15 minutes, as I write, he'll have to revise his post and slag and mock Ireland for the benefit of the Voyageur Board.

In Europe, as long as you are not a minnow, eventually some great things are in store. In Canada, I don't know, we are gifted a spot in the Gold Cup every time and have only really been competitive in that competition twice. Sure, Bulgaria has had 20 bad years, but they face major competition for classification to Euros and Worlds pretty well yearly. Does Nate realize that if Canada were in Europe we would have serious problems to be in Group B never mind stay?

When I think  of International soccer, I think it's safe to say a players main thinking point is "can I make the world cup with this team?"

Canada, most likely, will be going and hosting a world cup. And with the recent rise, we could potentially be heading to Qatar as well. Who knows.

Bulgaria is finishing in their groups with less than 5 points on the regular these days in a MUCH tougher competition than us. You can bring up scouts and exposure all you want, but throwing away a real big chance at a world cup appearance, a life long dream for many and also grants them the biggest exposure a player could get, doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me.

1 hour ago, Colliedor said:

When I think  of International soccer, I think it's safe to say a players main thinking point is "can I make the world cup with this team?"

Canada, most likely, will be going and hosting a world cup. And with the recent rise, we could potentially be heading to Qatar as well. Who knows.

Bulgaria is finishing in their groups with less than 5 points on the regular these days in a MUCH tougher competition than us. You can bring up scouts and exposure all you want, but throwing away a real big chance at a world cup appearance, a life long dream for many and also grants them the biggest exposure a player could get, doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me.

To sum up: anyone who has played for Canada since 1986 has been throwing away their real big change at a world cup appearance. All of them. Assuming a "real big chance" is something that actually exists.

Absolutely ... and with the expanded Euros that chance for re-finding old glory is even higher. Heck it’s the country of Berbatov and Hagi!

This mirrors the vein of commentary when Begovic chose Bosnia.

And whatdoyaknow he played in a World Cup.

(As did de Guzman. As did Hargreaves.)

I mean, are we for sure guaranteed a spot at our tri-hosted World Cup? If any host country is ever gonna get screwed out of a spot ... it’s us.

Edited by The Real Marc

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's Bulgaria, you dimwits. They were in a World Cup semi final well after we bombed out of our only WC, and many feel they were screwed by the ref out of a final (clear Italy handball for a penalty). So that is their memory, that is what drives them. The Hungarians have been feeding of glories that happened more than 30 years before that and only now seem to be awakening again. The Finns have finally risen their heads, for the first time. Iceland too, though they are slipping again.

I'll admit my initial comment was a bit of a shit take and I was disrespectful to Bulgaria a team with historical pedigree but regardless of their history they are not in a good place right now and it doesn't look like things will get any better for them right now. They have been on a steady decline as of late and if you trust the Fifa World Rankings Bulgaria dropped 6 ranks on October 28th.

Right now in spite of the snarky post by @Nate3322 if they score a goal in the next 15 minutes, as I write, he'll have to revise his post and slag and mock Ireland for the benefit of the Voyageur Board.

They didn't score against Ireland, also I have no intention of insulting them even if Ireland had lost, I'm sympathetic to Ireland more than anything especially since they are suffering from a similar problem to us in regards to losing dual nationals like Grealish and Rice with others like Patrick Bamford not even wanting to play for them. 

Does Nate realize that if Canada were in Europe we would have serious problems to be in Group B never mind stay?

Right now I'm confident that we could probably have done better than Bulgaria against Wales, Ireland and Finland and I feel that we have a better squad at the moment when compared to Bulgaria's too.

Edited by Nate3322
Spelling

22 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

I'll admit my initial comment was a bit of a shit take and I was disrespectful to Bulgaria a team with historical pedigree but regardless of their history they are not in a good place right now and it doesn't look like things will get any better for them right now. They have been on a steady decline as of late and if you trust the Fifa World Rankings Bulgaria dropped 6 ranks on October 28th.

They didn't score against Ireland, also I have no intention of insulting even if Ireland had lost, I'm sympathetic to Ireland more than anything especially since they are suffering from a similar problem to us in regards to losing dual nationals like Grealish and Rice with others like Patrick Bamford not even wanting to play for them.

Right now I'm confident that we could probably have done better than Bulgaria against Wales, Ireland and Finland and I feel that we have a better squad at the moment when compared to Bulgaria's too.

Fair comments. 

Just curious how you think we'd have gotten those three points in that group.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Fair comments. 

Just curious how you think we'd have gotten those three points in that group.

Well I'm not sure if you'd agree but I feel that our squad best squad is comparable to Wales, Finland, and Ireland (except at CB) and I  feel that we could beat or draw Ireland because they are not great offensively (haven't scored more than one goal in 2020) we'd just have to crack through their defense which is doable considering our strong attacking players. Wales is the hardest team to beat I'm not sure if we could beat them but our midfielder is stronger than theirs especially with Ramsey injured constantly. If we could keep Bale, Brooks, James, Wilson and their other offensive players quite we could pull off a draw. If we dig in and play on the counter we could potentially beat them. Finland on paper are comparable or a bit worse than us(except for Pukki and Hradecky) and they call on many MLS players like Lod, Raitala, Lappalainen and Schüller. Finland did however beat France so I'm not sure how I'd rate our chances of beating them or drawing them. These are just my thoughts on how we'd stack up against them.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

To sum up: anyone who has played for Canada since 1986 has been throwing away their real big change at a world cup appearance. All of them. Assuming a "real big chance" is something that actually exists.

I don't know what your point is here. I'm talking about one thing and you're talking about something else.