Dominik Yankov

jordan

I hate to say this and I know people here are gonna blow up but think about it. Playing international football these days is basically like club football. Players are gonna go to biggest/most popular  club or the club that is gonna give them a chance to showcase their talent/play at the highest level. This not like hockey where players play for their nation for pride. International football is a business. If Scotland called up Arfield do you really think we would have a chance for him ? 

Edited by SpecialK

Its the chronic, camp skipping, no game playing attitude that Herdman hasnt done anything to change.  There are real consequences to never playing, its not just us fans complaining we never see the national team.  Even with covid they should have worked on having a mini camp in canada, even if its only CPL guys etc.  Herdman could have worked them out and made some decisions on guys.  

Well Yankov couldnt have made it much plainer...I'm talking to CSA, I'm interested, but I'll prob go with whoever gives me games first. 

The lack of games didnt just start with Covid, and it sure didnt start with Herdman.  But he has been there coming on 3 years, we were all hoping he would change things eh? 

We were packing our schedule with random friendlies when the stupid ass WC qualifying scenario was announced and calling up some really random players, some from Europe (Brym, Bassong). What was Yankov's status at the time? I'm not sure who or what to be upset at.

Herdman cap tied Busti in a WC qualifier lmao. I'm sure he'd cap tie Yankov as soon as he could, so I don't know if it's a case of Herdman not knowing about Yankov or Yankov wasn't ready to commit before.

I don't think anyone thinks Herdman is the messiah or the best choice for the Mens Team but I can't quickly agree with the hate on this page. I will match the conjecture with my own though. 

- I am pretty sure much like us, Herdman would organize more friendlies and training camps more often. It is surely the CSA that will make those decisions as they bankroll it. Nothing to say Herdman hasn't tried and been told no money. That conjecture seems more likely to me.

- As mentioned, Herdman has captied (under the old system) quite a few players. Yankov might not have been willing to commit before but he also likely wasn't a better option than many others at that time. The Iceland game/camp would have been a window to do it maybe?

It is a kick in the teeth for sure, I am happy to blame Herdman for being a little naive, IF he told Wheeler Yankov was ours AND told Wheeler he could spread that info. I don't feel he is the big bad though even if he is a contributor in this case. lots of factors in play, as always.

Am I the only one that watched the Wheeler explanation or am I the only one that thinks there is even a chance what he says is true? His understanding was that they were filing for his one time switch, which of course would have been with Yankov’s blessing. That to me sounds like it is worthy of a report that Yankov will represent Canada, at least as strong as any transfer report anybody here has ever read. Wheeler goes on to say that part of the process of filing a one time switch involves notifying the FA that stands to lose the player. This seems incredibly likely to be the case (can you imagine being told by FIFA after the fact that you lost a player?) so it was likely this notification from FIFA about him switching, not that someone from the Bulgarian FA fluent in English was watching OneSoccer coverage of the Canadian national team, that exposed our evil plot to steal their player.

Yes, we absolutely should play as many friendlies as we can. Did our lack of doing so make us lose Yankov? Not likely. Our lack of youth camps and scouting outside the MLS academies very well may have made a difference, but us missing the October window I am less sure of.

nothing wrong here..been abroad since age 13 then in bulgaria since 16 and played for their u17-19-21 so no surprise he goes to them first..canada has plenty of players better or same level..he hasnt been a starter a full season yet so remains to be seen where he can go..again fifa is opening up so more and more opportunities to switch..who knows what are the rules in 5 or 10 years..best wishes to him and moving forward

He’s been a starter for just about 2 years between the second team, Botev, and now the first team, and has played 80 plus games in that time frame. So to say he hasn’t even been a starter for a full season yet is a little ways off.

Canada does not have a player who is an attacking midfielder who is at the same level or a  higher calibre than him and especially at his age! 

So supporters please stop dumbing him down and saying oh he’s replaceable or he’s just a young player. If he choice Canada he would have made the senior team hands down! 

Canada screwed up on this. He should have been called up sooner and not to the youth team .  Simple 

watch I bet they are gonna say David. David is a CF/SS not a midfielder so don’t use him as an example. 

Edited by SpecialK

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

talking about first tier of bulgaria..not gonna talk about second tier when it comes to national team..at botev it was around 50-50 between starter and sub..again gotta see how it goes in upcoming seasons

From div 2 to international player, other than a bigger club I’ll be interested to see what “how it goes in upcoming seasons”  is

18 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Canada does not have a player who is an attacking midfielder who is at the same level or a  higher calibre than him and especially at his age! watch I bet they are gonna say David. David is a CF/SS not a midfielder so don’t use him as an example. 

I'll still bring up David although he hasn't been used as such in a while. Lille might have to try it soon as it worked perfectly at Gent. Canada doesn't need too thus far.

We might have something in Mitrovic but yeah, it sucks to lose him.

18 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Canada screwed up on this. He should have been called up sooner and not to the youth team .  Simple 

I don't think it's that simple as we were trying to make the hex by finishing top 6 the whole time due to that stupid format where all the firendlies were like "life or death".

I will however agree that calling him up against Barbados early 2020 would have been a better idea than a Nelson or a Bair who we know can't really go anywhere else. Let's keep in mind that it took him filling switching papers for Bulgaria to cap him in a lost cause - says a lot about how they rated him during that period. It's really recently that he mad his coming out so... yeah it still sucked but Herdman was talking to him already. I hate it, but it is what it is...

We'll see if lessons were learned since I now believe we should call up Akinola while we can still beat the US to it and Corbeanu and Mitrovic in the Gold Cup this summer.

see my charts

Edited by Ansem

Too much blame is being put on CSA on this one... he was playing second division Bulgaria last season and has had a meteoric rise at the worst possible time (when we haven’t been able to play a game that would cap-tie him).

it really hurts to lose him but the move to join Bulgaria was his best short term option (to establish himself at Ludogorets with a future move to a bigger Euro club).  Still, with that said, I’ll be the first one hoping he regrets his choice when Canada starts qualifying for major tournaments in the near future like the Olympics and then the World Cup in 2022, and then down the road when Bulgaria never plays a game in a Euro or World Cup.

52 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Too much blame is being put on CSA on this one... he was playing second division Bulgaria last season and has had a meteoric rise at the worst possible time (when we haven’t been able to play a game that would cap-tie him).

it really hurts to lose him but the move to join Bulgaria was his best short term option (to establish himself at Ludogorets with a future move to a bigger Euro club).  Still, with that said, I’ll be the first one hoping he regrets his choice when Canada starts qualifying for major tournaments in the near future like the Olympics and then the World Cup in 2022, and then down the road when Bulgaria never plays a game in a Euro or World Cup.

We haven't made any effort to schedule ANY games, and covid is just providing a convenient excuse for the CSA to do nothing (could still do European based camps like Mexico and the USA). We don't need official games right now, we just need concrete reason to start prying to kid away from Bulgarian, given him something to force him to think twice about accepting those call ups. We also had friendlies not too long ago I recall, and no offence, instead of calling a guy like Yankov, who WAS playing pro at the time already, we call CPL players. So yes, this is on the CSA.

26 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

So when theoretically should Yankov have been cap tied? The November 2019 NL game against the US?

Ya they could have or brought him in during the Iceland camp. 

they brought in Busti when he was like 18-19 and less of a resume. I’m very happy they did BTW. He’s gonna find his game I have faith. 

Edited by SpecialK

I really wish we could have capped him too, but it’s hard to blame Herdman. When Yankov showed what he was capable of, Herdman got him to commit.

If he would have tried to get him to come to the Iceland friendlies, there’s nothing saying Bulgaria wouldn’t have caught wind of it and stolen him then anyways. And I’m sure everyone would have been chirping at Herdman for calling up a player at Botev to those matches instead of a CPL or MLS player. 

2 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I really wish we could have capped him too, but it’s hard to blame Herdman. When Yankov showed what he was capable of, Herdman got him to commit.

If he would have tried to get him to come to the Iceland friendlies, there’s nothing saying Bulgaria wouldn’t have caught wind of it and stolen him then anyways. And I’m sure everyone would have been chirping at Herdman for calling up a player at Botev to those matches instead of a CPL or MLS player. 

I don’t think he earned a call to either US game in 2019 but he should been called to the January 2020 camp. I just have a hard time believing he would have accepted at that point.

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don’t think he earned a call to either US game in 2019 but he should been called to the January 2020 camp. I just have a hard time believing he would have accepted at that point.

He was playing at Botev in January 2020. None of us even knew who he was, he didn’t even have a page on this forum yet.