Dominik Yankov

jordan

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

That link doesn't work, just takes me to the sportingnews home page.

@Daryn27, this link should work. https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/fifa-shapes-new-rule-help-players-switch-national-team/

Edited by Kent
Sportsnet link instead of ad blocker hating Forbes link.

OK, someone correct me if I am wrong. I think this is the situation.

Yankov is captied if/when
- he plays his 4th game (including friendlies) for Bulgaria
- he plays a game for Bulgaria after his 21st birthday (July 28th, 2021)
- the other rule is to play in a World Cup or the Euro Cup, but since Bulgaria got elminated form Euro 2021, and the next World Cup is after his 21st birthday, this rule isn't necessary for his case.

Yankov is eligible for Canada if/when
- on October 8th (or 9th?) 2023 he still hasn't met the above criteria, and successfully applies for his one time switch.

I don’t understand how Canada still doesn’t have the resources to get Friendlies, get camps going, have a full scouting team and all the bells and whistles. Something doesn’t add up here. We have arguably one of the best young talent in the world who plays for one of the biggest teams in the world. We have one of the most legendary women soccer player of all time, One of the best women Cbs in the world, we have MLS stars and our national team is on rise and now a new canadian league. Why aren’t sponsors just knocking at the door ? 

I really hope we learn from this experience I doubt it though, because they went through kinda the same crap with Cristante and Tomori and didn’t learn a damn thing. I hope Theo really signs on and Romania doesn’t start sniffing around because he’s gonna be a star. 

30 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Sorry about that. Thanks for the better link

For what it’s worth, your link was from after FIFA voted on it and made it official. Mine was about the proposal, before the vote. I am assuming there weren’t changes to the proposal by the time it became official. Does anybody know for sure?

Wheeler explains what he heard from his sources today here (at 27:30)  .

Yankov texted CSA today with "I live in Bulgaria and this opportunity presented itself" according to Wheeler.

He must have been getting lots of positive pressure from club and Bulgaria after his hot start to the season.  He's young an impressionable and obviously has a connection to Bulgaria - they are all probably celebrating his choice.  I also wonder if he got a little under-the-table bonus?

I really don't see any hope of a switch even if this proposed change of rules comes about.  If he continues his good form, he'll likely exceed the 3 games played soon enough.

23 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t understand how Canada still doesn’t have the resources to get Friendlies, get camps going, have a full scouting team and all the bells and whistles. Something doesn’t add up here. We have arguably one of the best young talent in the world who plays for one of the biggest teams in the world. We have one of the most legendary women soccer player of all time, One of the best women Cbs in the world, we have MLS stars and our national team is on rise and now a new canadian league. Why aren’t sponsors just knocking at the door ? 

Dont get this mixed up, CSA has plenty of money to send the women to friendlies, cups and tournies (Algarve/Cyprus etc). They get 10-15 games every year and have for 20 years.  CSA gets more bang for the buck..the ladies win, its cheaper to bring them together for games.  (They didnt use to be scattered all over the world like the men.)  It should be changing for the men...but shit like this always seems to trip us up.  

6 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Yankov texted CSA today with "I live in Bulgaria and this opportunity presented itself" according to Wheeler.

Can't believe we got broken up with via text

(actually yes I can the more I think about it)

3 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

I had been meaning to comment on people on this thread saying Yankov is a man of his word. Only if you don’t count what he was saying to Herdman/CSA. Clearly they were under the impression that he was going to play for Canada, and from what Wheeler is saying it sounds like he was at the last hurdle when he changed his mind.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

I had been meaning to comment on people on this thread saying Yankov is a man of his word. Only if you don’t count what he was saying to Herdman/CSA. Clearly they were under the impression that he was going to play for Canada, and from what Wheeler is saying it sounds like he was at the last hurdle when he changed his mind.

I guess we can start calling him Wankoff now. 

5 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

He must have been getting lots of positive pressure from club and Bulgaria after his hot start to the season.  He's young an impressionable and obviously has a connection to Bulgaria - they are all probably celebrating his choice.  I also wonder if he got a little under-the-table bonus?

I really don't see any hope of a switch even if this proposed change of rules comes about.  If he continues his good form, he'll likely exceed the 3 games played soon enough.

not sure what's worse... that we got the boot through a text (if true), or that a CSA official is leaking out this sort of info to.. Wheeler... this just screams "clown show"

Edited by LeoH037

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Cristante not only played but scored the opener/winning goal in a 6-0 thrashing of Moldova (not sure why Italy is choosing to play Moldova in a friendly, but that's another issue for another thread). So yeah, bad example.

Maybe because playing games, even against meh opponents, is better than not playing games (like Canada is so fond of doing). If we had played a game this window Yankov could be a Canadian international. One of my biggest gripes with Herdman is he doesn't seem to want to actually play many matches, and certainly does not push the CSA to schedule them. Really frustrating.

Part of me wants Yankov to blow up, reach his potential, become a key player for Ludogorets, then make a big money transfer to a top Bundesliga club and have a long, productive career. Hopefully that will light a fire under the CSA to do a better job recruiting dual nationals, and also PLAY GAMES. ffs...

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Maybe because playing games, even against meh opponents, is better than not playing games (like Canada is so fond of doing). If we had played a game this window Yankov could be a Canadian international. One of my biggest gripes with Herdman is he doesn't seem to want to actually play many matches, and certainly does not push the CSA to schedule them. Really frustrating.

Part of me wants Yankov to blow up, reach his potential, become a key player for Ludogorets, then make a big money transfer to a top Bundesliga club and have a long, productive career. Hopefully that will light a fire under the CSA to do a better job recruiting dual nationals, and also PLAY GAMES. ffs...

Ill be rooting for the kid if only for this, seriously.

Edited by LeoH037

At least Yankov will have a real future with Bulgaria, they played him not just to lock him up, but because they believe in him and will need him.

Unlike the real wanker who is Southgate.  Preaching England didn't need to resort to "locking up" any of the young promising generation which included Abraham and Tomori.  Yet he did just that 2 weeks later.

Let's hope that he thought it would be cool to represent his roots, the country of his parents.  And now he's worn that jersey, he can come join the better program now!

In all seriousness, Canada is a very multicultural country and the majority of our top soccer players come from families of immigrants.  Yes, we now have MLS academies & the CPL to help maintain and hone local talent.  But I think we can all agree that we enjoy and love to see our players move to Europe at a young age to develop further. 1) Better training 2) Higher level of play in academies and senior squads.  The unfortunate part is that many of these young players move to these European countries of their parents and grandparents and develop in their systems and become noticed by both youth and senior national teams.  We've seen it over and over again, especially with the European programs.  Examples, Tomori-England, Cristante-Italy, Yankov-Bulgaria, Ferierra-Portugal and even Ferdi-Has caught the eye in both Netherlands & Turkey where he's played. 

The biggest problem is that we are unable to get these young players involved in our youth programs.  Where we can instil the program and the culture into their blood.

1) Our youth programs do not play enough games.

2) Our youth programs are either not calling on good European talent or they are missing the scouting.

If Yankov had an international youth career with Canada that is similar to Ayo Akinola for USA, do we lose him to Bulgaria this week?  The answer is most likely no.

And obviously every player is different.  We had Tomori in our youth system but clearly the only thing Canadian about him was that he was born here and left before he could walk.  Both Ferdi & Cristante also very distant Canadians.

This Yankov one hurts a little more like the Fereira one.  Both born in Canada and lived and trained in Canada for years before moving to Europe to play.

Edited by Corazon

I kind of thought this stuff was going to stop happening so often.  With more of these kids spending time at the MLS academies and the CPL creating more pathways for kids to stay here, play here and get exposure so they can end up moving on to europe if they are good enough.  Plus our program is on the rise and should be a bit more attractive to young players.  

Tough to get the kid into our program when he left at 13, and has been with Bulgaria youth set up ever since and is playing in Bulgaria now.  Although he did seem genuine about repping canada  (not like Jon DGZ), this one stings a bit..even though I never head of him until this year, HAHA.  Well good luck to him..gives me a reason to tune into Bulgaria and ludogrets to keep tabs on him.  

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Let's hope that he thought it would be cool to represent his roots, the country of his parents.  And now he's worn that jersey, he can come join the better program now!

In all seriousness, Canada is a very multicultural country and the majority of our top soccer players come from families of immigrants.  Yes, we now have MLS academies & the CPL to help maintain and hone local talent.  But I think we can all agree that we enjoy and love to see our players move to Europe at a young age to develop further. 1) Better training 2) Higher level of play in academies and senior squads.  The unfortunate part is that many of these young players move to these European countries of their parents and grandparents and develop in their systems and become noticed by both youth and senior national teams.  We've seen it over and over again, especially with the European programs.  Examples, Tomori-England, Cristante-Italy, Yankov-Bulgaria, Ferierra-Portugal and even Ferdi-Has caught the eye in both Netherlands & Turkey where he's played. 

The biggest problem is that we are unable to get these young players involved in our youth programs.  Where we can instil the program and the culture into their blood.

1) Our youth programs do not play enough games.

2) Our youth programs are either not calling on good European talent or they are missing the scouting.

If Yankov had an international youth career with Canada that is similar to Ayo Akinola for USA, do we lose him to Bulgaria this week?  The answer is most likely no.

And obviously every player is different.  We had Tomori in our youth system but clearly the only thing Canadian about him was that he was born here and left before he could walk.  Both Ferdi & Cristante also very distant Canadians.

This Yankov one hurts a little more like the Fereira one.  Both born in Canada and lived and trained in Canada for years before moving to Europe to play.

I agree with what you are saying and I get upset just as much (if not more) than the next guy when a player doesn't choose us, but, and I'm speaking about a players mentality here, if he or she is born and raised here and chooses another country (because parents, grandparents or their family pet was born there) do you really want these players on your team?  It's like you know this person from grade school, start dating in high school, get engaged to be married and just before the wedding decides to marry the neighbor because he has a better car and bigger house. Just my feelings.😕

He’s being telling everyone, I think he’s done like 5 interviews saying the same thing. Whoever calls me up first I’ll play for them. If Canada wasn’t so stupid, we would have had him. We lost him because we were slow and fucked around with saying hey come play for u23 team and see what happens. 

33 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I agree with what you are saying and I get upset just as much (if not more) than the next guy when a player doesn't choose us, but, and I'm speaking about a players mentality here, if he or she is born and raised here and chooses another country (because parents, grandparents or their family pet was born there) do you really want these players on your team?  It's like you know this person from grade school, start dating in high school, get engaged to be married and just before the wedding decides to marry the neighbor because he has a better car and bigger house. Just my feelings.😕

Completely understand.  But on the other side of things, we have no problem accepting it the other way around.  It's a bit hypocritical in my mind.  For decades we have accepted players that have chosen us over their home countries.  I'm not even talking about players like Davies, Adekugbe, Didic, Manjrekar James, Jonathan David, Charles Andres-Brym, ZBG, Jakovic,& Borjan (who are all born in other countries but moved here at some point of their life.  I'm talking about our captain Arfield and others such as Cordova, Wotherspoon & Leutwiler for an example.  

I understand what your saying but it sure feels good to have a player like Arfield in our program who didn't even know he was eligible for Canada just a few years ago.  I know we would have also welcomed both Ferdi & Cristante with open arms.

I get torn up as much as anyone when we lose players to other nations but I also understand and accept both sides of it.  I'm just stating that I wish and I believe that we could be doing more to maintaining some of our dial internationals, especially one's that have strong connections to the country.

Edited by Corazon