Dominik Yankov

jordan

3 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Again, I understand that. But that sets a dangerous precedent for me. What if a more talented player, playing for a better club isn't playing much compared to a less talented player playing for a weaker club. What's the conclusion? Are we really going to call up the "worse" guy of the 2? And like I mentioned earlier, if that's the case, Fazili is playing WAY more than players like Fraser yet gets no mention. Ennin is playing first team soccer compared to Millar, Tabla etc. So should we call them up too?

These guys are professionals. They're still playing reserve games and still game fit through all of this. I personally don't see much wrong with it. The only time I can see using game time as a good example is when you have players around the same skill level. But if there's a gap between them, I personally think it's just silly.

meant in reserves.  A couple of random full matches on youtube a while back, but it's been taken down.

There are no precedents. The manager picks the players for every match/camp based on whatever criteria he thinks is most important at that time. The reasons he chooses Player X this time doesn't lock him into picking Player Y next time based on those same reasons.

One thing Canada has struggled with as a national team for years is having a deep player pool. We’ve all heard the unattached FC jokes for a long time but now we actually have many Options moving forward. Adding Yankov, Mitrovic,Brym and many other young players to the mix will only help us with strong squad competition. No walk ons anymore 

if they are willing to compete And commit  call them up and let them fight for a spot  

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

If you have watched Mitrovic and Brym, and judge Mitrovic to be inferior and not of the same skill level, then fair enough.

That is kind of surprising to me though, considering Mitrovic has been playing and scoring in the Serbian league, for a club which is second in the table, while Byrm has been (presumably) playing for the reserves.

Yeah, the Belgian Pro League is stronger, but the club Brym plays for is pretty mediocre, at least based on their results. Maybe his club would be in second in Serbia for all we know, but even then Byrm is still only playing reserve team ball. 

Just to be clear, I am not making a case for Mitrovic. It just strikes me as odd. 

I guess one of the reasons I don't like the "reserve" argument is that, when you look at Canada's squad, there are multiple players that were in Brym's situation who we now considered key parts to our team.

Osorio, Kaye, Miller, Laryea, etc were all playing for reserve teams in the same age range as Brym. I mean, if ZGB didn't make the mls move, who knows what his situation would be like too.

We had players like Piette, James, Vitoria etc all playing in lower tier divisions till they were almost mid 20's.

These guys always had the talent, they just never got that break and the exposure early on imo. For Herdman to even call up Brym in his situation kinda shows me that he at least saw something in him.

Maybe bringing up Brym was still a bad example, I understand that. I guess I was just trying to make an argument that I still prefer a player like him and his skill set over a teen that I personally think still needs to get things worked out, despite him playing more. But yes I can see why people won't like that argument and that's fair.

As for Mitrovic. Like I said earlier, perhaps if he continues to improve in the near future he can be considered. But yes as of today, he still plays like a 17 year old if that makes sense.

Gets shrugged off easily, his touches can be heavy at times, over reliant on his preferred foot, decision making, end product is hit and miss, etc.

Quite honestly, the quality of the league was.... something else. Felt like I was watching Rugby half the time with some of the tackles I saw lol.

Anyway I kinda brought this whole thing way off topic. Sorry about that.

No surprising but still worth mentioning Yankov not selected in the 25 man roster for the Bulgarian national team for their matches vs Ireland and Wales.

edit : sorry didn't see the above was already posted I thought they released it today.

Edited by scullion44

9 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Really? A bit of hyperbole methinks! 

Off the top of my head, a stranger defection is Lensky.

Lensky was strange, yes. But headed to a much stronger nation (at a time when Canada was much weaker and not hosting the World Cup) so not as strange.

Who else could compare? Andreas Vaikla maybe?

3 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

As per Ludogorets, Yankov has tested positive for Covid-19

https://ludogorets.com/en/news/?i=3673

Wonder if that rules him out for October. Hope the young man has a speedy recovery and can get back on the field asap. I think his club is in UCL qualifying right now, so there are chances for him if he can quickly get back into the fold.

23 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Wonder if that rules him out for October. Hope the young man has a speedy recovery and can get back on the field asap. I think his club is in UCL qualifying right now, so there are chances for him if he can quickly get back into the fold.

I was looking at their twitter page to see if he was in the lineup today and I saw the story. As you mentioned, hopefully he can recover quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

He's a young man with presumably no underlying health issues, so it was to be expected he'd come back quickly from a coronavirus.

Nice to see him score upon  his return. May want to start crossing our fingers though. He did say he will play with whoever calls first.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He's a young man with presumably no underlying health issues, so it was to be expected he'd come back quickly from a coronavirus.

Nice to see him score upon  his return. May want to start crossing our fingers though. He did say he will play with whoever calls first.

The problem is that Bulgaria will have two camps before we get one. So they'll have an advantage in capping him

Edited by Nate3322

56 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

The problem is that Bulgaria will have two camps before we get one. So they'll have an advantage in capping him

I know he said something to that effect but I would be surprised if a player made that kind of life decision simply on the basis of who tries to get him on the pitch first.  You have to think that he would get a sense of the interest from each camp and then make a choice.

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know he said something to that effect but I would be surprised if a player made that kind of life decision simply on the basis of who tries to get him on the pitch first.  You have to think that he would get a sense of the interest from each camp and then make a choice.

I tend to agree but only if he is leaning towards Canada, because even leaning towards us slightly may be enough to keep him non-committed for the time being. However, the fact remains that he is playing for Bulgaria's youth team and scoring for their biggest club, so it does seem we are on the outside track. My hope is that the allure of the 2026 world cup and playing alongside Davies may push him toward us.

20 hours ago, Obinna said:

I tend to agree but only if he is leaning towards Canada, because even leaning towards us slightly may be enough to keep him non-committed for the time being. However, the fact remains that he is playing for Bulgaria's youth team and scoring for their biggest club, so it does seem we are on the outside track. My hope is that the allure of the 2026 world cup and playing alongside Davies may push him toward us.

In one of his interviews, I think Premiere Podcast, he said he has played with Davies and David in Canadian Youth team camps and knows them both well.  Can't remember if he said he keeps in touch with them.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:19 AM, Shway said:

For anyone interested. He seems quite the number 8. 

Really?  On some clips, he is playing on fields where there are no stands (just trees).   At other times,  there are stands with seats but they are completely empty with no fans.

what does this tell us?  Answer:  these are training matches or scrimages. Or reserve matches.    Or he plays in environment /club where the infrastructure are so poor that the club can afford any kind of quality.  If you are a real promising talent and wish to put tgether a video/resume of yourself, is this the kind of environement, matches and opponents that you would include.  this should be red flag number one. 

This should tell us most of what we need to know.  I dont know why there are eight pages on this.  Or why a player of this kind of profile would be of any interest to anyone who follows the fortunes of the canadian mens nation team.   It started on page one  with a twitter post from an unknown source who said that this guy was REPORTEDLY called up.  Nothing from the CSA coaches.  That should be red flag number two.  
Red flag number three:  professional soccer player in Bulgaria.  Can you name one pro Club of any renown from Bulgaria?  Without look it up?  

Red flag number 4:   Just look at his profile, very few senior team appearance for a twenty year playing professionally in a secondary (i might be generious here) league.    I could go on and on.  
Why do Voyaguers keep getting played like fiddles.  How can anyone say that there arent countless talent right here in North american in front of our eyes with better profiles and track record.   Why do we continously let ourselves get used by people looking to boost their profile through anonymous channels. 

Edited by Free kick

39 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Really?  On some clips, he is playing on fields where there are no stands (just trees).   At other times,  there are stands with seats but they are completely empty with no fans.

what does this tell us?  Answer:  these are training matches or scrimages. Or reserve matches.    Or he plays in environment /club where the infrastructure are so poor that the club can afford any kind of quality.  If you are a real promising talent and wish to put tgether a video/resume of yourself, is this the kind of environement, matches and opponents that you would include.  this should be red flag number one. 

This should tell us most of what we need to know.  I dont know why there are eight pages on this.  Or why a player of this kind of profile would be of any interest to anyone who follows the fortunes of the canadian mens nation team.   It started on page one  with a twitter post from an unknown source who said that this guy was REPORTEDLY called up.  Nothing from the CSA coaches.  That should be red flag number two.  
Red flag number three:  professional soccer player in Bulgaria.  Can you name one pro Club of any renown from Bulgaria?  Without look it up?  

Red flag number 4:   Just look at his profile, very few senior team appearance for a twenty year playing professionally in a secondary (i might be generious here) league.    I could go on and on.  
Why do Voyaguers keep getting played like fiddles.  How can anyone say that there arent countless talent right here in North american in front of our eyes with better profiles and track record.   Why do we continously let ourselves get used by people looking to boost their profile through anonymous channels. 

I agree, we can't trust anyone who played in Bulgaria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_Borjan

I dont mean to pick on this kid in particular.    I went through the first two pages of most recent posts for the players in this section of the forum MNT.  What i noticed is that more than half of the threads for player in this forum are for players whose pedigree/profile/resume does NOT or should not be of any interest to anyone involved or who follows the National team in canada.   
this has been a beef of mine for a very long.  Someone might say, so what?   Ok i will give an example.   On another thread,  some poster (who in my mind has little credibility) reponded to with the names of one of these guys in order to rebuttle the notion that Pozuelo would be a good player to naturalize.    So I thought,  why havent i ever heard of this guy?   Did a five minute search.   Five minutes i will never get back.  All i could think of is that that guy has no knowledge of soccer.   If you think that half of these guys on these two pages have a more impressive resume than Poz, then you know little or nothing.   But, there are people who pick on this stuff and run with it. 

Edited by Free kick

42 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Ludogrets is a legit team and would beat many of the clubs represented by our National team.

i agree we don’t need to go nuts for him though. Not yet at least 

11 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Ludogrets is a legit team and would beat many of the clubs represented by our National team.

i agree we don’t need to go nuts for him though. Not yet at least 

Every team is legit.  Have you ever seen Bulgarian club football? Better than MLS?   Thats a really low opinion of our national team. 

Edited by Free kick