48 Team World Cup New CONCACAF Qualification

Daryn27

Hey guys with the all this Covid-19 social distancing and what not I thought it would be a fun idea to talk about how CONCACAF May start doing qualifiers now that we are going to a 48 Nation World Cup. I know 2026 will be different of course, but starting 2030 what do you all think will be the format going forward considering CONCACAF is now awarded 6 berths and how Canada might do? Is it also likely to think now Canada should never miss a World Cup?

From what I have been seeing a lot of talk about a potential format which would have 5 groups of 6 teams, and 1 group of 5 teams having the top team from each group qualify directly to the World Cup just like they do in Europe.

9 hours ago, Daryn27 said:

Is it also likely to think now Canada should never miss a World Cup?

I thought Canada would never miss a World Cup when it went to a 32 team tournament and CONCACAF got 3 spots. So I am not going to assume anything. If CPL is flourishing still and maintaining a local focus, then we have a shot at being perennial qualifiers, but I won’t say it will be a sure thing.

• 1 month later...

Yeah but since we Canadians along with the Americans and Mexicans are all co hosting in 2026...it is moot since we would most likely earn automatic qualification but for the rest of CONCACAF for 2026, how do they go about qualifying then? That is the conundrum 

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2020 at 12:08 PM, Daryn27 said:

Hey guys with the all this Covid-19 social distancing and what not I thought it would be a fun idea to talk about how CONCACAF May start doing qualifiers now that we are going to a 48 Nation World Cup. I know 2026 will be different of course, but starting 2030 what do you all think will be the format going forward considering CONCACAF is now awarded 6 berths and how Canada might do? Is it also likely to think now Canada should never miss a World Cup?

With the World Cup being expanded to 48 teams and 6 teams coming out of CONCACAF starting from 2026 and beyond, there is absolutely no reason for Canada to not be qualifying for successive World Cups back to back

11 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

So does CONCACAF get 6 spots or 6.5 when we go to the 48 team World Cup I’ve heard two different scenarios now?

I think for 2026 it is strictly 6 spots well technically but there could be an argument for 0.5 of a spot since Canada, USA and Mexico are tri-hosting the tournament the 3 of them get automatic spots in all likelihood which means in 2026 that leaves 3 spots basically but potential for a 7th because of inter confederation playoff