All-time Favourite MNT 18

nolando

I've been meaning to start this thread for years and, now that we are mid-apocolypse, it seems like perfect timing, so here goes...

Bunbury-Hume

Simpson-Hutch-Nash- Valentine

Davies-deVos-Samuel-B. Lenarduzzi

Forrest

Subs: Mobilio, Gerba, Borjan, McKenna, Klukowski, Brennan, Bircham

**Should point out this isn't a best 11/18 but players who you loved watching/meeting, guys who helped make you the fan you are today.

**Ground rules: everybody should have at least one MNT cap, and you should have see them either live in stadium or on-screen. Don't worry about formation or proper wings, or whatever, just try and find a balance of offense/defense. Or don't.

Edited by nolando

Some of it is hometown based (hence an extra keeper) and overly club-based and specific live moments, so no claims on quality.  

Bunbury - Peschisolido

Davies - Pasquale DeLuca - Hutch - Ricketts

Yallop - Henry - Edgar - Mike Sweeney 

Forrest

Hirschfeld (never played for Spurs first team, I tell myself), Paul Dolan, Mobilio, Gerba, DeVos, Arfield, David. 

---------------------Borjan---------------------

Stalteri---McKenna--De Vos--Klukowski

Radzinski---JDG---Hutchinson---Davies

------------DeRosario---David------------

Subs: Forrest, De Jong, Edgar, Simpson, Hoilett, Bernier, Arfield, Hume

Edit: I actually went with a best 11/18, but for the hard decisions I opted for the players I liked watching more, or actually watched more (so I have more affinity for them, I guess). Therefore, I went with Borjan as the starter over Forrest and De Jong in the 18 ahead of Brennan. 

I also had to find a place for Bernier, because I think his national team career is grossly underrated. He was very, very good in many games I watched, often playing equal or even better than DeGuzman, but only getting half the accolades. And as for Hume, you got to love the energy and heart Hume played with every single time he was on the field. A true warrior.

For a true best 11/18, you'd probably need to find a place for Peschisolido and Bunbury, but I watched very little of the former, and basically none of the latter. Just can't remember their contributions, unfortunately. 

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

----------Forrest-----------

Stalteri-Devos-Mckenna-Davies

Simpson-Hutch-Radz-Deguz

Dero-Bunbury

David, Arfield, Samuel, Bobby L, Onstad, Pesch, and of course...Jaimie Peters

Peters could have been some player, he was the most promising from the Edgar-De Jong-Johnson generation, in my opinion.

Subs: Hoilett, Arfield, McKenna, Bernier, Stalteri, Bunbury, Borjan

went for a “best XI” based off of who I’ve seen live/tv. Went with Colin Miller just based of the fact that he’s a former coach of mine. Felt silly to not have Davies or David on there because I think they will go down as the most talented/successful Canadian soccer players of all time. Currently working but I’m thinking I’m going to do another lineup including all of our missed duals

C4A9D98C-2ED7-4690-9703-FF1618D2D68B.jpeg

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

41 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Subs: Hoilett, Arfield, McKenna, Bernier, Stalteri, Bunbury, Borjan

went for a “best XI” based off of who I’ve seen live/tv. Went with Colin Miller just based of the fact that he’s a former coach of mine. Felt silly to not have Davies or David on there because I think they will go down as the most talented/successful Canadian soccer players of all time. Currently working but I’m thinking I’m going to do another lineup including all of our missed duals

C4A9D98C-2ED7-4690-9703-FF1618D2D68B.jpeg

Did you grow up playing in Abbotsford by any chance? I played against a team he coached at club nationals one year, think they went by Abbotsford Mariners. I still remember when he showed up to the hotel in Winnipeg where all the teams were staying, and he came in fresh off coaching the national team against Finland in a friendly. As a national team fan, that was a very surreal moment! 

Edited by Obinna

57 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Did you grow up playing in Abbotsford by any chance? I played against a team he coached at club nationals one year, think they went by Abbotsford Mariners. I still remember when he showed up to the hotel in Winnipeg where all the teams were staying, and he came in fresh off coaching the national team against Finland in a friendly. As a national team fan, that was a very surreal moment! 

Yes sir, Abbotsford Mariners. He also coached our Abbotsford Y League academy team. Once he went full time at FC Edmonton, he was replaced with Alan Errington/Ian Knight, also 2 well established Canadian soccer coaches. Needless to say growing up I was lucky to have some top level coaches 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

Corazzin-Peschisolido-Bunbury

Hutchison-De Guzman-Hastings

DeVos-McKenna-Samuel-Stalteri

Forrest

Subs: Mobilio, Dasovic, Davies, Aunger, Radzinski, Valentine, Dolan

Hastings for the goal.  I met Craig Forrest as a kid at soccer fest and I grilled him about getting beat short side at Azteca.  He was awesome about it, even though I was probably a jerky ten year old (or thereabouts). 

29 minutes ago, nolando said:

Loved Hastings and Serioux too. Had a hard think before I left them out.

You’re not alone.

I use to love how Serioux would dribble out from defence. And he his defending was quite physical.

Edited by Obinna

Started watching the team in 04, so will only pick players from then to now.

David
Simpson      Hutchinson     Bernier  Radzinski
                   de Guzman
Davies McKenna Jakovic Stalteri
                   Borjan

Edited by Blackdude
put in my favourites

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Corazzin-Peschisolido-Bunbury

Hutchison-De Guzman-Hastings

DeVos-McKenna-Samuel-Stalteri

Forrest

Subs: Mobilio, Dasovic, Davies, Aunger, Radzinski, Valentine, Dolan

Hastings for the goal.  I met Craig Forrest as a kid at soccer fest and I grilled him about getting beat short side at Azteca.  He was awesome about it, even though I was probably a jerky ten year old (or thereabouts). 

Pretty close to mine. For personal reasons, would have Tam Nsaliwa in place of Hastings. On the bench, Ledgerwood for Aunger, Hastings for Valentine, David for Mobilio and Hirschfeld for Dolan .

My 11 in photo

Bench- Hirschfield, Samuel, Dasovic, Hastings, David, Bunbury, De Rosario

Reserves- McKenna, Millar, Cordova, Xausa, Hume, Nash,  Hastings, Fenwick, 

Requested to be left out-

Bircham said I was too similar to Holger, I had no tactics and my set pieces were crap. He said as a guy playing weekly I was out of touch with the game

Dani Fernandes- He said Dale Mitchell damaged any hope of him showing up

Fernando Aguiar- said Yallop calling his friends too often meant it’s a no

Jamie Lopresti- said he played a game for Chile when it seemed no one in Canada new he was playing regularly in Chile.

Brad Parker- Not a good time, he said he’s still looking for a club after a Failed trial at Bradford city

Aristodemo- said he has a trial in Luxembourg next week so the timing isn’t good

76E8EB97-34F8-4DEE-9493-4EDCDD4E22E3.jpeg

28 minutes ago, jordan said:

Requested to be left out-

Bircham said I was too similar to Holger, I had no tactics and my set pieces were crap. He said as a guy playing weekly I was out of touch with the game

Dani Fernandes- He said Dale Mitchell damaged any hope of him showing up

Fernando Aguiar- said Yallop calling his friends too often meant it’s a no

Jamie Lopresti- said he played a game for Chile when it seemed no one in Canada new he was playing regularly in Chile.

Brad Parker- Not a good time, he said he’s still looking for a club after a Failed trial at Bradford city

Aristodemo- said he has a trial in Luxembourg next week so the timing isn’t good

Comedy gold right there!

---------------------------------- Forrest --------------------------------------

---- Lennarduzzi --- Samuel ---- DeVos --- Klukowski ----

----- Radzinski ---- Hutchinson ---- Arfield ---- Davies -----

------------------------- Catliff ---------- Mobilio -------------------------

Subs - Dolan, McKenna, Stalteri, David, Xausa, Peschosolido, Gerba

Craig Forrest was the major factor in winning us our only trophy. Lennarduzzi is a legend of the Canadian game, despite what a lot of knobheads say these days. Samuel and DeVos are no-brainers at CB. Klukowski was our standout player for a number of years. Radzinski is probably our best ever player, until Phonz gets a few more years under his belt. Hutch and Arfield need no explanation. Neither does Phonz. Watching Catliff and Mobilio play together from the grass hill on the east side of Swangard back in the day was magic.

For the bench...Dolan played our first ever game in the World Cup. McKenna could do the business at both ends of the pitch. Stalteri was the embodiment of Canadian soccer for many years. David is on the way to being one of our best ever. Who doesn't love a Davide Xausa 30-yard screamer. Pesch has to come off the bench just so Vic Rauter can make the call when he inevitably does something exciting. Ali Gerba has to be there for his goals AND to scare the opposition with a death stare.

So, is there some way we can simulate a round-robin home-and-away tournament with all these teams?  I'm starving for any type of action and I need to see some report that shows Rob Friend leading a league in scoring.

Come on all you gamers in self-isolation, lets get on it.

I'd put down heavy amounts of cash that my team would destroy.  ;)

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

So, is there some way we can simulate a round-robin home-and-away tournament with all these teams?  I'm starving for any type of action and I need to see some report that shows Rob Friend leading a league in scoring.

Come on all you gamers in self-isolation, lets get on it.

I'd put down heavy amounts of cash that my team would destroy.  ;)

Friend may score at will, but Herschfield would give it all back and then some,