York9 - Season Thread 2020

1 hour ago, Kent said:

In the announcement event, they mentioned "3 year memberships". Surely they meant "Year 3 memberships" right? I'm not in the market for seasons tickets at the moment, but I sure hope they aren't asking for 3 year commitments from people.

This reminds me of when OneSoccer was saying "Season subscription" rather than "Year subscription", which caused enough doubt for me to go month to month.

They have an option for either 3 year or 1 year memberships. You get some extra perks for doing a three year commitment. 

The 24 minute long audio from the Zoom call for media types held at 1pm regarding the rebrand. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports20/20york133.htm

Ooh 52-53% of fans come from the city of Toronto. New stadium possibility/timing will be up to owners (Baldassarra family), there are downtown supporter groups(?!)

2 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

The 24 minute long audio from the Zoom call for media types held at 1pm regarding the rebrand. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports20/20york133.htm

Ooh 52-53% of fans come from the city of Toronto. New stadium possibility/timing will be up to owners (Baldassarra family), there are downtown supporter groups(?!)

If the York ends up being a great location in the end, maybe a new stadium partnership with the university could be revived like the original planned Argo/CMNT idea all those years ago.

6 hours ago, Macksam said:

If the York ends up being a great location in the end, maybe a new stadium partnership with the university could be revived like the original planned Argo/CMNT idea all those years ago.

The stadium has tons of potential.

A roof can be added

new suites can be built in the current structure

He stadium can be expanded which means more suites, seats etc.

They can be personalized overtime

Right on the border on Steeles Avenue

Subway access with the area at Finch and Keele being revitalized 

Personally, they don't need to move

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

The stadium has tons of potential.

A roof can be added

new suites can be built in the current structure

He stadium can be expanded which means more suites, seats etc.

They can be personalized overtime

Right on the border on Steeles Avenue

Subway access with the area at Finch and Keele being revitalized 

Personally, they don't need to move

Yes totally agree it’s a great location for a stadium simply because of the subway line being right there . You come off the subway and your a few minutes from the stadium. Moreover, Hwy 400 is minutes away , so it’s well connected by car as well . Hopefully, they can eventually totally enclose this stadium and put a roof over the stands .

I think they must have feedback that the old logo was too edgy or modern, but I think they've veered a little too far the other way into "fuddy fuddy" old fashioned. But it's not terrible, the colours are very good, it's not a complete identify change,  so yeah overall not bad.

Any pics of the stadium progress? I hear the Arrows rugby team might be back to YU (oh shit, did they consider the confusion with the University?) as well since the city is using the Lamport dome as a homeless/covid shelter or something. 

13 hours ago, red card said:

End of the 905 derby.

Back to 1920 in terms of colour and design. 

Switched from catering to mills to boomers.

Different from the modernish look of other CPL clubs - which is good. But ode to history means copying other clubs cookie cutter stuff - military and britishness.

Britishness like being called York?

9 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Britishness like being called York?

The crown since they have deemed the Royals at the core of Canada's history - this was the view pre 1970 but not anymore and certainly never was the case for francophones and indigenous.

The shield was inspired by the Queen's York Rangers which 90% of Canadians would need to google about.

Overall vibe & look of crest and jersey is also more English league style while before it was Canadian Mill to Gen X focused. 

Edited by red card

I dont hate it. Interesting that they went with the traditional British football look and feel 

I applaud the color scheme because its very original and bold. Hartford Whalers colors. I always stand to be corrected but can't think of a football team anywhere with those colors 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I dont hate it. Interesting that they went with the traditional British football look and feel 

I applaud the color scheme because its very original and bold. Hartford Whalers colors. I always stand to be corrected but can't think of a football team anywhere with those colors 

It reminds me of the Sassuolo colours even though that is green and black.

New logo is a total flop. Too much going on that needs explaining. Trying too hard. So much so wrong.

It’s a weird mish mash of styles - crest is British, styling Spanish, and the lettering baseball American

Unknown army regiment? Royal influences? Not right fit for this non-whitebread community. Shout out to Lake Ontario? This team plays at Steeles and it’s major league rival is the one near the lake. Capital focus? This team represents the burbs. They’re not even close to the old City of York - and that was even then the ethnic boonies - let alone York aka Toronto proper!

Screams minor league to me. The design looks like a logo devised for a team in the USector indoor soccer league. Flailing to borrow the authenticity of others is never a good plan.

And those colours ... what non-hardcore fan is going to want to wear that? Stripes of green bin green and recycling bin blue?

I don’t blame them for retooling a bit - the whole 9 concept was eye rolling boardroom gafflegab ... although a full name-colour-logo rebranding as early as year three isn’t a good sign.

But the problem was the concept, not the look or execution. The old logo and colour scheme were credible for the community and time and place and market and league and the team’s stature - the “9” baloney was the problem. The logo and styling had the potential to, eventually, achieve some retro panache.

Logos, crests, branding, styles, etc. don’t develop instantaneous cache. Today’s classic logos took time to become classics. Without time ... it’s nothing more than cyclical licked-finger-in-the-air marketing.

Edited by The Real Marc

8 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

New logo is a total flop. Too much going on that needs explaining. Trying too hard. So much so wrong....

This thread looks like the Voyageurs Board of old, so might as well participate.

Think total flop might be too strong but the rebrand definitely looks like a disjointed compromise arrived at by committee. They clearly need to appeal as strongly as they can to all of the GTA given the way that committed fans were so hard to come by as repeat customers in year one but for some reason they can't let go of the York and nine stripes angle despite it having failed to resonate in the manner they wanted it to. They would be better off hitting the reset button so they can push a Toronto team concept all the way rather than trying to still do a bit of both.

The crown might actually turn some people off from supporting them so is an odd choice to make when there are so many other generic Toronto themed logo possibilities that would not. I almost get the impression with CanPL sometimes that there must be core investors on board that want to actively use the league to push that sort of symbolism (Valour and Cavalry were far from obvious choices to make elsewhere in marketing terms). As Red Card points out this sort of stuff appeals to an older Canada that hasn't been promoted officially all that much since before Pierre Trudeau's time in office and was never embraced by significant portions of the population even prior to that.

The GTA's soccer community is skewed heavily away from the demographic that is most likely to be inspired by the legacy of old imperial era regiments. An Argos game is probably more their natural habitat. Think they would have been better off going with Toronto United and a generic Toronto downtown skyline crest.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I'm supporting the team as best I can either way, but I think the bigger issue than branding is a lack a stake in the ground. When the team was announced they talked about York University as a temporary home (within Toronto city limits), with plans on having their own stadium in York Region. To the best of my knowledge they haven't explicitly said the stadium build idea is dead, or that York University is their permanent home now. So you might have people living outside the city not sure if they should bother because the team might not actually ever come to York Region, and you might have people living in the city not sure if they should bother because the team might pick up and leave.

The original plan seemed to be to give themselves some geographical separation from TFC to hope to draw a crowd from people further away from Toronto proper. But they needed somewhere to play temporarily so had to settle for playing within the city limits (which seemed to be what they wanted to avoid doing) and didn't draw many fans there. That to me seems to be evidence that they weren't wrong about wanting some separation. But now it seems like they think to succeed they need to double down on Toronto and loosen ties to the suburbs. Maybe their new stadium idea would work, because they would have a permanent home that wouldn't confuse potential fans about their intentions, and plus new stadiums and dedicated stadiums help draw fans on their own (as MLS illustrated so well).