Sign in to follow this  
ironcub14

York9 - Season Thread 2020

Posted (edited)

I saw a list of players eligible for the 1000 minutes from CPL last year and from what I remember the oldest players on the list were born in 1998, no 97s on the list. Have to average 35.71 minutes per game.

Edit:  Found the list and I was wrong there are some 97s on the list, all teams would have still met the limit excluding the 97s.  https://canpl.ca/article/trust-the-kids-all-7-cpl-clubs-surpass-1000-minute-threshold-for-u-21-players

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

Just catching up, been away from a desktop for a week or so. It'd be cool if all the clubs put the player statuses on their roster page, so we wouldn't have to guess about this kind of stuff when the season has started.

I heard on the latest 9 Stripes pod where McNab said that they have to get roster compliant by April 1st, so that could perhaps be the cutoff date for the U21s' statuses for the season. So maybe anybody born after April 1st, 1998 for this season. Though for sure the season looks like it will be postponed for some time at this stage. 

That was a fantastic episode btw, probably the most insightful soccer-related podcast episode I've listened to in awhile.

McNab goes decently in-depth about the scouting and acquisition behind each of the Y9 signings this offseason. I think the vast majority of the international signings are tied to 21st Club. And with all our domestic signings being happy to come home. And they mentioned an international house for the intl players, sounds like the party house haha. It's going to be a fun season when it does get going. 

And McNab also answers some questions about marketing and sales, where he kind of hammers home the reality Y9 faces, that there is a limited budget that Greenpark has given that he has to work within, just as Jimmy has to work within the salary cap.

It was a great episode that got me even more excited for the season to start. 

I am thinking a June start date is probably the earliest after the CBC announced there should be no events larger than 50 people for the next 8 weeks. 

26 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

So Emilio Estevez is getting interested from overseas. I'd like to keep him as he's the only number 10 on the tesm. 

He is an interesting young player. I think he’s got a lot of potential... I would like us to keep him for another year or two to develop him further before hopefully selling him at a profit. 

4 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

So Emilio Estevez is getting interested from overseas. I'd like to keep him as he's the only number 10 on the tesm. 

It was a bit confusing coming directly to this post from the one talking about sport docos and movies...

13 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I like Estevez, definitely the spark plug off the bench. I see him less as a 10 though, I see him as a LW, he's probably the one along with Telfer that was most willing to take players on 1v1. Obviously he didn't succeed as often, which is why Jimmy usually kept him on the bench to start. 

37 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I like Estevez, definitely the spark plug off the bench. I see him less as a 10 though, I see him as a LW, he's probably the one along with Telfer that was most willing to take players on 1v1. Obviously he didn't succeed as often, which is why Jimmy usually kept him on the bench to start. 

Def won't be playing left wing with Hamilton and petrasso though. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Def won't be playing left wing with Hamilton and petrasso though. 

Hey, isn't Petrasso mainly a RW? I haven't seen Hamilton highlights off YouTube (I should now and will haha), but I can definitely see Vasconcelos pushing for that LW starting spot for sure. No doubt about it, competition for spots up front is going to be fierce, but I guess Estevez definitely has to get his U21 minutes in hehe. 

Edited by ironcub14

4 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Hey, isn't Petrasso mainly a RW? I haven't seen Hamilton highlights off YouTube (I should now and will haha), but I can definitely see Vasconcelos pushing for that LW starting spot for sure. No doubt about it, competition for spots up front is going to be fierce, but I guess Estevez definitely has to get his U21 minutes in hehe. 

Vasconcelos is a right winger. Petrasso is better on the left wing as an inverted winger. 

With Gabriel, Hamilton, petrasso and Porter I don't see any minutes at winger.

On 3/18/2020 at 6:58 PM, Mikmacdo said:

I messaged soccer people in Hong Kong and Taiwan but while Estevez is on the radar for E. Asian football, noone has heard anything concrete about interest. Estevez' likely salary (assuming he's lower-end on the scale here) would be equivalent to a top 3 player in Taiwan. He'd probably get a raise in Hong Kong - which has a special slot for Macanese/Taiwanese players. The Chinese leagues also have a special slot for Macau/Taiwan players, though I don't think he'd be signed on by the CSL, probably the second division instead.

He definitely turned heads with his world cup qualifying plays against Jordan and Australia (both decent sides).

2 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

The Chinese leagues also have a special slot for Macau/Taiwan players

Really? I would have thought they would receive unfair treatment rather than preferential. Interesting.

On 3/19/2020 at 5:29 PM, Big_M said:

Petrasso is mainly a right side player..if doner is out or not doing well and with all these offensive options wouldnt be surprised to see him at rb

I hope Kyle Porter is the backup RB. I don't want to see him on the wing. 

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Porter had a pretty mediocre first year. I was expecting more from him. Let’s hope that Brennan is able to find a position he’ll thrive at. 

15 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Porter had a pretty mediocre first year. I was expecting more from him. Let’s hope that Brennan is able to find a position he’ll thrive at. 

He probably makes a good amount of money and honestly doesn't move the needle. I guess he is a backup rw/RM/RB. 

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 5:48 PM, Mikmacdo said:

Definitely agreed. Porter was not bad at all in the few games he did play RB.