MLS Match Updates and Talk 2020

Big_M

Hard to dump Crepeau as #2 because he was hurt.  He was the brightest spot on a horrible team last year and played brilliantly. Assuming he returns in similar form he is still most likely the back up to Borjan. St.Clair has been a revelation and surpasses all others for a spot in the 23 and a chance to compete with the 2 incumbents in my opinion.

Lets  put it in perspective.  StClair has 13 MLS starts, Hasal has 8, Crepeau has 33.  They all had a starting job for part of this season, only one of them won it without an injury helping them along.  I could see both Hasal and StClair end up being better than Crepeau but I'd still stick with Crepeau as number 2 when he is healthy.  Which is soon..???

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Lets  put it in perspective.  StClair has 13 MLS starts, Hasal has 8, Crepeau has 33.  They all had a starting job for part of this season, only one of them won it without an injury helping them along.  I could see both Hasal and StClair end up being better than Crepeau but I'd still stick with Crepeau as number 2 when he is healthy.  Which is soon..???

I believe that Crepeau had returned to training when the season ended, so we can only assume that he's in line for a full re-season in the new year.

19 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

St. Clair starts for Minnesota against SKC but Edwards not dressed once again. Two great saves for Dayne in the first 15 minutes

I am more and more impressed with this kid with every outing.   He looks legit. That second save chnaged the game so far.   SKC were in control up until that point.  Its the 35th minute now. Now up 2-0.

Edited by Free kick

45 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Now 3-0 Minnesota

It could have been 2-0 sKC at one point.

35 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Damn I hate the playoffs.  I wish they just crowned Philly and SKC as eastern and western champs and called it quits.  

image.png?w=400&c=1

I will stand by what i always said.   The single game knockout format is going produce some undeserving champions.  Not always, but its going to happen.   Thats why i hate it.  

A coach of a mediocre side, who snuck into the playoff, can easily game plan to beat a much better side when its a do or die game.  Thats soccer.  in a sport like basketball (a less tactical sport) single game knowck might work a bit better.

this format will favour or help counter attacking teams or teams that bunker.     The teams with alot of talent never need to bunker or play counterttacking.

i still hate that they got rid of the two leg ties in the playoffs.

Edited by Free kick

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

this format will favour or help counter attacking teams or teams that bunker.     The teams with alot of talent never need to bunker or play counterttacking.

i still hate that they got rid of the two leg ties in the playoffs.

It's funny that not so long ago on here I was reading about posters complaining about Seattle's style of play (I don't have time to find the thread and comments) but here they are as the last upper echelon team left standing.

As long as you have one-off ties, you are going to continue to have favourites fall in this particular league's playoffs.  I still feel that the lack of home fan support is also a factor in this unique season. 

19 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

It's funny that not so long ago on here I was reading about posters complaining about Seattle's style of play (I don't have time to find the thread and comments) but here they are as the last upper echelon team left standing.

As long as you have one-off ties, you are going to continue to have favourites fall in this particular league's playoffs.  I still feel that the lack of home fan support is also a factor in this unique season. 

That was probably me complaining about Seattle’s style of play.    But i have no issues with the fact that Seattle won.   They did it under a two leg format and they are incredibly consistent (their record and placement in the standings) year after year.   They would not be an example of what i was reffering to above as “one day an undeserving team will win it all”.   

edit.:  here is a good example of what i was referring to:  Cincinnatti at the MLS is back tournament.  They made noise at that tournament.  They beat RBNY in the group stage, they advanced to the knock out stage,  took portland to penalty kicks at the knock out stage.   When i saw their games, i saw a team that parked the bus form the first minute up to the 90th.   They set up two lines of four men and five men in front of their box and stayed there the whole game. Those two lines moved like they were the plastic men in fussball table (ie.: side to side and in equal constant distance from each other but never forward). 
If you look at their roster, you dont really see much (if any) talent.   And their overall record before the tournamant and after, reflect their talent very well.
Under the current mls playoff format with the one game knock out,  i can see a team like Cincinnatti winning the MLS Cup one day.  With a two leg setup,  that will nevre happen.

Edited by Free kick

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

That was probably me complaining about Seattle’s style of play.    But i have no issues with the fact that Seattle won.   They did it under a two leg format and they are incredibly consistent (their record and placement in the standings) year after year.   They would not be an example of what i was reffering to above as “one day an undeserving team will win it all”.   

edit.:  here is a good example of what i was referring to:  Cincinnatti at the MLS is back tournament.  They made noise at that tournament.  They beat RBNY in the group stage, they advanced to the knock out stage,  took portland to penalty kicks at the knock out stage.   When i saw their games, i saw a team that parked the bus form the first minute up to the 90th.   They set up two lines of four men and five men in front of their box and stayed there the whole game. Those two lines moved like they were the plastic men in fussball table (ie.: side to side and in equal constant distance from each other but never forward). 
If you look at their roster, you dont really see much (if any) talent.   And their overall record before the tournamant and after, reflect their talent very well.
Under the current mls playoff format with the one game knock out,  i can see a team like Cincinnatti winning the MLS Cup one day.  With a two leg setup,  that will nevre happen.

If Vancouver had managed to get into the playoffs and went on a big roll to the final four, how do you think posters around here would react, notably the Caps' ones?  

I definitely support your points about going back to the two leg playoffs but I also think the single knockout format exposes the cracks in the supposedly better teams in this league because I frankly don't think they're as good as some make them out to be.