MLS Match Updates and Talk 2020

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mixed bag from the Canadians involved tonight. Piette and Shome were played out of position by Thierry Henry and were poor as a result. ZBG and AJH were both solid in the second half. Jackson-Hamel cl

There are protests happening with Black Lives Matter t shirts being worn and everyone taking a knee before kick off. That is sufficient to show support IMO There is no need to protest/disrespect the C

I have no idea what you are talking about.   Just an FYI. Fraser wore the shirt with the number 27.   You might have gotten him mixed up with someone elsae.

Posted Images

wow vancouver going out with seven canadians..eight if you wanna push it and include bush..cornelius baldisimo gutierrez teibert ricketts bair raposo..others are bikel rose veselinovic..listed as a 3-4-3 with bikel as a side player..very interesting going up against the mighty seattle..listed as a 4-2-3-1 with ruidiaz and svensson back and gomez-arreaga at cb

All the Canucks are playing well so far except for Bair who unfortunately isn't doing anything at all up front , not even making life difficult for the centre backs with his size and speed. Along with Rose and to a lesser extent extent Bikel, he has been the weakest link tonight 

21 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

All the Canucks are playing well so far except for Bair who unfortunately isn't doing anything at all up front , not even making life difficult for the centre backs with his size and speed.

That's why Bair doesn't feature more.  Rapaso doesn't add much, imo, Cornelius has done well.  Baldi has done a very good job of keeping Lodeiro in check.  The other Canucks have put in a good shift.  

Seattle have always been pretty good at making tactical adjustments at half time, so we'll see what they do to get some more joy out there.  G 

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

That's why Bair doesn't feature more.  Rapaso doesn't add much, imo, Cornelius has done well.  Baldi has done a very good job of keeping Lodeiro in check.  The other Canucks have put in a good shift.  

Seattle have always been pretty good at making tactical adjustments at half time, so we'll see what they do to get some more joy out there.  G 

I thought the Caps lost something when Raposo went off. He was lively in the first half, helped the Caps keep possession and hit Bair for a couple of nice dangerous passes that Bair was too slow/unable to get to. The sub replacements weren't an improvement - can't remember if it was Dajome or Monteiro who came on for him, but both were poor on this particular evening, unusually so for Monteiro.

Cornelius ended up being the best defender on the night for the Caps. I am still not seeing why Vesalinovic (who was schooled on the insurance goal which all but ended the match) is starting over him. He seems to be responsible (normally with ball-watching) for at least one goal against per match. I think Godoy-Cornelius is the top CB pairing the Caps have, with the Argentine probably being the overall best defender they have. No doubt Ali Adnan would disagree with me on that, but I've never seen (and doubt I ever will again) a defender-DP who brings so little defensively to a club the way Adnan does. As for Andy Rose, he's competing with this brother in law in the contention for the lead in the "player on a Canadian MLS team who seems to get starts on past form rather than current one" standings.

tesho started and scored tonight..subbed out at 62..miller played the full 90..against atlanta..and cubo finally scores his first for atlanta..matheus aias new striker of orlando subs in and scores..dike and mueller also scored and they blew up atlanta 4-1..boy atlanta keeps going lower and lower..they will miss the playoffs

Jordan Hamilton got his first playing minutes of 2020 as he came on for the last 7 minutes for Columbus against DC, who surprisingly beat Columbus 1-0. Columbus was trailing at the time.

Raheem Edwards also came on late for Minnesota and was involved in the game winning own-goal against Colorado in a 2-1 win. St. Clair credited with 3 saves in the win.

Chapman & Montgomery were unused subs in Dallas 2-1 win over Miami.

On 10/28/2020 at 9:27 AM, SpursFlu said:

I think Raposo rushes everything, he looks overwhelmed and a bit unsure. Bair needs to get a some SOB in his game. Baldisimo good as per usual. Seattle is a very good team

Both assessments are spot on.  Regardless of the situation, I always feel that Bair plays like a guy much smaller than his size:  I would like to see him be more of a bull in a china shop out there on a consistent basis, like that young striker in Orlando.  Raposo made one really nice long pass on the deck but just too far for Bair's good run off the ball yet as you say, he rushed some plays resulting in possession losses (including the one play in the 13th minute where you can see Guti gesturing him to settle the ball after Raposo flicked it to no one and out of touch) or got outmuscled shielding it.  He has some good quickness, a good work rate, and a feel for the the quick give and go, so maybe some more seasoning will hone his game in the next season or two.  Hopefully he can take it to the next level.  Ricketts is still an athlete first/footballer second yet seems to find a goal here and there. 

Re-watching this match, I can see how Seattle really upped the urgency of their play to start the second half:  they seemed to be more direct with quicker tempo in their passing in the final third.  They have been one of the better teams in this league at making half time adjustments.