MLS Match Updates and Talk 2020

Big_M

bradley and delgado making runs passes movements that you would not see from fraser..just beautiful..just shows saying hes as good or better then them is done without analysis..montreal finally makes a sub..shome in for sejdic..are you serious you are down with 20 to go and this is what you got

There are protests happening with Black Lives Matter t shirts being worn and everyone taking a knee before kick off. That is sufficient to show support IMO There is no need to protest/disrespect the Canadian flag  and anthem on top of that, not for something that is happening south of the border.

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

There are protests happening with Black Lives Matter t shirts being worn and everyone taking a knee before kick off. That is sufficient to show support IMO There is no need to protest/disrespect the Canadian flag  and anthem on top of that, not for something that is happening south of the border.

This!  I can understand Americans kneeling for their own anthem to protest injustice in their own country, but for them to come to Canada and kneel for another country's anthem is not ok.  

Vanney stood for the Canadian anthem and noted that his Canadian assistant Jason Bent stood so  he stood with him.

5 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This!  I can understand Americans kneeling for their own anthem to protest injustice in their own country, but for them to come to Canada and kneel for another country's anthem is not ok.  

Vanney stood for the Canadian anthem and noted that his Canadian assistant Jason Bent stood so  he stood with him.

Yeah I saw that as well. Thing is, even though I don't agree with taking the knee for the Canadian anthem, I can't really get upset or be critical of those who did given that many would be bound to feel peer pressure to do so, even if the peer pressure is only in their heads or what they imagine might be their case. And by peer pressure I don't just mean teammates.  I give the two Canucks in the starting line-ups the benefit of the doubt on that (I mean, that would be quite something if ZBG was the only Impact player to stand when everyone else on his team is not, wouldn't it?)

The other thing to keep in mind is that Bradley very publicly praised Toronto's local police force a couple of years ago for the way they (and one officer in particular) handled that homicidal maniac who drove down Yonge St. with a van trying to kill everyone in sight. So why should he now publicly condemn the very same police he was previously publicly praising? By taking the knee before kick off and standing for the Canadian national anthem, we can see where his protest was targeted - down south, where it belongs.

As for the game itself, pretty harsh call for the PK IMO, but the one on Piatti a little later looked like a more deserving call, and I am more suspicious that it should have been a PK since (what I assume is the Quebec-based tv crew director) never showed us a replay of that. That offside call on the Impact goal was extremely tight, if he hadn't been flagged for offside I'm not sure that VAR would have overturned that. That said, I think TFC were deserving of the win. It's too bad that the best chance they created from the run of play fell to Delgado, who must be one of the most successful players in TFC history at clearing the ball out of danger. Unfortunately I am referring to clearing the ball out of danger for the opposition in front of the enemy goal.