MLS Match Updates and Talk 2020

Big_M

Some people will look at the stats and assume that the 'Caps stole one today. I don't think that's anything like the actual case. After a tough first 10 minutes, the 'Caps were absolutely good value for the win. They created and took their chances and stayed disciplined at the back, forcing TFC to take a lot of low percentage shots. Hasal made 7 saves, but only 1-2 were difficult. TFC's first goal was excellent, but the second was because Rose didn't move his feet well on what should have been a run-of-the-mill defensive header, gifting the goal to Pozuelo. This was a heartening performance from the 'Caps - doubly so considering how bad they were in the previous matches and how well the Canadians played. 

The keeper continues to impress, made some good saves, and commanded his box.  So glad to see Baldisimo contribute with his playmaking on the first and finish on the second as well has his overall strong distribution from deep; he had a couple of moments where he got caught in possession but he's only going to get better with the starts.  I was also happy to see two guys usually serving as whipping boys for the club create the winner from Adnan's free kick (Rose's cross, Nerwinski's finish).  The Caps fought hard and managed to hang on to the win.  I still feel that they need a much better defensive midfield presence to close down plays in front of the back line (Piatti blasting off the post a number and other chances that just didn't quite come off because the Caps just give up way too much space there).  It sort of reminded me of the home win over LAFC in April of last season where the opponent just couldn't quite click on opportunities.

Also, great to see Cavallini off the schneid.  His hold up play and ability to draw fouls really helps, as well.

Edited by BearcatSA

I have to say yesterday was a thouroughly enjoyable day of football viewing from this Canadian fan's perspective, first I watched my hometown Forge play Valour with lots of young promising talent on display and 4 goals scored then the Caps showed it is possible to win playing Canadians in MLS with no less than 8 Canucks getting into the match and contributing in the 5 goal thriller! Kudos to MDS and the Caps for being bold and sticking with the homegrowns, this could pay big dividends down the road!

st. clair getting his first mls game and start vs rsl..his new teammate bebelo reynoso getting his first start also..on the other side giuseppe rossi getting his first mls start also so big challenge for st. clair..this rsl team can really create chances for themselves

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

st. clair getting his first mls game and start vs rsl..his new teammate bebelo reynoso getting his first start also..on the other side giuseppe rossi getting his first mls start also so big challenge for st. clair..this rsl team can really create chances for themselves

That Rossi shot early in the game looked like it may have crossed the line.  It was very close.  St. Clair playing fairly well, let’s hope he can get a run of games.

1-0 for toronto at the break..a total of five games tonight..still not going well for atlanta down 1-2 to miami with matuidi on the bench..minnesota up 2-1 on dallas as expected with st. clair starting again..colorado houston about to start and then a big one to finish with rsl lafc..bwp starting on the bench when lafc need to bounce back

jakovic getting the start with 18 year old traore beside him at cb getting his first game and najar at rb getting his first start of the season..and harvey getting the start at lb playing his first game since july..you can smell danger against an rsl team that creates a lot of chances