Future Champions League & CONCACAF League format

New Champions League format  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which Champions League Format do you prefer?

• Status quo - Knockout Stage in the winter only
    • Groupe Stage + knockout stage
  2. 2. Do you like the concept of Champions League qualifiers?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Which format of CONCACAF League?

• Status quo - Summer/Fall to qualify to winter CCL
    • Europa League Format
    • Sudamericana Format

2 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Entering around late February when many CanPL players will be out of contract and it would be logistically challenging to play a home game across much of Canada. The phrase poisoned chalice comes to mind.

hmmm...great points. Didn't realize the time frame.
However this doesn't only affect the CPL, but MLS as well.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Entering around late February when many CanPL players will be out of contract and it would be logistically challenging to play a home game across much of Canada. The phrase poisoned chalice comes to mind.

The 2024 tournament will start in April. So this shouldn't be a problem 

44 minutes ago, narduch said:

I like the new Champions League format. Way better than the previous revamp proposal.

The Leagues Cup is still a wank tournament. Even with the 3 CL spots now.

Also devalues MLS a little in my opinion.

Seems weird to stop your league for a month for a quasi-legitimate tournament

Well then it would also devalue Liga Mex ? I think it’s just about how someone looks at things in terms of what fans find more important. I think it has the making of being a good tournament in the future , anytime you play a Liga Mex team there is just something different and exciting about these games and this tournament has the potential of being something pretty cool in the future .

6 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Well then it would also devalue Liga Mex ? I think it’s just about how someone looks at things in terms of what fans find more important. I think it has the making of being a good tournament in the future , anytime you play a Liga Mex team there is just something different and exciting about these games and this tournament has the potential of being something pretty cool in the future .

How do you even set up a 47 team Tournament?

They said World Cup style so ther must be a group stage.

11 groups of 4 and 1 group of 3?

I think the Leagues Cup is so unique its hard to predict how it will go down. One thought is, since its only 2 Leagues and both leagues come to a halt. What's it going to feel like if all the MLS are done and its all Mexican teams remaining? Everyone just sits and watches what amounts to a Mexican Cup for a few weeks?

I think the big winner are Central American teams. They have a 20 team tournament, short distances, built in rivalries and likely much needed revenue 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Don’t know good question , also with the new World Club Cup happening in the next few years a club World Cup that will be staged the same way as the World Cup , I’m assuming this Leagues Cup will probably also qualify teams to the Club World Cup along with the new CONCACAF Champions League . But in the end should make for some exciting times for the fans of all these competitions.

Positives:
- 2 spots for CPL teams
- Canadian MLS teams treated the same as American MLS teams

Negatives:
- CPL is the only league with no chance of getting a bye past the first round of CCL
- Qualifying via subcontinental tournaments, I preferred the "One CONCACAF" type of vision
- The number of spots for each country are determined in a boardroom, instead of based on results/CONCACAF Club Index
- CONCACAF League disappears, which I thought was good for clubs/countries to find their level
- Still no group stage. Bring back the group stage please!

Unknown:
- Have they said how the CCL final host will be determined? If it's the higher seeded team based on their results in the tournament, that's acceptable to me. If it's drawn from a hat, that's acceptable to me (as long as it's a legit draw of course). If it's predetermined, or determined based on potential ticket sales (i.e. always in the USA, or always at the bigger club) then that sucks.

5 hours ago, narduch said:

MLS will expand at least once more to get it to 48. Might even do it before the first tournament. But regardless, I wouldn't worry about the 47 number. Could always add a 2nd division Mexican team.

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

MLS will expand at least once more to get it to 48. Might even do it before the first tournament. But regardless, I wouldn't worry about the 47 number. Could always add a 2nd division Mexican team.

Just thinking about what a monstrosity of a tournament it will be

It will be interesting. Presumably half the teams will be knocked out after the first round, whether it's a group stage or whatever. Then you'll have approximately half your league twiddling their thumbs for how long? A couple weeks?

And I guess they'll break for this superfluous tournament, but not for the World Cup or Gold Cup.

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

It will be interesting. Presumably half the teams will be knocked out after the first round, whether it's a group stage or whatever. Then you'll have approximately half your league twiddling their thumbs for how long? A couple weeks?

And I guess they'll break for this superfluous tournament, but not for the World Cup or Gold Cup.

I read 16 groups and 32 team knock out

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I read 16 groups and 32 team knock out

So the ever popular groups of 3 I guess. Depending on whether they do home/away or just play each team in the group once, it could potentially be a minimum of 2 or 4 games over the span of a month for the 15 or 16 teams that get knocked out after the first round.

15 minutes ago, Kent said:

So the ever popular groups of 3 I guess. Depending on whether they do home/away or just play each team in the group once, it could potentially be a minimum of 2 or 4 games over the span of a month for the 15 or 16 teams that get knocked out after the first round.

Here's the tweet with the group info.

The other big thing is MLS regular season will still be 34 games.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, narduch said:

Just realized that due to the Champions League format change and the end of Concacaf League, the 2022 CPL season won't have any spots to hand out for Continental competitions.

Ah, I see what you mean. Previously the November 2022 play-off winner would go onto the July 2023-November-2023 CONCACAF League, and potentially the February to May 2024 CONCACAF Champions League.

Presumably the two CSA teams from the season ending November 2023 will go to the February 2024 Champions League 3 months later. Which has the advantage of being much faster than the 8 month current lag.

I don't think there's anything to say that CSA couldn't send both the 2022 and 2023 champions to the 2024 Champions League. The 2022 winner could have potentially ended up in the same spot.

Which is similar to what they where going to do with 2018 CONCACAF Champions, which was going to have a play-off game between the 2016 and 2017 Voyageurs Cup winners ... until Toronto FC made it easy by winning both.

Edited by nfitz

On 12/4/2021 at 10:35 PM, nfitz said:

Which is similar to what they where going to do with 2018 CONCACAF Champions, which was going to have a play-off game between the 2016 and 2017 Voyageurs Cup winners ... until Toronto FC made it easy by winning both.

This raises an interesting point. Say another MLS team qualifies via the V.Cup and an MLS spot. Is it determined by order of qualification or playoff game for the spot? Would the runner up get it, or would MLS shove out the Canadian team since they already qualified via their domestic tourney. I'd presume the later.

1 hour ago, -Hammer- said:

This raises an interesting point. Say another MLS team qualifies via the V.Cup and an MLS spot. Is it determined by order of qualification or playoff game for the spot? Would the runner up get it, or would MLS shove out the Canadian team since they already qualified via their domestic tourney. I'd presume the later.

We could have as many as 6 teams in the Champions League if a CPL team wins the Voyageurs Cup and the 3 MLS teams perform well in MLS and or Leagues Cup

1 hour ago, narduch said:

We could have as many as 6 teams in the Champions League if a CPL team wins the Voyageurs Cup and the 3 MLS teams perform well in MLS and or Leagues Cup

While certainly possible, all three MLS teams doing well enough to take MLS and make a splash, whilst not doing so good that they lose to a CanPL side in the V.Cup seems unlikely to me, but anything can happen in a knockout tournament. Especially if Canada soccer keeps up with these single legged games for the V.Cup (which I hope they don't). However, it does beg the question. 

If a Canadian MLS team qualifies via US means and wins the V.Cup, how is it determined which slot they use and whose federation gets to be bumped off it.

Edited by -Hammer-

3 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

While certainly possible, all three MLS teams doing well enough to take MLS and make a splash, whilst not doing so good that they lose to a CanPL side in the V.Cup seems unlikely to me, but anything can happen in a knockout tournament. Especially if Canada soccer keeps up with these single legged games for the V.Cup (which I hope they don't). However, it does beg the question. 

If a Canadian MLS team qualifies via US means and wins the V.Cup, how is it determined which slot they use and whose federation gets to be bumped off it.

Good point.

Considering they haven't even set the rules for if a CPL team qualifies twice now (via Concacaf League and Vs Cup). My guess is they won't even think it through