Sign in to follow this  
Macksam

2020 Kit thread

I really like the Halifax kit. I'm looking forward to picking up a version. 

If everyone's Away kit is black... eh... I don't love that. I'd be a bit bummed. In an attempt to maintain my collection of Wanderers kits (guys, I have every kit that has released since inception! Pretty cool, eh? ;) ) I'd probably snag one. But it doesn't feel as good as the two unique kits last year did. 

I feel like last year they didn't pay enough attention to the lightness or darkness of the kits.  2 kits from different teams may appear in a show room to be very different because they are, for example, bright purple and bright blue. However, on the field when the players are using periphery vision and are moving fast and the bright sun is washing everything out, the eye will pick out the relative lightness versus darkness before it has time to notice anything else.  Imagine you are watching the game on a black and white tv : two different colours might appear equally grey. I feel like some of the combinations of away and home kits last year would have been hard for the players. All black away kits would probably help with this quite a bit -- even though it may or may not be pleasing design. Having said that, there are still plenty of dark colours you can choose from too ...

Isn’t this why a third kit was invented? You have your home kit, and you have a light road kit and a dark road kit. On the road, you use whatever clashes less with your opposition’s home kit. At least, that’s my completely uninformed conclusion from watching EPL.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Ansem said:

Bespoke FC should relax.

It's a minor issue at best. 

I'm not surprised though considering all clubs have white shorts and socks for their home kits....guessing Atleti will probably follow suit as well. I don't think it will be an issue as long as they all have unique designs. 

I guess they are going a more traditional North American sports route this year by having a coloured home kit and a shade for the away kit, except instead of it being white, they are opting for black. 

Edited by Macksam

I like the Y9 kit that was revealed this week but if the other kit is a black kit it will change my opinion on the home kit. If road kit is predominantly black then there isn’t enough green this year. 

I’m against every club having black away kits. It just doesn’t make sense. A club whose home kit is dark blue shouldn’t have a black away kit. A club who has no black in their colour scheme, shouldn’t have a black away kit. If true, this is very disappointing. Love the home kits though. 

On 2/29/2020 at 1:01 PM, Ansem said:

Might not be as lame as it sounds.  All the away kits having a healthy portion of black in them is something quite different from all the away kits being black.  We'll see.

I'll keep an open mind for now.  If true, an interesting idea.  But then so was communism.  In the real world you find that interesting ideas sometimes don't survive outside of the laboratory.

ANY application of fishnet into the design and I am soooo out. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

The away kits need fringe, like the 70s NASL Colorado Caribou.

Those were wonderful looking shirts, I can't believe the idea didn't catch on!

On 2/29/2020 at 2:01 PM, Ansem said:

Some guy I've never heard of and they say outright that it's a rumour and they seem to imply that they will all be identical and entirely black but it's not clear if it's really different individual styles of mostly black or mostly dark....

Sorry, I'm not wasting my time getting upset about this.

6 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I M hoping companies like Magna, Linamar, Shopify , UNICO , and Toyota become shirt sponsors

May I ask why?   Other than Toyota, I've never heard of any of them.

3 hours ago, vancanman said:

May I ask why?   Other than Toyota, I've never heard of any of them.

ill tell you why both magna, and Linamar are huge manufacturing companies that employthousands of people  here in Ontario, Shopify is a multi million dollar  startup in waterloo and unico is one of the biggest food distributers here in Canada

33 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I M hoping companies like Magna, Linamar, Shopify , UNICO , and Toyota become shirt sponsors

I'm hoping somebody in CanPL beats Whitecaps to be the first to have No Frills on the front of their kit. Valour, maybe?

38 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

ill tell you why both magna, and Linamar are huge manufacturing companies that employthousands of people  here in Ontario, Shopify is a multi million dollar  startup in waterloo and unico is one of the biggest food distributers here in Canada

Ah, is Magna the parts supplier that Belinda Stronach owns?  Geez, I went blank on Unico as well (pasta sauce?).  Sorry, and thank you.  And to think I'll be even older and less with it tomorrow!

33 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Since we still have 2 teams running around with macron and One soccer on the shirt, taking some cash from anyone of those companies mentioned would be great.  

It was already bad enough having 66% of all Canadian MLS teams having the same sponsor.

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Since we still have 2 teams running around with macron and One soccer on the shirt, taking some cash from anyone of those companies mentioned would be great.  

Only HFX and Pacific now have the same sponsor (VW).  EDM now switched from One Soccer to Swoosh but I agree there are many companies with lots of money like Petro Canada, Cdn Tire and one of the major banks (with their billion $ profits) etc. that should step up to the plate.

If Videotron/Quebecor doesn't come on as a sponsor for a future Quebec side, I'd be very surprised. It'd be right up their alley and speak directly to their target market.

36 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Only HFX and Pacific now have the same sponsor (VW).  EDM now switched from One Soccer to Swoosh but I agree there are many companies with lots of money like Petro Canada, Cdn Tire and one of the major banks (with their billion $ profits) etc. that should step up to the plate.

Swoosh is WestJet's bargain fleet. So although Calgary & Edmonton look like they have different sponsors, they're a sort of father & son line.

Macron is on every jersey, plus the big sponsor on one. Not really sure it's getting much extra value out of having the big spot as well, but I guess if Macron is kicking in extra cash for it, we'll take it eh? Low value advertisement does not equal high value returns for anyone. Another sponsor could use the spot for a greater ROI & a greater investment amount.

Unless CPL matches are distributed more frequently on channels other than OneSoccer, that's wasted value there as well. We, obviously, don't know if MediaPro is kicking in extra (hopefully they are), but they certainly aren't getting much out of it. As with Macron, another sponsor could use the spot for a greater ROI & a greater investment amount.

There are a lot of potential sponsors out there, but we likely won't see any step forward until we're through dealing with COVID-19's damage on the markets. When we get past 3-years of play, I think we'll really see the ball start rolling on that (assuming we don't get another big collapse of the markets).

Posted (edited)

Anyone else surprised Tim Horton's isn't a sponsor?  Considering their involvement with youth soccer and Clanachan's history with them I would've thought they would've had a presence in the league. 

I guess hot cups of coffee on the sidelines in the middle of summer aren't a easy a sell as in the cold rinks in winter.

Edit: Forgot about Forge

Edited by Stouffvillain
Forgot about Forge