Sign in to follow this  
Macksam

2020 Kit thread

16 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Not a new one per se, but I get the impression that this may signal that Westjet is investing more in the league. Becoming a sponsor for one than one team would suggest to me that they've had to pay for that ad space. Also, I noticed that the season schedule was "presented by Westjet" this year, when I don't recall there being any corporate sponsorship for this last year. I'm hoping that this means that Westjet liked what they saw last year and want to expand their partnership. 

This would be my understanding as well. Westjet has definitely increased their investment, so they must have seen a fair ROI from year-one.

Additionally, for tax purposes, Swoop would likely be its own "company," even if its just a subsidiary. As a result, this would definitely be new money from Swoop (who may even have taken a "loan" from Westjet to pay for it, again, for the potential tax breaks).

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If a crest or logo is old, you can put up with it for purely nostalgic or historical reasons. 

If you do a new one, the least you should do is hire a proper designer who expresses a concept fans can relate to. 

Here pretty well everything is a mess, I am surprised At Madrid let them get away with it. 

And yes, the At Madrid crest is odd, but that is its traditional image, a bear eating from a mulberry tree is the crest of Madrid city.

Not being from San Luis, I don't think I can comment on whether the people there can 'relate to' that crest or not.  I also don''t see how it's a mess.  

43 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

This would be my understanding as well. Westjet has definitely increased their investment, so they must have seen a fair ROI from year-one.

Additionally, for tax purposes, Swoop would likely be its own "company," even if its just a subsidiary. As a result, this would definitely be new money from Swoop (who may even have taken a "loan" from Westjet to pay for it, again, for the potential tax breaks).

You and @m-g-williams may be right.  It’s going to be a rough ride for the economy in the upcoming months so I hope the corporate sponsorship will keep up.  

I just got back last week from a work trip to South Korea and Japan and things were relatively dead on the streets.  Can’t imagine what it’s like now and can’t see it not affecting the rest of the world (especially airlines).

To be fair, we really have no idea how the sponsorship is working. We all thought it was a bit sad that multiple clubs had the same sponsor, but perhaps Volkswagen gave the league more money because of this opportunity. You can say Onesoccer is a little startup, but they are backed by MediaPro who may have thrown in additional dollars to be on the shirt.

I did read/hear that Macron deal was substantial. My sense is that the league is using the kits to reward its key sponsors who are making substantial investment. I'm sure El Jimador or Estrella could be on a shirt, but I'd guess they are not investing enough to be there yet. Although both might make sense for Atletico. (Plus 500 would be a good partner too).

Edited by youllneverwalkalone
Spelling

7 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

To be fair, we really have no idea how the sponsorship is working. We all thought it was a bit sad that multiple clubs had the same sponsor, but perhaps Volkswagen gave the league more money because of this opportunity. You can say Onesoccer is a little startup, but they are backed by MediaPro who may have thrown in additional dollars to be on the shirt.

I did read/hear that Macron deal was substantial. My sense is that the league is using the kits to reward its key sponsors who are making substantial investment. I'm sure El Jimador or Estrella could be on a shirt, but I'd guess they are not investing enough to be there yet. Although both might make sense for Atletico. (Plus 500 would be a good partner too).

Don’t know if Plus 500 would be a sponsor in Canada as the business they are in, contracts for difference, are highly regulated in Canada and illegal in the US and some other countries.  It’s kinda like gambling on financial markets, which if you think about it, is what all speculation is about.

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I was rather hoping that TD would be Y9's kit sponsor this year. They seem to be a major local sponsor for the club, and it already fits the colour palette pretty nicely. 

7 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Good post. Of course Estrella being from Barcelona and also it being in the same distribution network as Moosehead are likely factors. 

Atlético San Luis does not have a traditional AtM sponsor so I'm sure AtM are fairly flexible there. 

I saw the images on social last night and was unimpressed with Forge kit at first look like several responders here 

I went to Forge shop today and purchased 2 ( one for me and one for my son)

They look better far  in person and love the champions patch too (Forever First!)

The shop had last years kit too; so plain and dull compared to this year version 

so for any doubters that have not seen it yet in person, you will like the new kits once you see them 

A bit more on Atlético Madrid and their shirt deal and sponsors.

Right now they have a Nike deal signed until 2026 but word is they are going to break it and sign with Puma. I forget the numbers but they do not make a lot for the Nike deal, considering their size as a top 20 European club now.

I think the fact that they are pressuring Nike makes it easier for them to go to Mexico and sign with a shirt maker there, and come to Canada and do a shirt with Macron. I say this because it would literally be impossible for Barça, you don't risk one of the top shirt deals in the world just to play around in a smaller market with another maker-designer. Atletico might try to sell their shirts in their Ottawa shop, which would make sense, some fans might go for the AtM shirt. Part of the reason AtM bought the Ottawa club and insists on its colours is precisely to build a stronger brand, so as to potentially increase revenue from future shirt deals.

I am even surprised that ManCity accepted the Adidas deal in MLS, considering they were with Nike when that happened, but now they've partially sorted that out by aligning all their group's teams with Puma--except NYCFC. Puma not being such a direct rival, though growing. 

At some point what might happen in CPL is that a team finds a better deal for the shirt outside the Macron arrangement and begins to pressure the league to get out of the deal. It may take a while. I am surprised that in MLS it hasn't happened yet, considering some teams might and probably do have the power to broker a better deal alone than they are getting from MLS in the league -arranged contract.

9 hours ago, JamboAl said:

You and @m-g-williams may be right.  It’s going to be a rough ride for the economy in the upcoming months so I hope the corporate sponsorship will keep up.  

I just got back last week from a work trip to South Korea and Japan and things were relatively dead on the streets.  Can’t imagine what it’s like now and can’t see it not affecting the rest of the world (especially airlines).

In Japan, store shelves are starting to get thin.  J League matches are cancelled until further notice.  Almost all business trips have been cancelled.  Schools from K to 12 are closed until April.   The Olympics are likely to be cancelled.  I can't imagine what it's like in Korea now either, but I believe it's much worse there.  

Edited by vancanman

My thoughts on the 2020 home kits:

LIKE IT!:  Edmonton

DECENT: Valour, York

AVERAGE: Cavalry

HMMM: Pacific, HFX

WTF: Forge

The busy-ness of Pacific and HFX don't do it for me. Just a bit too clever. Ditto for Cavalry but to a lesser extent.

That Valour collar really is strange and reminds me a bit of the morons who wear a baseball cap at some very specific but wonky angle -- the peak has nothing to do with blocking the sun you know!

I quite like York and don't mind the Ajax-like but narrower green stripe but overall it is a bit plain (love the black as 3rd trim colour though).

2 hours ago, vancanman said:

In Japan, store shelves are starting to get thin.  J League matches are cancelled until further notice.  Almost all business trips have been cancelled.  Schools from K to 12 are closed until April.   The Olympics are likely to be cancelled.  I can't imagine what it's like in Korea now either, but I believe it's much worse there.  

What a difference a week makes.  Last Tuesday night, I was at the FC Tokyo v Perth Glory match in the AFC Champions League with the anticipation for the start of the J-League season.  Now, no football at all for the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

What a difference a week makes.  Last Tuesday night, I was at the FC Tokyo v Perth Glory match in the AFC Champions League with the anticipation for the start of the J-League season.  Now, no football at all for the foreseeable future.

Could yet happen here too. The 2020 bubonic plague.

Thanks China.

10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I'm going to start a coronavirus thread in the Off Topic thingy so I don't end up hijacking this thread.  I'll give more details about the effects on daily life, the economy, sport, etc. for anyone interested in what could be headed Canada's way if this bloody thing doesn't piss off soon.

Maybe I will change my mind, I doubt it, I think the Forge shirts are horrendous! It's a good thing I passed on the kit unveiling, I would have been choking on my $5 beer!

Edited by gator

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Just ordered a 3XL Y9 kit... hope it fits better than the XXL I ordered last year (I’m normally an XL).

Better have someone look at your closet. Closets have been know to shrink clothes 😉

Edited by IAmPappy

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

I like the Forge jerseys much better than last year's edition, which was just an adult-sized Timbits soccer shirt

That's exactly what my wife said, maybe I'll get used to the new ones!

44 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Black is smoking hot. I have a black TFC keeper's jersey and it turns heads. The babes love it. 

More seriously, I was wondering about that since so many home kits have white backs, it seemed they had to do something there.