2020 Kit thread

Macksam

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

To be fair, we really have no idea how the sponsorship is working. We all thought it was a bit sad that multiple clubs had the same sponsor, but perhaps Volkswagen gave the league more money because of this opportunity. You can say Onesoccer is a little startup, but they are backed by MediaPro who may have thrown in additional dollars to be on the shirt.

I did read/hear that Macron deal was substantial. My sense is that the league is using the kits to reward its key sponsors who are making substantial investment. I'm sure El Jimador or Estrella could be on a shirt, but I'd guess they are not investing enough to be there yet. Although both might make sense for Atletico. (Plus 500 would be a good partner too).

I was rather hoping that TD would be Y9's kit sponsor this year. They seem to be a major local sponsor for the club, and it already fits the colour palette pretty nicely. 

7 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

To be fair, we really have no idea how the sponsorship is working. We all thought it was a bit sad that multiple clubs had the same sponsor, but perhaps Volkswagen gave the league more money because of this opportunity. You can say Onesoccer is a little startup, but they are backed by MediaPro who may have thrown in additional dollars to be on the shirt.

I did read/hear that Macron deal was substantial. My sense is that the league is using the kits to reward its key sponsors who are making substantial investment. I'm sure El Jimador or Estrella could be on a shirt, but I'd guess they are not investing enough to be there yet. Although both might make sense for Atletico. (Plus 500 would be a good partner too).

Good post. Of course Estrella being from Barcelona and also it being in the same distribution network as Moosehead are likely factors. 

Atlético San Luis does not have a traditional AtM sponsor so I'm sure AtM are fairly flexible there. 

I saw the images on social last night and was unimpressed with Forge kit at first look like several responders here 

I went to Forge shop today and purchased 2 ( one for me and one for my son)

They look better far  in person and love the champions patch too (Forever First!)

The shop had last years kit too; so plain and dull compared to this year version 

so for any doubters that have not seen it yet in person, you will like the new kits once you see them 

A bit more on Atlético Madrid and their shirt deal and sponsors.

Right now they have a Nike deal signed until 2026 but word is they are going to break it and sign with Puma. I forget the numbers but they do not make a lot for the Nike deal, considering their size as a top 20 European club now.

I think the fact that they are pressuring Nike makes it easier for them to go to Mexico and sign with a shirt maker there, and come to Canada and do a shirt with Macron. I say this because it would literally be impossible for Barça, you don't risk one of the top shirt deals in the world just to play around in a smaller market with another maker-designer. Atletico might try to sell their shirts in their Ottawa shop, which would make sense, some fans might go for the AtM shirt. Part of the reason AtM bought the Ottawa club and insists on its colours is precisely to build a stronger brand, so as to potentially increase revenue from future shirt deals.

I am even surprised that ManCity accepted the Adidas deal in MLS, considering they were with Nike when that happened, but now they've partially sorted that out by aligning all their group's teams with Puma--except NYCFC. Puma not being such a direct rival, though growing. 

At some point what might happen in CPL is that a team finds a better deal for the shirt outside the Macron arrangement and begins to pressure the league to get out of the deal. It may take a while. I am surprised that in MLS it hasn't happened yet, considering some teams might and probably do have the power to broker a better deal alone than they are getting from MLS in the league -arranged contract.

9 hours ago, JamboAl said:

You and @m-g-williams may be right.  It’s going to be a rough ride for the economy in the upcoming months so I hope the corporate sponsorship will keep up.  

I just got back last week from a work trip to South Korea and Japan and things were relatively dead on the streets.  Can’t imagine what it’s like now and can’t see it not affecting the rest of the world (especially airlines).

In Japan, store shelves are starting to get thin.  J League matches are cancelled until further notice.  Almost all business trips have been cancelled.  Schools from K to 12 are closed until April.   The Olympics are likely to be cancelled.  I can't imagine what it's like in Korea now either, but I believe it's much worse there.  

Edited by vancanman

2 hours ago, vancanman said:

In Japan, store shelves are starting to get thin.  J League matches are cancelled until further notice.  Almost all business trips have been cancelled.  Schools from K to 12 are closed until April.   The Olympics are likely to be cancelled.  I can't imagine what it's like in Korea now either, but I believe it's much worse there.  

What a difference a week makes.  Last Tuesday night, I was at the FC Tokyo v Perth Glory match in the AFC Champions League with the anticipation for the start of the J-League season.  Now, no football at all for the foreseeable future.

10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

What a difference a week makes.  Last Tuesday night, I was at the FC Tokyo v Perth Glory match in the AFC Champions League with the anticipation for the start of the J-League season.  Now, no football at all for the foreseeable future.

I'm going to start a coronavirus thread in the Off Topic thingy so I don't end up hijacking this thread.  I'll give more details about the effects on daily life, the economy, sport, etc. for anyone interested in what could be headed Canada's way if this bloody thing doesn't piss off soon.

I really like the Halifax kit. I'm looking forward to picking up a version. 

If everyone's Away kit is black... eh... I don't love that. I'd be a bit bummed. In an attempt to maintain my collection of Wanderers kits (guys, I have every kit that has released since inception! Pretty cool, eh? ;) ) I'd probably snag one. But it doesn't feel as good as the two unique kits last year did. 

I feel like last year they didn't pay enough attention to the lightness or darkness of the kits.  2 kits from different teams may appear in a show room to be very different because they are, for example, bright purple and bright blue. However, on the field when the players are using periphery vision and are moving fast and the bright sun is washing everything out, the eye will pick out the relative lightness versus darkness before it has time to notice anything else.  Imagine you are watching the game on a black and white tv : two different colours might appear equally grey. I feel like some of the combinations of away and home kits last year would have been hard for the players. All black away kits would probably help with this quite a bit -- even though it may or may not be pleasing design. Having said that, there are still plenty of dark colours you can choose from too ...

Isn’t this why a third kit was invented? You have your home kit, and you have a light road kit and a dark road kit. On the road, you use whatever clashes less with your opposition’s home kit. At least, that’s my completely uninformed conclusion from watching EPL.

23 hours ago, Ansem said:

Bespoke FC should relax.

It's a minor issue at best. 

I'm not surprised though considering all clubs have white shorts and socks for their home kits....guessing Atleti will probably follow suit as well. I don't think it will be an issue as long as they all have unique designs. 

I guess they are going a more traditional North American sports route this year by having a coloured home kit and a shade for the away kit, except instead of it being white, they are opting for black. 

Edited by Macksam

I’m against every club having black away kits. It just doesn’t make sense. A club whose home kit is dark blue shouldn’t have a black away kit. A club who has no black in their colour scheme, shouldn’t have a black away kit. If true, this is very disappointing. Love the home kits though. 

On 2/29/2020 at 1:01 PM, Ansem said:

Might not be as lame as it sounds.  All the away kits having a healthy portion of black in them is something quite different from all the away kits being black.  We'll see.

I'll keep an open mind for now.  If true, an interesting idea.  But then so was communism.  In the real world you find that interesting ideas sometimes don't survive outside of the laboratory.

ANY application of fishnet into the design and I am soooo out.