2020 Kit thread

Macksam

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Exactly this. Aside from the fact that Valour are now Arsenal, the original colours were maroon, black, and gold, so how about sticking with that.

No black in the home kit either.  Nada.  So hoping the away shirt is an echo of last years.  

Collar is a bit goofy.  Not a fan of collars and especially not this one. The Golden Boy 150 ghosted on the back is a crazy good idea that didn't pan out.  Since no one will ever see it.

All in all modestly impressed with the collection.  Patiently awaiting Athletico's release. 

16 minutes ago, jonovision said:

In my opinion all of the teams improved on their year 1 jerseys except Valour. Though I wasn't a big fan of the 2019 home kit either. The away kits were fantastic. Are they changing for 2020?

Yep.  All teams are getting new home kits as well this year.

3 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

Happy to see a new sponsor in Swoop. Makes me wonder about Atletico Ottawa, will they have a new sponsor?

Swoop is the ultra low cost option from WestJet.  I don’t think it’s technically a new sponsor in that there is no new money coming in.

I couldn't wait for my lunch break today so I could have a chance to have a look at the new kits.  I'm glad I looked at some of them before I ate.  Now that I'm home, I can sign in and get a few things off my chest. 

Pacific:  The starfish don't bother me nearly as much as that fading business.  It's the football equivalent of acid wash.  Every Pacific player should be required to grow a mullet and the team should come out of the tunnel to Working for the Weekend by Loverboy.  That bizarre crest that looks like a Girl Guide ribbon just looks worse on this shirt than last year's.  However, the fading is quite low, so most of the shirt is one colour, so it could have been much worse [ahem, Halifax].  Speaking of Halifax, come on CPL.  We weren't fooled last season either by having both VW-sponsored kits 4,000 kilometres apart.  5/10

FC Edmonton:  Beautiful.  No weird sh*t.  Just a kit.  If it didn't come with the mandatory white shorts and socks, it would have had an extra point.  8.5/10

Cavalry:  Inventive.  It has weird sh*t that appeals to a lot of people, but it's not hideous, despite being from Calgary.  (Sorry, couldn't resist.  Just kidding, there's nothing wrong with Calgary.  Besides, I guess it's from Italy, actually.)  Anyway, it's a sash that isn't a sash, and even though there are all those crazy angled lines, it's still balanced somehow.  Well done, Cavalry.  8/10

Valour:  Beautiful, classic and nothing weird.  An easy 9 out of...hang on, what the hell's with that collar?  Anyone who wears it is going to look as if his wife's constantly tugging on his shirt to get him home from the pub.  8/10

Forge:  Well, someone's been inspired by the lovely 1978 Colorado Caribou shirts [see below]  Holy crap, what a monstrosity.  However, I do agree with a lot of people that it somehow looks better when it's on a player.  Still, is it a football kit, or a 1970's rec room carpet?  On its own:  2/10.  Along with the imaginative white shorts and socks:  5/10

802043592_Screenshot2020-02-28at17_31_37.png.63dccdb56d65a84c462e05200d36941a.png

York:  It's really hard to get past a white shirt with white shorts...and what colour are the socks again?  On its own, it's pretty nice.   However, an entire kit except for a green stripe that makes the shirt look as if someone's been dribbling and puking green stuff all down his shirt (not a pleasant experience, from what I remember) is too Leeds-y or without-the-hoop Whitecaps-y for me.  I guess the stripe's not too bad.  Without it, that kit would be whiter than an Alabama trailer park.   5/10

Wanderers:  Bloody hell!  From best kit in the league last season to the worst this season.  What the hell is this thing?  There's just way too much going on here.  If it had just been that shade of blue at the shoulders fading into white, OK.  This trendoid fading crapola will look dated soon enough, but I'll put up with it for now.  However, the sleeves are a completely different shade of blue, which without the fading would be fine, but put them together and the completely different shade of blue looks like sleeves from a completely different shirt.  Is there a shade of blue that's not on this shirt?  Then you get down to that musical whatsit that looks like a set of shark teeth or something, and the whole thing is just a mess.  1/10

OK, there's my two cents.

Edited by vancanman

I’m all for something different and if it gets the CPL one speck of additional PR, that will be good.  Macron didn’t design these things not to make money.  
And if you Google all the kits made in the last five years, you’ll find some “unorthodox” designs (e.g. Man City’s third kit they wore against Leicester this past Saturday).  Some of them have had really good sales figures.

This is what they did with the Atletico San Luis shirt, very little variation on the At Madrid home kit, but a decent away kit. It is done by a Mexican manufacturer I think. 

It`ll be interesting to see how Macron works with At Madrid, if they can do a slight twist on the shirt to keep it close to home, but also in the spirit of the other CPL kits.

Compared with the other kits, it would actually be a bit of relief to have something not so overdone, which is why most of us like the solution of FCE this year.

BTW, I invite you to take a look at the crest, it's atrocious.

jerseys-pirma-atletico-san-luis-2019-20-h-1021x550.jpg

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is what they did with the Atletico San Luis shirt, very little variation on the At Madrid home kit, but a decent away kit. It is done by a Mexican manufacturer I think. 

It`ll be interesting to see how Macron works with At Madrid, if they can do a slight twist on the shirt to keep it close to home, but also in the spirit of the other CPL kits.

Compared with the other kits, it would actually be a bit of relief to have something not so overdone, which is why most of us like the solution of FCE this year.

BTW, I invite you to take a look at the crest, it's atrocious.

jerseys-pirma-atletico-san-luis-2019-20-h-1021x550.jpg

Yes, the manufacturer is Pirma, from Mexico.  What's wrong with the crest?

9 minutes ago, vancanman said:

Technology and I are not on very good terms.  I meant to quote you when I responded so you 'd know I'd replied, but unsurprisingly, it didn't quite work out that way.  (Please see above post.)

If a crest or logo is old, you can put up with it for purely nostalgic or historical reasons. 

If you do a new one, the least you should do is hire a proper designer who expresses a concept fans can relate to. 

Here pretty well everything is a mess, I am surprised At Madrid let them get away with it. 

And yes, the At Madrid crest is odd, but that is its traditional image, a bear eating from a mulberry tree is the crest of Madrid city.

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Swoop is the ultra low cost option from WestJet.  I don’t think it’s technically a new sponsor in that there is no new money coming in.

Not a new one per se, but I get the impression that this may signal that Westjet is investing more in the league. Becoming a sponsor for one than one team would suggest to me that they've had to pay for that ad space. Also, I noticed that the season schedule was "presented by Westjet" this year, when I don't recall there being any corporate sponsorship for this last year. I'm hoping that this means that Westjet liked what they saw last year and want to expand their partnership. 

16 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Not a new one per se, but I get the impression that this may signal that Westjet is investing more in the league. Becoming a sponsor for one than one team would suggest to me that they've had to pay for that ad space. Also, I noticed that the season schedule was "presented by Westjet" this year, when I don't recall there being any corporate sponsorship for this last year. I'm hoping that this means that Westjet liked what they saw last year and want to expand their partnership. 

This would be my understanding as well. Westjet has definitely increased their investment, so they must have seen a fair ROI from year-one.

Additionally, for tax purposes, Swoop would likely be its own "company," even if its just a subsidiary. As a result, this would definitely be new money from Swoop (who may even have taken a "loan" from Westjet to pay for it, again, for the potential tax breaks).

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If a crest or logo is old, you can put up with it for purely nostalgic or historical reasons. 

If you do a new one, the least you should do is hire a proper designer who expresses a concept fans can relate to. 

Here pretty well everything is a mess, I am surprised At Madrid let them get away with it. 

And yes, the At Madrid crest is odd, but that is its traditional image, a bear eating from a mulberry tree is the crest of Madrid city.

Not being from San Luis, I don't think I can comment on whether the people there can 'relate to' that crest or not.  I also don''t see how it's a mess.  

43 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

This would be my understanding as well. Westjet has definitely increased their investment, so they must have seen a fair ROI from year-one.

Additionally, for tax purposes, Swoop would likely be its own "company," even if its just a subsidiary. As a result, this would definitely be new money from Swoop (who may even have taken a "loan" from Westjet to pay for it, again, for the potential tax breaks).

You and @m-g-williams may be right.  It’s going to be a rough ride for the economy in the upcoming months so I hope the corporate sponsorship will keep up.  

I just got back last week from a work trip to South Korea and Japan and things were relatively dead on the streets.  Can’t imagine what it’s like now and can’t see it not affecting the rest of the world (especially airlines).

To be fair, we really have no idea how the sponsorship is working. We all thought it was a bit sad that multiple clubs had the same sponsor, but perhaps Volkswagen gave the league more money because of this opportunity. You can say Onesoccer is a little startup, but they are backed by MediaPro who may have thrown in additional dollars to be on the shirt.

I did read/hear that Macron deal was substantial. My sense is that the league is using the kits to reward its key sponsors who are making substantial investment. I'm sure El Jimador or Estrella could be on a shirt, but I'd guess they are not investing enough to be there yet. Although both might make sense for Atletico. (Plus 500 would be a good partner too).

Edited by youllneverwalkalone
Spelling

7 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

To be fair, we really have no idea how the sponsorship is working. We all thought it was a bit sad that multiple clubs had the same sponsor, but perhaps Volkswagen gave the league more money because of this opportunity. You can say Onesoccer is a little startup, but they are backed by MediaPro who may have thrown in additional dollars to be on the shirt.

I did read/hear that Macron deal was substantial. My sense is that the league is using the kits to reward its key sponsors who are making substantial investment. I'm sure El Jimador or Estrella could be on a shirt, but I'd guess they are not investing enough to be there yet. Although both might make sense for Atletico. (Plus 500 would be a good partner too).

Don’t know if Plus 500 would be a sponsor in Canada as the business they are in, contracts for difference, are highly regulated in Canada and illegal in the US and some other countries.  It’s kinda like gambling on financial markets, which if you think about it, is what all speculation is about.