Frank Sturing

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

More Toronto centre of the universe talk happening in a completely unrelated thread. Why won't these TFC fans stop hyping up their own players!

The funny part is that if you actually go to the TFC thread in the MLS section it is many of the TFC fans who tend to be heavily criticizing the young Canadians - which is the opposite of what was alleged.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Could Sturing feature in our wc plans. He’s not playing much it sounds like and he’s also been at cdm. It’s almost 100% too late for this but does anyone know how he compares to guys like waterman, Cornelius, james?. In hindsight, would he be an option to have looked at for cb?

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Could Sturing feature in our wc plans. He’s not playing much it sounds like and he’s also been at cdm. It’s almost 100% too late for this but does anyone know how he compares to guys like waterman, Cornelius, james?. In hindsight, would he be an option to have looked at for cb?

The Austrian second Bundesliga is not a strong league, so no.

Edited by VinceA

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

The Austrian second Bundesliga is not a strong league, so no.

But is it stronger than the Slovakian 1st division or the Estonian second division?  Are these real championships? How about the Swedish IKEA cashiers intramural 1st division Retail World Cup squad? I demand answers, dammit all!

12 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

But is it stronger than the Slovakian 1st division or the Estonian second division?  Are these real championships? How about the Swedish IKEA cashiers intramural 1st division Retail World Cup squad? I demand answers, dammit all!

This one is hyper selective due to eligibility criteria, and being the first division, they normally field a good side. 

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Frank’s SV Horn have not applied for a Bundesliga license so even if they win the 2.Liga, they cannot be promoted.  They are currently top of the league.

https://www.oefbl.at/oefbl/redaktionsbaum/news/bundesliga-lizenzantraege-2023-24/

Austrian Bundesliga must have minimum standards which the club either feels they can't meet or don't want to invest the money to attempt to meet. I imagine their stadium size (3,500) is probably an issue... although TSV Hartberg has a 4.6K stadium, so IDK. Either way, pretty weak, and if promotion ain't gonna happen now or in the future, I think it's time for Frank to pick up sticks and move on.

1 minute ago, A_Gagne said:

Austrian Bundesliga must have minimum standards which the club either feels they can't meet or don't want to invest the money to attempt to meet. I imagine their stadium size (3,500) is probably an issue... although TSV Hartberg has a 4.6K stadium, so IDK. Either way, pretty weak, and if promotion ain't gonna happen now or in the future, I think it's time for Frank to pick up sticks and move on.

There are minimum standards but also the club may not feel like they can make the step up financially.  You will notice that only 5 of the 13 clubs eligible for promotion have applied for a license and only 4 teams in all the regional leagues combined have applied for the second division.  Those numbers are pretty standard every season. 

Austrian football is littered with clubs who have disappeared (and then reappear years later in the regional leagues).  

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, costarg said:

Oh man, just read he's been unattached since this summer.  That's rough, a little while ago we were hoping this guy would break through.  Already 26 though!  I thought he was still young.

He scored in World Cup Qualifying!

Ok, it was against Cayman Islands

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Oh man, just read he's been unattached since this summer.  That's rough, a little while ago we were hoping this guy would break through.  Already 26 though!  I thought he was still young.

Well, I don't think he's old but I also don't think he sounds very promising anymore either. 

12 minutes ago, nolando said:

Well, I don't think he's old but I also don't think he sounds very promising anymore either. 

Yeah. He is what he is at this point. Kind of cool he got a cap, that's big for his resume. He should slot in nicely at the CPL. Gotta think that doesn't happen without his link to Canada via those few call ups he got. Furthermore, he's another signing that boosts the overall quality of the league. And he gets to play continential ball if he signs for Cavalry. Pretty cool for him to get to immerse himself more with North American footy. 

• 2 weeks later...