Frank Sturing

The Dutch 2nd tier season is divided into 4 quarters. Sturing's teamate, the greatly-named Jizz has been voted the best player of the 4th quarter of the season.

He is also in the running for player of the whole season.

To any and all Voyageurs based in The Netherlands, take a moment and vote for the Jizz! :D 
https://keukenkampioendivisie.nl/stemmen-schilden/

As mentioned, despite the team finishing 2nd last, he was tied for 3 place in goals scored over the course of the whole season.

I guess it's difficult for the opposing team to keep a clean sheet when Jizz is involved! :D 

Honestly, this post has nothing to do with Frank Sturing; I just felt like posting about this guy. ;) 

I hope he moves to MLS or England or Scotland; the marketing opportunities, chants and jokes all write themselves!
He should put his first name on his jersey and be known in such a mononymous way like Neymar is or "Atiba" in Turkey.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

An article on Sturing's time with Canada in March:
https://www.gelderlander.nl/sport-nijmegen-e-o/frank-sturing-debuteerde-al-voor-canada-maar-was-er-nog-nooit-het-volkslied-heb-ik-helemaal-meegezongen~a19d5e21/
An interesting little read. On Insta, some of the guys were calling him Frank the Tank; seems to be well liked.

Despite FC Den Bosch finishing the Eerste Divisie 19th out of 20, he had a fairly decent end to the season.

He played every minute of the last 5 matches of the season; 3 wins & 2 loses with his team outscoring the opposition 15 goals to 7.
That's very good playing time for a Canadian centre-back.

Sounds like he really loved his time in camp. 

There were rumours he was linked to a number of CPL sides but if it was true I imagine with the pandemic staying and playing in Europe made more sense than just coming here and not having anything to do. Wonder if rumours pick up again now that his season is coming to end.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Shway said:

He’s another young guy who needs to figure out his club situation. 

Last I heard, he’s still essentially playing for free? Or as he plays?

Yeah this is why the CPL rumours made sense. He signed an amateur deal with Den Bosch to essentially stay match fit. It's not a downgrade if you're making free.99 a year at your current club.

• 2 weeks later...

In a Dutch context an amateur deal probably means semi-professional and able to work a regular job during the regular work day rather than no money at all. Lower budget European pro clubs sometimes have a hybrid model consisting of a core of fully pro players supplemented by semi-pro players to fill out the roster and provide cover for injuries and suspensions.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 5/26/2021 at 10:52 PM, VinceA said:

Yeah this is why the CPL rumours made sense. He signed an amateur deal with Den Bosch to essentially stay match fit. It's not a downgrade if you're making free.99 a year at your current club.

Yeah but if he goes to CPL, I honestly would not mind it if he did. However, if he would rather stay in Holland, then it wouldn't surprise me if Eredivisie teams eventually make offers for him in the future.

• 2 months later...

And with that, the sole remaining member of Unattached FC is....

Ricardo Ferreira - the long coveted dual national that many thought would revolutionize our defensive line and plug the final gap in our squad.

Weird how it all played out.

At least we have another elusive dual national CB to fill that gap (looking at you Tomori). 

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

And with that, the sole remaining member of Unattached FC is....

Ricardo Ferreira - the long coveted dual national that many thought would revolutionize our defensive line and plug the final gap in our squad.

Weird how it all played out.

At least we have another elusive dual national CB to fill that gap (looking at you Tomori). 

I still put the percentage of Tomori ever pulling on the red and white at around 5%, but damn that would be sweet.  

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I still put the percentage of Tomori ever pulling on the red and white at around 5%, but damn that would be sweet.  

Wasn't there a time when Junior Hoilett would have been about that percentage.  Give credit where credit is due, ol' Johnny the Salesman has some pretty good powers of persuasion and a potential World Cup berth doesn't hurt either.  (And yes I know Hoilett was there before him)  Things have changed mightily since Mr Davies has risen to the ascendancy and the Ho has been all but forgotten.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

28 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If Tomori doesn't get an England call in the next 14 months, I'm almost 100% certain that he'll play in Qatar either with us or with Nigeria.

He's starting for AC Milan. I'm pretty sure he'll get a call at some point.

Edited by A_Gagne

4 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

He's starting for AC Milan. I'm pretty sure he'll get a call at some point.

Means absolutely shit. Because he was in the exact same position last year.

The reality is with England, if you aren’t playing in the EPL you won’t get the call unless your on an exceptional team like Trippier is/was or your just super class like the young Jude Bellingham. 

Southgate only watch’s EPL guys reason why Ben White (24), Ben Godfrey(23), Joe Gomez (24) have all gotten looks/actual game time before Tomori (24).

I think the chance of him joining us is closer to 50% than 5%. He’s gotta know that his initial call up was just “lock him up and throw away the key” tactics. 

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

The reality is with England, if you aren’t playing in the EPL you won’t get the call unless your on an exceptional team like Trippier is/was or your just super class like the young Jude Bellingham. 

Southgate only watch’s EPL guys reason why Ben White (24), Ben Godfrey(23), Joe Gomez (24) have all gotten looks/actual game time before Tomori (24).

I think the chance of him joining us is closer to 50% than 5%. He’s gotta know that his initial call up was just “lock him up and throw away the key” tactics. 

I am curious how he would fee if another call came up for a somewhat meaningless match just before the deadline expires to lock him down.   You would have to think that some skepticism might materialize.   Would one call up be enough to tie him to England forever or would he recognize it for what it likely would be - merely a further attempt to keep him out of the hands of us and Nigeria?

And I suspect that part of my 5% estimate is just me subconsciously trying to insulate myself from further disappointment.  

23 minutes ago, Shway said:

Do you have any intel on how vigorously Nigeria is pursuing him? Despite the England cap tie, I think Nigeria is the country we really have to worry about. If the fields are leveled and we make Qatar 2022, I feel Nigeria still has one over us. He has absolutely no ties to Canada except that his mother delivered him in Calgary. England is the country he spent most of his life in and Nigeria is his parents's homeland and right now on paper it has a better team than we do. Our one and only ace in the hole is sweet talking John Herdman.

Edited by Sal333