Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Really hard to take anything away from rolling over Bermuda and/or Cayman Island to be honest. I personally take nothing away from these games. The Suriname game should be more telling, so far they are proving to be one of the better teams in this round of qualifying

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An article from yesterday with some interesting tidbits: https://www.forzanec.nl/nieuws/nieuws/article/sturing-gaat-vol-voor-interlandcarriere-met-canada.html Sturing initiated contact with

I'm starting to believe that we have an AI bot that is slowly learning how to post on forums.

They are not likely actively scouting the last place team in the Dutch second tier

Posted Images

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Really hard to take anything away from rolling over Bermuda and/or Cayman Island to be honest. I personally take nothing away from these games. The Suriname game should be more telling, so far they are proving to be one of the better teams in this round of qualifying

Wait, it’s hard to take anything from us beating Bermuda and CI, but Suriname are proving to be one of the better teams by beating Aruba and CI???

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Addona said:

Wait, it’s hard to take anything from us beating Bermuda and CI, but Suriname are proving to be one of the better teams by beating Aruba and CI???

I give Suriname the benefit of the doubt because their team has not been together for long. They have the potential to perform better than they currently have. And come on, that Cayman Islands team was made up of semi pros. Not long ago even we would struggle to put 4 past these teams, despite knowing we could do better.

Edited by LeoH037
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Addona said:

Wait, it’s hard to take anything from us beating Bermuda and CI, but Suriname are proving to be one of the better teams by beating Aruba and CI???

Even in the broadcast for Canada-Cayman Islands Edgar said the field plays a huge role. Grass means ball moves better around Suriname played on turf for their match against CI.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, VinceA said:

Even in the broadcast for Canada-Cayman Islands Edgar said the field plays a huge role. Grass means ball moves better around Suriname played on turf for their match against CI.

Was that in relation to grass vs turf or a high quality grass field vs some of the Caribbean potato fields we have played on in the past?  I thought it was the latter as opposed to an indictment of turf.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Was that in relation to grass vs turf or a high quality grass field vs some of the Caribbean potato fields we have played on in the past?  I thought it was the latter as opposed to an indictment of turf.  

Edgar specifically mentioned a cricket pitch in St. Lucia, so it was a "good grass vs. bad grass" debate.

Canada would dominate these countries on artificial turf, as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RS said:

Edgar specifically mentioned a cricket pitch in St. Lucia, so it was a "good grass vs. bad grass" debate.

Canada would dominate these countries on artificial turf, as well.

That was my thinking as well.  I have played on a few glorified potato field here in PEI, and when we got to play on turf (including the UPEI pitch for the Island Games) it was always amazing because it was so flat and even - despite the fact that the ball ran pretty quickly.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, narduch said:

I watched most of the Suriname v Cayman Islands game and they basically let up in the 2nd half.

Their fans were jeering them for this. They basically scored the 3rd goal right after this.

How did Surinam look against them compared to how we looked?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, narduch said:

I watched most of the Suriname v Cayman Islands game and they basically let up in the 2nd half.

Their fans were jeering them for this. They basically scored the 3rd goal right after this.

Did they let up or were they not able to sustain the pressure in the second half? There is a difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

In the Eerste Divisie (2nd division Netherlands) he has played full games in the last two matches.
Den Bosch won both with some really wild scorelines.
His greatly-named teammate Jizz continues to score many goals.

I think they are still in the race for the promotion playoff spot through the standings in the Fourth Period; they have 3 matches left in the season and would likely need to win them all + other teams drawing or losing matches.
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_Eerste_Divisie

If I recall correctly, he was the left side centre-back vs The Cayman Islands and Ferreira was on the right?
However, seems to be a right-side centre-back at club level with Den Bosch ( good news I guess, since Cornelius, Kennedy and Miller are left side centre-backs).

With Ferreira still not playing  we could see a

Guti - Kennedy - Sturing - "insert your favourite RB here"   back line vs Aruba.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I thought the merger was for 2025 at the earliest.

Maybe? I thought I read next season 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11906/12248000/eredivisie-belgian-clubs-vote-in-favour-of-cross-border-league-with-teams-from-the-netherlands

I guess they just said they're going to do it but not sure exactly when and how

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, VinceA said:

I'd rather Sturing be in a better league before he enters any conversations with a full strength Canada.

Realistically he should be behind Vitoria, Henry, Miller, Cornelius, and Singh.

 

Are we still putting Singh in that territory? I’m not putting any new TFC starters in the MNT until we see what happens when they return to full strength. If we’re putting Singh in the NT conversation, maybe Waterman should be in there too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, hes right in there with Sturing, Kennedy, Waterman, Didic..sort of the B team call ups.   But we are so thin, if any of them plays well they could take a big role with CMNT.  We havnt seen Kennedy or Singh yet, so they would be good guys to fill out the next roster.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, VinceA said:

I'd rather Sturing be in a better league before he enters any conversations with a full strength Canada.

Realistically he should be behind Vitoria, Henry, Miller, Cornelius, and Singh.

 

One of those things is not like the other.....yet.

But what a start to the MLS season! Great to see another option start to emerge, but let's keep our feet on the ground for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

An article on Sturing's time with Canada in March:
https://www.gelderlander.nl/sport-nijmegen-e-o/frank-sturing-debuteerde-al-voor-canada-maar-was-er-nog-nooit-het-volkslied-heb-ik-helemaal-meegezongen~a19d5e21/
An interesting little read. On Insta, some of the guys were calling him Frank the Tank; seems to be well liked.


Despite FC Den Bosch finishing the Eerste Divisie 19th out of 20, he had a fairly decent end to the season.

He played every minute of the last 5 matches of the season; 3 wins & 2 loses with his team outscoring the opposition 15 goals to 7.
That's very good playing time for a Canadian centre-back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...