MLS Canadians 2020

Gian-Luca

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

Anyone have a comprehensive list yet of where all the Canadians in MLS are playing? Last year there were Canadians getting minutes on 8 teams but I think there's more than that this year.

Good point. When I started this previous editions of this thread I had started it with a list of Canucks per team. Let's take care of that now:

Columbus Crew (1)

Jordan Hamilton

LAFC (2)

Dejan Jakovic

Mark-Anthony Kaye

Inter Miami (2)

Jay Chapman

David Norman Jr.

Minnesota United (1)

Raheem Edwards

Montreal Impact (10)

Clement Bayiha

Zachary Brault-Guillard

Mathieu Choiniere

Anthony Jackson-Hamel

James Pantemis

Samuel Piette

Shamit Shome

Ballou Tabla

Joel Waterman

Karifa Yao

Nashville (1)

Alistair Johnston

New England (1)

Tajon Buchanan

Orlando (2)

Tesho Akindele

Kamal Miller

Real Salt Lake (1)

Ashtone Morgan

Toronto FC (9)

Julian Dunn

Liam Fraser

Richie Laryea

Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

Jayden Nelson

Noble Okello

Jonathan Osorio

Rocco Romeo

Jacob Shaffelburg

Vancouver Whitecaps (13)

Theo Bair

Michael Baldissimo

Lucas Cavallini

Simon Colyn

Derek Cornelius

Maxime Crepeau

Gianfranco Facchieneri

Thomas Hasal

Patrick Metcalfe

Damiano Pecile

Ryan Raposo

Tosaint Ricketts

Russel Teibert

I make that 43 Canucks on first team rosters. 44 if I was to add Callum Montgomery at Dallas but he's been loaned out. I imagine some of the TFC, Whitecaps & Impact younger players may be as well by the time the USL or CPL seasons start so that total could get reduced.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Good point. When I started this previous editions of this thread I had started it with a list of Canucks per team. Let's take care of that now:

Columbus Crew (1)

Jordan Hamilton

LAFC (2)

Dejan Jakovic

Mark-Anthony Kaye

Inter Miami (2)

Jay Chapman

David Norman Jr.

Minnesota United (1)

Raheem Edwards

Montreal Impact (10)

Clement Bayiha

Zachary Brault-Guillard

Mathieu Choiniere

Anthony Jackson-Hamel

James Pantemis

Samuel Piette

Shamit Shome

Ballou Tabla

Joel Waterman

Karifa Yao

Nashville (1)

Alistair Johnston

New England (1)

Tajon Buchanan

Orlando (2)

Tesho Akindele

Kamal Miller

Real Salt Lake (1)

Ashtone Morgan

Toronto FC (9)

Julian Dunn

Liam Fraser

Richie Laryea

Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

Jayden Nelson

Noble Okello

Jonathan Osorio

Rocco Romeo

Jacob Shaffelburg

Vancouver Whitecaps (13)

Theo Bair

Michael Baldissimo

Lucas Cavallini

Simon Colyn

Derek Cornelius

Maxime Crepeau

Gianfranco Facchieneri

Thomas Hasal

Patrick Metcalfe

Damiano Pecile

Ryan Raposo

Tosaint Ricketts

Russel Teibert

I make that 43 Canucks on first team rosters. 44 if I was to add Callum Montgomery at Dallas but he's been loaned out. I imagine some of the TFC, Whitecaps & Impact younger players may be as well by the time the USL or CPL seasons start so that total could get reduced.

You are missing Cristian Gutierrez of the Whitecaps 

On 2/29/2020 at 2:31 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Vancouver Whitecaps (13)

Theo Bair

Michael Baldissimo

Simon Colyn

Gianfranco Facchieneri

Thomas Hasal

Patrick Metcalfe

Damiano Pecile

Russel Teibert

Geogres Mukumbilwa

Apart from the two I've italicized, which of these other academy graduates will actually see a minute of action in MLS play this year?  I don't think Baldissimo and Colyn will be with the team by season's end.

Morgan & Hamilton have yet to see the bench for their respective clubs after the first two games. Neither has Norman Jr. Jay Chapman at least made the bench yesterday for Miami but did not the see the field. The same can be said for Dayne St. Clair but Raheem Edwards however did get onto the field in the 88th minute for Minnesota in their 5-2 drubbing of San Jose, and Tajon Buchanan came on for another late sub appearance for the Revs. Kamal Miller did not leave the bench for Orlando (who seem to have gone to a back three) but Akindele played the full 90 in their 2-1 loss to Colorado.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Morgan & Hamilton have yet to see the bench for their respective clubs after the first two games. Neither has Norman Jr. Jay Chapman at least made the bench yesterday for Miami but did not the see the field. The same can be said for Dayne St. Clair but Raheem Edwards however did get onto the field in the 88th minute for Minnesota in their 5-2 drubbing of San Jose, and Tajon Buchanan came on for another late sub appearance for the Revs. Kamal Miller did not leave the bench for Orlando (who seem to have gone to a back three) but Akindele played the full 90 in their 2-1 loss to Colorado.

Morgan actually played for Real Monarchs yesterday in a game against San Antonio. Montgomery got the only goal in a 1-0 win.

• 4 months later...

MAK is playing well for LAFC today, vs Galaxy, he does a few things that I was not aware of. He follows the play forward into the attack quite well. He has a nice long ball springing the wings, fairly accurate. And he has a lot of creative presence as well. 

He's 25, still has a solid upside and I think that he is ahead of Piette now. If we were to have a double DM, then he'd have a bit more freedom. He's a clear successor to the role Atiba plays, I would love for him to find a career in a solid European league.

• 4 months later...

Good news: the team going to mls cup will have at least one canadian on its roster as all four in the conference semis of today have at least one...in the west its 50-50 as dallas and minnesota have at least one...so overall 6/8 chances of a canadian winning mls cup this year

David Norman Jr. was cut from Miami today:

https://www.intermiamicf.com/en/post/2020/12/03/inter-miami-cf-announces-roster-decisions-following-inaugural-season

Nice to see they gave him a chance! (This is sarcasm by the way). He couldn't have looked any worse that Matuidi did in the playoffs, that's for sure.

Chapman is still with the team for 2021.