IFFHS League Ranking - MLS 66th in the world, 4th in CONCACAF. What's it's real ranking?

Ansem

IFFHS AWARDS – THE STRONGEST NATIONAL LEAGUE IN THE WORLD 2019 – THE ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE NUMBER 1

https://iffhs.de/iffhs-awards-the-strongest-national-league-in-the-world-2019/

UEFA TOP 3: England – Spain – Italy

CONMEBOL TOP 3: Brazil – Colombia – Argentina

CAF TOP 3: Tunisia – Morocco – Egypt

AFC TOP 3: South Korea – Saudi Arabia – Japan

CONCACAF TOP 3: Mexico – Guatemala – Costa Rica

OCEANIA TOP 3: New Caledonia – Tahiti – New Zealand

Edited by Ansem

Based on the results of CONCACAF club competitions, here is my list.

1. Mexico

2. MLS

3. Panama

4. Costa Rica

5. Honduras

6. El Salvador

7. Guatemala

8. Nicaragua

9. Belize

Caribbean honourable mentions to Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica. They might be around 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th, but it is hard to tell because of how CONCACAF (and as a result, my spreadsheet) groups Caribbean leagues together.

I have no idea how that website ranked Guatemala 2nd.

22 hours ago, Kent said:

1. Mexico

2. MLS

3. Panama

4. Costa Rica

5. Honduras

6. El Salvador

7. Guatemala

8. Nicaragua

9. Belize

Caribbean honourable mentions to Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica. They might be around 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th, but it is hard to tell because of how CONCACAF (and as a result, my spreadsheet) groups Caribbean leagues together.

Belize?  That league is a joke.

• 6 months later...
On 2/14/2020 at 10:33 AM, Kent said:

1. Mexico

2. MLS

3. Panama

4. Costa Rica

5. Honduras

6. El Salvador

7. Guatemala

8. Nicaragua

9. Belize

I think Costa Rica and Honduras are neck-and-neck for 3rd/4th. I wonder where we rank. Perhaps in the 6-8 range? Higher maybe? Don’t think we are lower...

Edited by Obinna

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 2:24 PM, Obinna said:

I think Costa Rica and Honduras are neck-and-neck for 3rd/4th. I wonder where we rank. Perhaps in the 6-8 range? Higher maybe? Don’t think we are lower...

Not sure why I didn’t respond to this earlier. The sample space is too small right now to really rank us, but your range sounds reasonable. Off the top of my head I believe Forge beat a Guatemalan team (could be wrong) and lost to a Honduran team (more sure of that one). We shall see if we get more data points this year or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

CPL will be number 3 in the next three years. 

I am a big fan of CPL but this seems like rose coloured glasses gone wild.  Costa Rica has a strong league and with a team like Saprissa  ($4.3M budget according to TransferMarket).  CPL isn’t getting there in 3 years IMO.  Someday?  Absolutely.   Most likely after 2026.  

52 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am a big fan of CPL but this seems like rose coloured glasses gone wild.  Costa Rica has a strong league and with a team like Saprissa  ($4.3M budget according to TransferMarket).  CPL isn’t getting there in 3 years IMO.  Someday?  Absolutely.   Most likely after 2026.  

How good is the second best team in Costa Rica, or Honduras, for that matter? I think that CanPL will never have a single super club like either of those countries, but if we can get to the point where the bulk of the teams in our league are as good or better than the second best team in those leagues, we can argue that we have the third best league in CONCACAF.

8 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

How good is the second best team in Costa Rica, or Honduras, for that matter? I think that CanPL will never have a single super club like either of those countries, but if we can get to the point where the bulk of the teams in our league are as good or better than the second best team in those leagues, we can argue that we have the third best league in CONCACAF.

Don’t get me wrong - I think it will happen. It is the 3 year timeframe I don’t buy.  

20 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

FWIW, I took the top 4 teams and looked them up on transfermarket. 

CS Cartagines - $4.5M

Limon FC - $3.24M

LD Alajuelense - $4.5M

Saprissa - $4.3M

So Saprissa isn’t a unique outlier.  They are definitely one of the elite, but that is a pretty rich top 4 by CONCACAF standards.  Barring the MLS teams moving to CPL in the short term, it will be a while before the league has that sort of financial clout.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

FWIW, I took the top 4 teams and looked them up on transfermarket. 

CS Cartagines - $4.5M

Limon FC - $3.24M

LD Alajuelense - $4.5M

Saprissa - $4.3M

So Saprissa isn’t a unique outlier.  They are definitely one of the elite, but that is a pretty rich top 4 by CONCACAF standards.  Barring the MLS teams moving to CPL in the short term, it will be a while before the league has that sort of financial clout.  

Before the pandemic York 9s roster was worth around 4 million on transfermarket I believe.