CPL Players' Union

39 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Carducci gets a three year contract on the day the union appears to be on the way to an agreement.  

I remember when the MLS players first attempted to form a union, many never played another game in the league including at least one Canadian.

Geoff Aunger?

If you are determined to restore the frame where a CanPL good MLS bad nationalist narrative is concerned I think it's actually Iain Fraser that deserves the spotlight on that more than Geoff Aunger. In real life away from simplistic  nationalist narratives we live with a capitalist free enterprise system where those with the money and property don't tend to be keen on organized labour regardless of what flag is involved. Hence why ownership-player relations very quickly soured in a CanPL context. It's a tension that is always going to be there.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

We need a drinking game, every time someone says nationalist, we all take a drink.  

The game shall call for a half shot of tequila whenever he says 'bus league', a full shot if he references the Easton Report. A half shot of Jack Daniels is required whenever he accuses somebody of being a 'nationalist', and a full shot whenever he accuses somebody of pushing a CanPL vs MLS agenda. When he tells you that he grew up in Scotland in a condescending "I'm more credible than you" way, you must chug a pint of McEwan's Lager. The game will be called BBTB/OTP is a Fuckwit.

18 hours ago, Ansem said:

I should have posted here. It's happening

Fantastic news! I wondered if the 30% pay increase might have been a condition that PFA demanded before coming to a final agreement on representation. I know this doesn't confirm that one way or the other, but seeing things improve like this between the players and the league is such a great development. 

And a question for those who know more on this than I do: Was PFA intending to represent solely CPL players, or all professional footballers from Canada in their discussions with the CSA too? I'm wondering what level of involvement they may or may not have with the proposed women's league and its eventual players. 

Edited by m-g-williams

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If you are determined to restore the frame where a CanPL good MLS bad nationalist narrative is concerned I think it's actually Iain Fraser that deserves the spotlight on that more than Geoff Aunger. In real life away from simplistic  nationalist narratives we live with a capitalist free enterprise system where those with the money and property don't tend to be keen on organized labour regardless of what flag is involved. Hence why ownership-player relations very quickly soured in a CanPL context. It's a tension that is always going to be there.

You have me in the wrong category in the CanPL good / MLS bad narrative. I follow the MLS teams, I go to games (Montreal and Toronto).  I think the majority on here are like that.   We just support a Canadian league that has created a "filter" system and another development path for Canadian soccer and gives an opportunity to many Canadians.

and thanks for the correction on Fraser, I remembered that it was a New England player and someone mentioned Aunger, I figured it was him.   It took MLS 8 years to get a union, so yes CPL is better then MLS😎

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

5 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Fantastic news! I wondered if the 30% pay increase might have been a condition that PFA demanded before coming to a final agreement on representation. I know this doesn't confirm that one way or the other, but seeing things improve like this between the players and the league is such a great development. 

And a question for those who know more on this than I do: Was PFA intending to represent solely CPL players, or all professional footballers from Canada in their discussions with the CSA too? I'm wondering what level of involvement they may or may not have with the proposed women's league and its eventual players. 

-30% increase didn't have anything to do with the agreement to initiate a formal vote to determine union certification, but arguably due to the consistent pressure PFA has put on CPL
-PFA intends to represent the interests of all footballers (hence it's work around abuse of women footballers, inclusion of non-CPL players on board etc.) But in terms of collective bargaining, it is limited to CPL for now, given CanMNT and CanXNT/WNT players formed their own unions in relation to CSA, and MLSPA/USLPA exists for Canadians in those leagues. Note: PFACan has a collaboration agreement with the XNT/WNT union, and has closer relationships with MLSPA/USLPA

On 12/10/2022 at 11:30 AM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

-30% increase didn't have anything to do with the agreement to initiate a formal vote to determine union certification, but arguably due to the consistent pressure PFA has put on CPL
-PFA intends to represent the interests of all footballers (hence it's work around abuse of women footballers, inclusion of non-CPL players on board etc.) But in terms of collective bargaining, it is limited to CPL for now, given CanMNT and CanXNT/WNT players formed their own unions in relation to CSA, and MLSPA/USLPA exists for Canadians in those leagues. Note: PFACan has a collaboration agreement with the XNT/WNT union, and has closer relationships with MLSPA/USLPA

Excuse my ignorance. Is CanXNT a synonym for CanWNT? Or is it something else?

Think it revolves around the issue of accomodating transgender athletes in some way but haven't really been paying attention having grown up in a time when men were men, women were women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri and not really understanding what all the fuss is all about. Whatever keeps them happy basically and time for another pan-galactic gargleblaster.

23 minutes ago, Shway said:

Great progress! 
Can't wait to see what they agree too. The goal is to be comparable or better than the USL.

I think with the recent revelations of the CSB earnings, it was hard to say no.

We should recognized that we did it much faster than US leagues and we will be #3 in this region within 5 years

16 hours ago, Shway said:

...I think with the recent revelations of the CSB earnings, it was hard to say no.

The CSB deal with the CSA is no different now than what it was in 2019. Suspect the calculation was that the players were determined enough to go through the ratification process, so fighting that was not only going to be expensive but ultimately futile.