CPL Players' Union

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Thanks for that.

I was actually thinking about that too.

Some players are actually being exposed as not good enough for the CPL. Yet anytime one of them retires the trope is that they league doesn't pay enough.

I want the salaries to increase too. But that will also mean some current players may be pushed out by better players who finally decide to come back.

Exactly. Perhaps the players are acting in good-faith and only want the union so that they have a voice on issues - that I can respect. What I can't respect is the collective bargaining for higher wages at this stage. 

I see a lot of this "living wage" stuff. The Canadian Premier League is a league for dream chasers. No one is entitled to a living wage whilst chasing their dream. Let's not act as if the clubs aren't providing the players with the basic necessities to be professional athletes either. 

You can move to other leagues if you don't like what's on offer - and that is the entire point of this league. Move on and up. These teams didn't just pop up so that a number of Canadians who were playing for free could suddenly earn $40k+ a year playing footy in their hometowns. And if (hopefully when) those wages do pop up those same guys are going to be out of a job because there will be higher quality players replacing them. 

If you're 17-19 and earning $20k while living at home you're not doing too bad at all and you have a great opportunity to develop and move up. That's what this is about. This is like the CHL. 

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I see a lot of this "living wage" stuff. The Canadian Premier League is a league for dream chasers. No one is entitled to a living wage whilst chasing their dream. Let's not act as if the clubs aren't providing the players with the basic necessities to be professional athletes either. 

Read, the Athletic article, in which the clubs are actually not even providing the basic necessities to be professional athletes. Player treatments such as massages and chiropractors for managing/recovering from injuries are not being covered by the league. Players are forced to either pay for them out of pocket or go without, and on the wages their making the players are choosing to go without.

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If you're 17-19 and earning $20k while living at home you're not doing too bad at all and you have a great opportunity to develop and move up. That's what this is about. This is like the CHL. 

I do not think the common age of the CPL is 17-19.  Further, I do not think that the CPL is aiming to be the CHL - that's what the League 1s are for. Rather, the CPL is looking to be more like the AHL - no one is getting rich, but finances aren't a concern either.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Read, the Athletic article, in which the clubs are actually not even providing the basic necessities to be professional athletes. Player treatments such as massages and chiropractors for managing/recovering from injuries are not being covered by the league. Players are forced to either pay for them out of pocket or go without, and on the wages their making the players are choosing to go without.

I do not think the common age of the CPL is 17-19.  Further, I do not think that the CPL is aiming to be the CHL - that's what the League 1s are for. Rather, the CPL is looking to be more like the AHL - no one is getting rich, but finances aren't a concern either.

Don't bother even trying with that guy, he'd be a slave owner if it were legal. 

15 hours ago, Watchmen said:

...I do not think the common age of the CPL is 17-19.  Further, I do not think that the CPL is aiming to be the CHL...

They wanted D1 status and made a huge fuss about it in marketing terms pre-launch but they were never likely to be able to actually deliver what you would normally expect from a national D1 league (living wage so players can make a career out of it into their mid-30s and potentially be a factor in CMNT terms) because of the financial and logistical challenges that a European style single table coast-to-coast pro league format imposes.

That sort of league would have happened already a long time ago if it were in any way easy to do in a soccer context. Woe betide anyone who suggested on here that they should work in cooperation with the three MLS franchises rather than at cross-purposes given that backdrop. Bizarrely you get accused of wanting the league to fail when what you are actually doing is pointing out courses of action that would help to avoid that outcome.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Canada's Division 1 Canadian Premier League was never going to drop in with high salaries and budgets, which would have been as much a failure eventually as taking the easy way out by dumbing down standards and allowing MLS farm/reserve teams in the league for a quick boost of club numbers.

CPL realized they have to start small and grow just like the USA's MLS did from its early days. Over the coming years the league will grow and gain greater stature also like MLS. Smart, slow and steady growth is what the league and players need.

In reality, MLS started with big ambitions in NFL and large college stadia and soon lost most of its original I/Os with Phil Anshutz having to take over most of the teams to keep the league afloat. It very nearly folded about 5 years in.

If you went back a few years to well before the launch, the rhetoric surrounding CanPL was of a league aligned closely with the CFL with a $1.5 million player salary budget for each team and crowds in the 6000-8000 range.

I received a barrage of abuse and ridicule on here when I started posting about Reddit rumours in the months preceding the first season that revealed that the cap would be a lot lower than that as has subsequently proven to be the case. The earlier rhetoric had always been on a collision course with reality.

Your numbers just keep getting higher and higher.  In a year you'll be saying.."common belief around here was a salary of 2mil and crowds in the 10,000 range"  And dont forget to add the woes is me "i got barrages of abuse" martyr complex baloney..havnt heard that today from you, its good to get it in daily.  No one knew what the league was going to be 2 years before launch and everyone was speculating....about everything.  Seems to me you were speculating there would, or should be several MLS reserve sides/farm clubs...how did those predictions turn out??  Most people hoped for bigger everything, bigger crowds, bigger budgets, more teams etc.  Just like most of us still hope things will be better next year.  Most of us anyways....

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I don't lose any sleep over people who can't tolerate opinions that differ from their own on a soccer forum

You may claim this but your own posts beg to differ. 

You won't shut up about it so obviously it has an affect on you.

Often times bringing it up totally unprovoked 

Edited by narduch

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

You may claim this but your own posts beg to differ. 

You won't shut up about it so obviously it has an affect on you.

Often times bringing it up totally unprovoked 

All I am doing is pointing out just how delusional a lot of the rhetoric that surrounded the league pre-launch was. York 9 were talking about building a 12,000 seat soccer specific stadium. I was far from the only one on here posting about how they would be lucky to reach four figures in terms of a core home support. 

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

All I am doing is pointing out just how delusional a lot of the rhetoric that surrounded the league pre-launch was. York 9 were talking about building a 12,000 seat soccer specific stadium. I was far from the only one on here posting about how they would be lucky to reach four figures in terms of a core home support. 

It's one thing to point it out and another to continually be a condescending dick about it.

One thing that is true is you continue to be wrong about the MLS reserve side angle. Thank god they didn't go for that 

So do other people post almost daily that you were wrong/delusional about us needing to stay under the american umbrella and we should be including MLS reserve clubs??  Does anyone else bring up the "abuse" they suffered from differing opinions when all the wild speculation was going on years before the league started??  

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So do other people post almost daily that you were wrong/delusional about us needing to stay under the american umbrella and we should be including MLS reserve clubs??  Does anyone else bring up the "abuse" they suffered from differing opinions when all the wild speculation was going on years before the league started??  

Imagine watching the past 3 CPL seasons unfolding and still holding the belief that this league needs MLS reserve teams

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Oh geez, you called him a dick.   He'll piss and moan about that for the next 3 years. Oh my....where are my pearls...they need clutching badly!!!  

^^^it is a complete falsehood when this guy states that I advocated including "MLS reserve clubs". What I suggested was that there could be affiliated clubs with independent branding that the MLS clubs could farm out a lot of their academy players to. Cooperating together in a mutually beneficial manner rather than what we are probably going to see in the not too distant future of having 50 or so top young Canadian homegrown academy prospects in the new MLS U-23 setup rather than CanPL.

Just now, Bison44 said:

Farm clubs.....much better.  Dont worry as soon as the MLS reserve league is up you can go to their forum and make snide comments about their attendance, stadium, roster rules etc.  Because you are so fair and even handed.  

Nobody will pay attention to the MLS Reserve league. Just like nobody paid attention to TFC II.

Over/under on MLS new reserve league lasting more than 5 years? I'm taking the under.