2020 U-20 World Cup Qualifying

narduch

If I'm reading the information on the Wikipedia page correctly, it looks like Canada will need to beat the US in the semi-final to qualify for the U-20 Women's World Cup. Four spots are available for CONCACAF members, and Costa Rica and Panama get two of them as co-hosts. Only the semi-final winners qualify and the US and Canada are on the same side of the bracket.

Edited by Treppy2

1 hour ago, Treppy2 said:

If I'm reading the information on the Wikipedia page correctly, it looks like Canada will need to beat the US in the semi-final to qualify for the U-20 Women's World Cup. Four spots are available for CONCACAF members, and Costa Rica and Panama get two of them as co-hosts. Only the semi-final winners qualify and the US and Canada are on the same side of the bracket.

They decided to place Mexico separed from the USA for being the ones who played the final of the 2018 tournament. Bad Luck for Canada that was fourth behind Haiti. 

And with only two places available the thing does not look good for Canada. Will Canada have the ability to defeat the USA in the SF? It is the great mystery...

5 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

It is the great mystery...

Will we even get there?

Our roster is weak; key players have been left out.

Remember last time when we left out Fleming and Rose?

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/75879-2018-concacaf-womens-u-20-championship/page/5/

I can't say I am optimistic.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Will we even get there?

Our roster is weak; key players have been left out.

Remember last time when we left out Fleming and Rose?

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/75879-2018-concacaf-womens-u-20-championship/page/5/

I can't say I am optimistic.

I'll be shocked if they qualify for this World Cup. 

I gather the CSA views the youth teams first as player development while winning is second. But given the situation for this qualifying, this will prove to be a good test for even seasoned players.

So, I understand why Huitema isn't there but Grosso & Riviere should still benefit from playing given they have more recently just cracked the senior team. Plus, Grosso would benefit from starting. 

Also wondering why Olivia Smith was invited to senior team camp before being cut but not on this u20 team. Canada's youth player of the year not selected for youth team.

On 2/14/2020 at 3:18 PM, red card said:

I gather the CSA views the youth teams first as player development while winning is second. But given the situation for this qualifying, this will prove to be a good test for even seasoned players.

So, I understand why Huitema isn't there but Grosso & Riviere should still benefit from playing given they have more recently just cracked the senior team. Plus, Grosso would benefit from starting. 

Also wondering why Olivia Smith was invited to senior team camp before being cut but not on this u20 team. Canada's youth player of the year not selected for youth team.

I was also wondering why OS was left off the roster but I think I read somewhere that the Canada Coaches wanted her to focus on an upcoming u-17 tournament ( and I presume not miss too much school - but I can't find a link to the article and my memory is very shoddy).

They picked up the tempo today vs the passive aggressive style used against ES. But so far, there is no one of quality offensively that can unlock teams laying back. A fully fresh rotated team couldn't beat a team who used the same lineup from Saturday.

Individually, only the 2 keepers and Rose are of senior team quality. The rest have been your typical run of the mill Canadian youth female players - uncoordinated, bad first touches, low football iq, badly mistimed tackles, can't beat players one on one, poor dribblers, weak kicks and low energy.

Collectively, yes they have rotated the players, but given they all play the same system, they have looked disjointed. 

That being said, ES & Guatemala have improved. Goalkeeping hasn't been a major liability. They look more organized. Their first touches have been better than Canada. You also see they have inately have a better understanding on how to play football better than Canada. And Guatemala's captain could make Canada's team. 

Edited by red card

Same as previous two matches except Canada got exposed defensively. Canada controlled the play again but lack of creativity in midfield, no fullbacks that can attack and feeble shots or headers means no goals ex a fluky one.

The days of Canada scoring due to bad goalkeeping, poor fitness levels and being unathletic are over. These 3 teams Canada played now have a number of US/Cdn born/raised players along with a number going to US colleges. So, they finally at least play at a basic level of football.

This Canada team has about 11 players from the 4th place WC u17 team. But it's missing the key attacking players: Huitema, Riviere & De Filippo. In the back, Maya Antoine who was a best 11 at Concacaf u20 qualifying is not on the team. The u17 midfield wasn't that great, so even though they're all basically on the u20 team, they're again not delivering. And none of the new adds have shown any quality close to the players missing.