Does Brexit revert EPL Back to teams only carrying 3 Imports

snake

14 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Isn't the work permit requirement an immigration requirement? We've all had a great transfer scuttled while managing AFC Wimbledon by a work permit denial, am I right?

There are two ways to limit imports on a team:

1. A league decision (ie MLS), or;
  2. Government policy.

England likes to see itself as the best league where the best in the world play. Restrict work permits tomorrow and at least half the Premier League would not be able to field a team on the weekend. No league or government in England that wants to retain the support of the football community in general would restrict work permits to three per team.

I believe they have some exemption for players from countries in FIFA top 50? Remember the Jaime Peters saga? I think he had his work permit denied on his first go with Ispwich. 

I'm very certain there is a work permit requirement for foreign footballers in England. Here's an article:

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/footballer-work-permits/

^ It's like you are not even trying.

Read the topic title again.

It asks about a limit of 3 per team because of BREXIT.

And the response remains, WTF makes you think BREXIT will have ANY effect on the limits to foreign players?!?!?

Why on EARTH would they go back to the bad old days of such tight restrictions when the league makes Billions of pounds every year from people watching Italians, Belgians, Germans, Dutch, Brazilians, Nigerians, etc playing for English teams.?!?!?

Literally NO ONE wants such a limit.

What? We have to talk about the title of the thread? When did this become a rule? 

I wasn't aware that England ever had a 3 import rule. I don't think their current work permit system will change and it will apply to France, Belgium and Germany. And those players in the EPL will all get out of it because of the broad exclusions. I do think you'll see fewer Europeans in the lower divisions however. And that's probably good for English football.

18 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

What? We have to talk about the title of the thread? When did this become a rule?

Not really, but if I am disputing the the thesis of the thread, anything you say in response to me has to be read as relating to the topic at hand. ;)

On 2/7/2020 at 9:56 AM, youllneverwalkalone said:

I am in full agreement that there won't be a 3 import rule. Pretty sure there never was, but anyone else please chime in if I'm wrong.

At one time foreign players were almost unheard of in English Football but I have no idea if there was ever a limit. In the 70's I believe that signing a foreigner was front-page news and somewhat unusual but by the 1980's it was pretty commonplace.

There have been lots of restrictions on non-EU players which made it difficult for Canadians who did not qualify for a British Passport. That was when we first started following the FIFA rankings seriously as part of the qualification to get a work permit in Europe was that your nation had to rank above a certain number and we were always too close to that line for comfort.

But now I'm digressing. ;)