Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Senorpopps

Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

Recommended Posts

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-deep-dive-how-a-steak-fish-dinner-in-madrid-led-to-the-launch-of-atletico-ottawa

Article on the CPL site on how the deal with Atlético was brokered. 

One of the tidbits we did not know was that the CPL started to throw out possible locations for a club, and they mention BC, Saskatchewan, Quebec and even Toronto. This latter detail is a surprise, but suggests that the league is really thinking that the GTA could absorb another CPL club.

The other bit that clears a few things up is that only after Fury folded did they come up with the idea to have Atlético fill the void, and to do it this year, not next. So that in principle rules out some of the speculation here about how the deal was really worked. Seems they moved very quickly after those events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

 

One of the tidbits we did not know was that the CPL started to throw out possible locations for a club, and they mention BC, Saskatchewan, Quebec and even Toronto. This latter detail is a surprise, but suggests that the league is really thinking that the GTA could absorb another CPL club.


A Toronto club backed by foreign ownership of another massive worldwide club would be a safe way for the league to enter Toronto proper. Clubs like United, Roma, Arsenal etc. are used to sharing the city and they would have the financial backing to go into the largest market in the country against an established club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-deep-dive-how-a-steak-fish-dinner-in-madrid-led-to-the-launch-of-atletico-ottawa

Article on the CPL site on how the deal with Atlético was brokered. 

One of the tidbits we did not know was that the CPL started to throw out possible locations for a club, and they mention BC, Saskatchewan, Quebec and even Toronto. This latter detail is a surprise, but suggests that the league is really thinking that the GTA could absorb another CPL club.

The other bit that clears a few things up is that only after Fury folded did they come up with the idea to have Atlético fill the void, and to do it this year, not next. So that in principle rules out some of the speculation here about how the deal was really worked. Seems they moved very quickly after those events.

Toronto will be interesting as I am sure at some point, I can almost guarantee that a group will emerge thinking they can make a go of it in Toronto proper. The CPL will have to be smart on this front as group without the resources, expertise etc could be a disaster regardless of their finances. Soccer is filled with fly by night, under financed owner types. also Toronto is already filled with sports and entertainment. The Wolfpack are the perfect example of a team that has found its niche and have done quite well early on with their attendance with a sport in rugby league that was complete unknown in this country. So much is going on in the summers and as I always say the under estimated competition of the cottage and the power it has with our relative short summers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 9:44 AM, BuzzAndSting said:

Check FuryFanatic’s new Twitter feed, @ottleti (?), there’s one or more people who’ve created multiple troll accounts mimicking him and SMR and accusing them of bullying when it looks like the troll account who is the bully. Everything is hashtaged CanPL so if you go back to last evening you’ll see. Also that guy “from above” has jumped in and gone after everyone, he’s using @AtleticoOttawa, which isn’t a good look for the new club.

Can anyone in Ottawa give a quick rundown on what the deal is with these two SG's? I'm considering joining one, but based on the kind of behaviour and personalities I've seen online, no one's jumping to the front of the line... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Can anyone in Ottawa give a quick rundown on what the deal is with these two SG's? I'm considering joining one, but based on the kind of behaviour and personalities I've seen online, no one's jumping to the front of the line... 

I’m not part of either but I do know a bunch of the people from the  Bytown Boys and there all great. Always welcoming and friendly. I don’t know anyone from SMR.

There are hardcore Canadian soccer nerds who aren’t huge into the supporter culture if that’s more your thing, send me a message and maybe we can meet up.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, grigorio said:

Can anyone in Ottawa give a quick rundown on what the deal is with these two SG's? I'm considering joining one, but based on the kind of behaviour and personalities I've seen online, no one's jumping to the front of the line... 

I would put it down to some strong personalities with strong opinions about CPL vs OSEG and even club vs country.  That bad blood still carries over it seems.  It may not even involve people who associate themselves with a particular SG.  
Next time I run into you, I can give you more of what I know.  But I’ve decided to stay out of it cause there’s footy to be watched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Looks like quality signing that. Almost a surprise he would come. He has been getting games and playing well in top tier Costa Rica. Great start if true.

My thoughts exactly but this move would have to be attractive to him.  Coming to a La Liga affiliated club in Canada he'll differentiate himself a lot more than if he stayed in Costa Rica and this could make it an easier move to MLS or Europe in the future. 

The signings this off season have really impressed league-wide so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

My thoughts exactly but this move would have to be attractive to him.  Coming to a La Liga affiliated club in Canada he'll differentiate himself a lot more than if he stayed in Costa Rica and this could make it an easier move to MLS or Europe in the future. 

The signings this off season have really impressed league-wide so far.

This looks like someone Atlético San Luis has been scouting and who they want to get on the books without signing him for Liga MX quite yet. I had never thought they'd do this, but it is an interesting idea and gives you an idea of the reach of Atlético. 

Suggesting they don't have to bring their own players from u-19s or the reserve squad or San Luis, they could bring in players who are not yet in the Atlético system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So jealous of these young soccer playing kids here in Canada today and the options they have. Better coaching, Academies , MLS Academies, league 1 Ontario type development leagues, play in CPL and then hopefully go on to Europe or MLS or higher leagues. Back in the day there was nothing nada no future , you played youth soccer and that was it lol. Moreover, Athletico bloody Madrid wow , you make Atlético Ottawa you play really well and Atlético Madrid will notice don’t fool yourself and a kid could be in La Liga you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

So jealous of these young soccer playing kids here in Canada today and the options they have

Don't remind me. I remember being told to wear ankle weights during practice when playing defense so that I would be able to kick the ball further when I already had the furthest kick on the team...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The full schedule has been released.

Really unbalanced schedule in terms of home games. Only 5 of their first 17 games are at home (April through July). Then 9 of their final 11 games are at home (August through October).

 

Edited by sloth8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sloth8 said:

The full schedule has been released.

Really unbalanced schedule in terms of home games. Only 5 of their first 17 games are at home (April through July). Then 9 of their final 11 games are at home (August through October).

 

Championship push at home 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...