Senorpopps

Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

Yeah I think a slow build to normalcy could be potentially devastating. If restrictions are lifted carte blanche this spring or early summer then the CanPL will likely be fine.

But if restrictions are eased on some activities but not others; with sports being eliminated for the summer....watch out.

4 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Yeah I think a slow build to normalcy could be potentially devastating. If restrictions are lifted carte blanche this spring or early summer then the CanPL will likely be fine.

But if restrictions are eased on some activities but not others; with sports being eliminated for the summer....watch out.

I was listening to a Scottish football podcast and the panelists (mostly ex-professional footballers/managers) believe that the June EURO 2020 qualifier against Israel is unlikely.  I am hoping for an around Canada Day start; anything earlier would be a pleasant surprise, IMO.

I know the CPL and CFL are unique in being all Canadian leagues, wonder if the government will let them start even if say MLS, MLB , NBA etc are not playing due to what is going on in the US. The communal aspect to this makes it hard as I really can not see them allowing large gatherings if their is a chance of spread, even if its quite small at the time. I guess the CPL could if they were allowed could play a chunk of the season at least early on behind closed doors. Even if allowed would they proceed along the route considering financial losses.

51 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I was listening to a Scottish football podcast and the panelists (mostly ex-professional footballers/managers) believe that the June EURO 2020 qualifier against Israel is unlikely.  I am hoping for an around Canada Day start; anything earlier would be a pleasant surprise, IMO.

Echo that.  Was thinking at some point in June, so long as things don't go too badly up here. 

Not sure how the economy rebounds after all this is said and done.  It's not as though bad weather has forced people indoors creating pent up demand for down the road.  Millions of paychecks have disappeared and tens of millions more will be a lot lighter for a while.  Think the entertainment budget in a lot (most) households is shrinking by the hour. 

I agree with Cheeta.

The problem I can see will be twofold:

1.  Entertainment dollars available per household could be limited as families recover from weeks/months of either no or limited wages/salary/EI

2.  With pretty much EVERY sport looking to either catch up or reboot a season there will be way too many options for people to choose from.  CPL might get a bit lost in the shuffle.

GWS

5 hours ago, Cblake said:

I know the CPL and CFL are unique in being all Canadian leagues, wonder if the government will let them start even if say MLS, MLB , NBA etc are not playing due to what is going on in the US. The communal aspect to this makes it hard as I really can not see them allowing large gatherings if their is a chance of spread, even if its quite small at the time. I guess the CPL could if they were allowed could play a chunk of the season at least early on behind closed doors. Even if allowed would they proceed along the route considering financial losses.

I think they might play behind closed doors if they are able to take advantage of the all-Canadian aspect of it - the NHL, for instance, you're risking bringing things across borders and obviously the US is a shitshow. But here, if we have a decent handle on things, why not get started behind closed doors, you're only moving ~20 people around, there'd only need to be ~50 at the game. And if they + health officials believe it's okay to do that, they can really take advantage of being the only live sport on TV (you can bet they'd have interest from TSN, Sportsnet, CBC, etc to get a piece of that) which would absolutely help the teams and league in the long run.

*But* all of that is obviously dependent on Canada having a better handle on things than other countries.

13 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Very good point about the border. International travel may not come back for a while

Whitecaps, TFC, Impact dun, dun, dun

Expanded Voyageurs Cup anyone?

This whole coronavirus thing may be a good avenue to force them to play in the CPL for the time being

Posted (edited)

More news from Athlético: https://ottawasun.com/sports/soccer/with-cpl-season-on-hold-atletico-ottawa-players-reaching-out-to-fans       I haven't received a call to date:

"Atletico players, who returned early from a training camp in Spain on Monday, have been in self-isolation, but that hasn’t stopped them from making phone calls to people who are on a list of 550 account holders who made an initial deposit to hold season tickets. Atletico Ottawa is going into its first season in the CPL."

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

What I am curious about is the two signees who will be on At Madrid level salaries. I am not sure if this could be one, hard to say. Maybe they think, the Spanish season is shot and it might be better to get players ready to start in Canada in June or July.

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Ottawa on CPL Centre Circle App now (once you update).

The Centre Circle app keeps crashing as soon as it launches! I deleted it and reinstalled, but it still won’t stay open. Any tips? 

9 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

The Centre Circle app keeps crashing as soon as it launches! I deleted it and reinstalled, but it still won’t stay open. Any tips? 

I think there’s another update.