Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

All the ATK Spanish players are in their 30s, so would be a departure from the majority of international CanPL signings being U23.

Boy, that feels out of alignment with what the goals of the league are.  I understand needing some veterans, but I'm not sure this is the type of move you really want from a league focused on development.

27 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Boy, that feels out of alignment with what the goals of the league are.  I understand needing some veterans, but I'm not sure this is the type of move you really want from a league focused on development.

I don't give a crap about signing U23 internationals. The league should be focused on developing CANADIANS.

Hell, If I was in charge I'd mandate 25 as the minimum age for internationals and require that they have played for their national team in the last two years. I want seasoned veterans to teach our U20 's.

9 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

All the ATK Spanish players are in their 30s, so would be a departure from the majority of international CanPL signings being U23.

Not all, Victor Mongil is 27 and also happens to be amongst the few (only?) who played for the Atlético reserve team, was in their organisation.

I don't know any of the current players, a few who have left and are older I have seen play, like Manu Lanzarote and Kalu Uche.

Sergio Castel is a 25 year old on loan directly from Atlético B to Jamshedpur, the loan officially ends 30 June. He started the season scoring and then got injured, and is now just coming back. I would think he might go to Ottawa, he's the only player they have in India who is still part of their system.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

So it's worth remembering that ATK is no longer part owned by Atletico and it has been said elsewhere that they now work with Jamshedpur. I don't know if this is true, but Jamshedpur had 6 Spaniards (and 1 Brazilian) including one on loan from Atletico B, as mentioned below, while they also have a 28 year old left back, Tiri, who joined Atletico B in 2012, went to ATK in 2015, back to B on loan for a few months in 2016, then spent half a year with Marbella FC before joining Jamshedpur.

It's also worth noting that none of the Spanish ATK players joined from Atletico. In fact, I think only one, Mongil (also mentioned below) played for Atletico, though he left them in 2014.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not all, Victor Mongil is 27 and also happens to be amongst the few (only?) who played for the Atlético reserve team, was in their organisation.

I don't know any of the current players, a few who have left and are older I have seen play, like Manu Lanzarote and Kalu Uche.

Sergio Castel is a 25 year old on loan directly from Atlético B to Jamshedpur, the loan officially ends 30 June. He started the season scoring and then got injured, and is now just coming back. I would think he might go to Ottawa, he's the only player they have in India who is still part of their system.

Speaking of Castel...

12 hours ago, ted said:

I don't give a crap about signing U23 internationals. The league should be focused on developing CANADIANS.

Hell, If I was in charge I'd mandate 25 as the minimum age for internationals and require that they have played for their national team in the last two years. I want seasoned veterans to teach our U20 's.

I agree, except that I'd like our clubs to sell on some of these foreigners to help pay for youth infrastructure. 

11 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I agree, except that I'd like our clubs to sell on some of these foreigners to help pay for youth infrastructure. 

This. I hope we stick to this rather than the early MLS DP over the hill club. It's a different strategy. Eyes on the league and clubs that name signings bring is good but the potentially sell on value of some of these u23 players, foreign or not, is much better imo.  

I'd much rather we were a where stars are born opposed to a where stars come to die league. Obviously presumptuous on both of those things ever happening but I'm ok with the former strategy as it will help build the resources for our clubs and future Canadian talent to grow and thrive.

Edited by toontownman

15 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Why would Tissot have cancelled his Calgary contract before actually signing with Ottawa?

I guess maybe he signed a pre-contract or full contract with cavalry after fury died. Then since he found out about Ottawa in CPL he is finding a way to return to ottawa?

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 2:55 PM, MM3/MM2/MM said:

If I was Atlético I would sign Andre Bona, very impressed with him in the few games I saw, live in Voyageurs Cup game in Ottawa and a few times on Onesoccer.   If they get accepted in the Voyageurs Cup they should add Skublak and Kourouma 😎

He told me he would like to sign in Ottawa. The problem is that he counts as an itnernational player since is PR isnt fixed.

7 minutes ago, mtlsab said:

He told me he would like to sign in Ottawa. The problem is that he counts as an itnernational player since is PR isnt fixed.

Really, thats crazy and might be a factor in him leaving Halifax? I am totally with @MM3/MM2/MM I thought Bona showed really well and I was disappointed he didn't stay. He has been in Canada since 2014 so it has to be close. 

12 minutes ago, mtlsab said:

Didn't he count as domestic with HFX last season?  they had the maximum of 7 internationals and Bona wasn't one of them.

Edit - never mind, he was a U-sport draft pick which gave him domestic status.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM