Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Ottawa CPL Team Name

Ottawa CPL Team Name  

79 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What should the Ottawa CPL team be called?

• Ottawa Fury FC
    • Ottawa FC
    • Ottawa City FC
    • Ottawa Athletic FC
    • Athletic Ottawa FC
    • Athletic FC
    • Capital City FC
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/14/2020 at 11:03 AM

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I don't think that's the team name. It's the name of the company operating the team

Seems odd they would name the company Atletico Canadians FC and then presumably name the team Atletico “blah blah blah” FC.

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As posted on Reddit....

xacrs84k2zc41.jpg

What would also be interesting about that if it's connected to Atletico Madrid and CanPL is that the Fury's announcement that they were going into a hiatus didn't happen until 2020-11-08.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

42 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What would also be interesting about that if it's connected to Atletico Madrid and CanPL is that the Fury's announcement that they were going into a hiatus didn't happen until 2020-11-08.

I have been speculating on this for a while, with few takers. The question was if the sequence was in fact, Fury quit and announce, Atlético steps in; or if as Fury mused, Mediapro and Atletico stepped in and helped ease the decision. Even paying the existing ownership to step aside or even do so leaving admin structure and even player contracts in place.

If it wasn't for the bitter tone of John Pugh and JdG's emotional reaction during the press conference the evidence such as the rapid sale of the franchise rights to FC Miami would point strongly to the latter, but I guess it's possible that the OSEG partnership were split internally on what to do next, which is why it's only the Ottawa 67s owner as the local partner with Atletico Madrid. 

Just noticed this thread. Saw it once above as well, my entry would be,

Club Athlétique d'Ottawa

Follows the Club Atlético de Madrid format, but in French to respect the (mostly) bilingual nature of the city/region. Especially since yep there is that whole trademark issue with the Ottawa Athletic Club, which woulda been a cool name for sure.

Atletico Madrid was originally set up back in the day as an extension of Athletic Bilbao btw, so I'm sure the Atleti owners wouldn't have minded Ottawa Athletic too much :) 

Honestly though, as long as the name of the club has the name of the city or the region in it, it's a win. This league, lol. 

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

Just noticed this thread. Saw it once above as well, my entry would be,

Club Athlétique d'Ottawa

Follows the Club Atlético de Madrid format, but in French to respect the (mostly) bilingual nature of the city/region. Especially since yep there is that whole trademark issue with the Ottawa Athletic Club, which woulda been a cool name for sure.

Atletico Madrid was originally set up back in the day as an extension of Athletic Bilbao btw, so I'm sure the Atleti owners wouldn't have minded Ottawa Athletic too much :) 

Honestly though, as long as the name of the club has the name of the city or the region in it, it's a win. This league, lol. 

You are right about the Athletic Bilbao connection in the early 20th century, but as we've already suggested here, they would probably want to avoid that reference now--since it would point to another club altogether.