Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Ottawa CPL Team Name

Ottawa CPL Team Name  

79 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What should the Ottawa CPL team be called?

• Ottawa Fury FC
    • Ottawa FC
    • Ottawa City FC
    • Ottawa Athletic FC
    • Athletic Ottawa FC
    • Athletic FC
    • Capital City FC
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/14/2020 at 11:03 AM

54 minutes ago, Lofty said:

...But maybe the casual Canadian football fans are more knowledgeable about Spanish football than I am, ...@toontownman

Most people who are actively involved in soccer in Canada will have heard of Atletico Madrid (please note the spelling and that of Athletic Bilbao) and will know that they are a huge club. Just as they will also have heard of Ajax, Benfica or Rangers. The whole world doesn't revolve around the English premiership and in a city like Ottawa marketing should be targetting people who already know and love the sport first. That was the lesson that MLS eventually learned when they moved out of their Wiz, Burn, Clash and NASL style shootouts to break a tie phase.

17 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

I like Ottawa Athletic 

Me too. The Atletico name was as i mentioned copied from English models, and in fact it was originally a branch of Athletic Bilbao which even kept the English spelling. Only question in that regard is that it might seem more closely branded to Bilbao than to Madrid. 

6 hours ago, Lofty said:

I guess this will just be one of those "agree to disagree" things. I'm far more than a casual fan but "Athletico Ottawa" would not make me think of Athletico Madrid. Maybe if I'm looking at red/white stripes and blue shorts it might. And the word "Athletico" certainly would not make me think of Athletico Madrid, so to me it is not a brand. But maybe the casual Canadian football fans are more knowledgeable about Spanish football than I am, which frankly wouldn't be hard. I appreciate @toontownman for taking the fall for not knowing Athletico Madrid are the third most famous Spanish team because I could have easily made the same mistake. Isn't there also an Athletico Bilbao? Are they part of the Athletico brand?

By the way, I'm also confident that if you talk about "United" in a football context, most English speaking fans, casual or otherwise, will just assume you mean Manchester United. You'd be hard pressed to find people who haven't heard of them -- unlike Athletico Madrid.

Fair points. 

So, I do follow La Liga a bit, and a few clarifications on brands. The team in Madrid calls itself Clube Atlético de Madrid, or just Atlético, or simply Atléti. That’s the Spanish spelling. The club in Bilbao uses the English spelling in the brand, Athletic Bilbao.

This is draining. I’m just going to wait for the countdown clock, if that’s what they’re doing this time. 

Edited by IAmPappy

I follow European soccer, especially champions league alot and until yesterday when someone mentioned it yesterday I didnt even realize it was AthleticO. If someone finds out Ottawa is owned by a Spanish club, they are either 1) going to be knowledgable about the situation to know it is Madrid or 2) have no idea who Bilboa or Madrid is and what the significance of an O at the end of athletic means.

3 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I follow European soccer, especially champions league alot and until yesterday when someone mentioned it yesterday I didnt even realize it was AthleticO. If someone finds out Ottawa is owned by a Spanish club, they are either 1) going to be knowledgable about the situation to know it is Madrid or 2) have no idea who Bilboa or Madrid is and what the significance of an O at the end of athletic means.

So, there’s a strong possibility that I’m being pedantic here, but it’s Atlético and it’s Bilbao. 

15 hours ago, Ansem said:

Exaggerating much? Most CASUAL football fan knows who Atletico is

Atletico who?

Personally, I would prefer Ottawa Royal Canadians, because then all us supporters could be ORCs.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:44 AM, narduch said:

The alleged name isn't the greatest. But I think a lot of us want to see this league succeed, so we are willing to live with things like that. 

It's still not as bad as York9 or Inter Miami. 

All of the team names in CPL are bad. If they end up going with Atletico Ottawa, that could still be one of the best 2 or 3 least bad names in the league.

I know that this thread is about Ottawa, but I’ll throw out a little challenge to everyone: Next time you’re tempted to criticize a team name, just throw in your own suggestion. Maybe one of these will get traction and eventually adopted by the poorly-baptized club. I encourage you to comment on your own club. I’ll start.

Valour FC -> Valour Winnipeg FC

Edited by IAmPappy

^ When the NHL returned to Winnipeg the franchise wasn't going to be nicknamed the Jets.  Was of course the overwhelming support for "Jets" which eventually produced 1st an eraser and then a pencil so there it is.

Point being that although time is short its surprising how quickly a little idea can turn into a brilliant strategy.  Like the nickname for a sports team.

15 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

^ When the NHL returned to Winnipeg the franchise wasn't going to be nicknamed the Jets.  Was of course the overwhelming support for "Jets" which eventually produced 1st an eraser and then a pencil so there it is.

Point being that although time is short its surprising how quickly a little idea can turn into a brilliant strategy.  Like the nickname for a sports team.

True, but unlike the other 7 teams, the project in Ottawa is part of a strategy we are not entirely party to. None of the rest had to really think about such considerations. 

If for Atlético Madrid, the presence of the original name is essential for justifying the investment, we have to take it. Better the team with Atletico Ottawa (which I admit has zero ring to it) than no team at all. 

I think they should go for a solution like Ottawa A's, which plays with "Ehs", suggested by another poster, and does in fact mean Athletics--but could also be Atléticos, or whatever, it is ambiguous linguistically. Not so good in French, admittedly. But gives you a lot to work with , apart from having that quirky Canadian in-joke along with it. 

Here is an Atlético shirt I saw today, it says Aupa Atleti, sort of deconstructed; the first word is similar to Viva (literally "aupar" means to boost or raise). Just to show how fans refer to the team colloquially. I make no comment on the colour scheme here.

AUPA ATLETI.jpg

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I listened to the CBC podcast "Under the Influence" this week which was about sports teams marketing efforts, and spent some time on team names. The point was that it doesn't matter what people outside of a market think of the name, it really only matters what people in-market think. So, Forge means something to people in Hamilton, Valour to those in Winnipeg. Doesn't matter what any of us think outside of those markets. For Ottawa, which name will resonate with locals is what's important. A reference that maybe only locals will get. The complicating factor is the Spanish connection, which may very well go with an "import" name.

Going slightly off-topic here: with all the commotion around a brand new team apparently on its way, I'm surprised people have only really been focusing on the name as the key part of the branding. Has anyone seen/developed any concept art for a logo? There was tons floating around before the big unveilings took place for the other teams. 

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

Going slightly off-topic here: with all the commotion around a brand new team apparently on its way, I'm surprised people have only really been focusing on the name as the key part of the branding. Has anyone seen/developed any concept art for a logo? There was tons floating around before the big unveilings took place for the other teams. 

On 1/16/2020 at 10:41 AM, m-g-williams said:

On the Odawa point, by no means am I suggesting unilaterally co-opting an Indigenous name. Any recognition/incorpation of the Indigenous history of the area would have to be done in consultation with the relevant Algonquin groups (thinking Kitigan Zibi). My job has actually seen me working exclusively on Indigenous files and meeting with FN, Inuit and Métis groups for the last four years, and I'm well aware of the sentiivities surrounding cultural appropriation. I just think this could be a good opportunity to engage on the matter and recognize the region's history/heritage more prominently. 

I know I'm a few days late on this, but didn't the Odawa live in areas that did not include present day Ottawa? Wouldn't it make more sense to go with something like Algonquin FC or Anishinaabe FC if they were going that route?

5 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

I know I'm a few days late on this, but didn't the Odawa live in areas that did not include present day Ottawa? Wouldn't it make more sense to go with something like Algonquin FC or Anishinaabe FC if they were going that route?

True, in fact. The Odawa were well to the west, mostly along Lake Erie, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, if I recall. My understanding is that the name "Ottawa" is derived from the Algonquin term "Odawa" not in reference to the people themselves ("the traders") further west, but in reference to the noun itself and the trade that was commonly conducted in the area due to the meeting of the Rideau and Ottawa rivers.

I always thought that bit of local history was worth acknowledging, though I certainly take your point on the potential geographic confusion.