Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Ottawa CPL Team Name

Ottawa CPL Team Name  

79 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What should the Ottawa CPL team be called?

• Ottawa Fury FC
    • Ottawa FC
    • Ottawa City FC
    • Ottawa Athletic FC
    • Athletic Ottawa FC
    • Athletic FC
    • Capital City FC
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/14/2020 at 11:03 AM

Since I don't know enough about any city to come up with names like "Valour", "Wanderers", "Forge", or "Cavalry", I figure it will just be a random word. So I found a random word generator to come up with my guess as to what the team name will be. I took the first one it generated, and the winner is...

Corpse FC

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

Since I don't know enough about any city to come up with names like "Valour", "Wanderers", "Forge", or "Cavalry", I figure it will just be a random word. So I found a random word generator to come up with my guess as to what the team name will be. I took the first one it generated, and the winner is...

Corpse FC

Nah, I suspect they will want to separate themselves from Fury branding.

(Sorry.  It is just a joke.  I don't hate Ottawa.)

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I actually would like Ottawa Athletic.  I think it’s a good name- the anglicized version of Athletico.  Why not?

"Athletic" is used by another club in laLiga. No way they'll using that.

Atlético Madrid: “Let’s acquire some properties around the world to strengthen our brand, and include ‘Atlético’ in all their names, but not in Ottawa, cause, you know, they have that whole French / English / Fury thing going, so yah ... ‘Ottawa Athletic’ it is then, just like our rivals in Bilbao”.

🤔

Any name should be in both French and English.

FR: Club Athletique d'Ottawa, EN: Ottawa Athletic Club, Nickname: Atletic-O

Would Peter Schaad do another launch vid to say how the team name has local roots and ties in with the local history? I'd like to see they would spin that. 

Edited by tovan1

1 hour ago, tovan1 said:

Any name should be in both French and English.

Although I would agree with you if this was a local (Canadian) ownership group, it ain’t gonna happen with a global brand. It’s gonna be ‘Atlético’ in every language.  

6 hours ago, Kent said:

Corpse FC

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that won't be it. 😁

3 hours ago, IAmPappy said:

Atlético Madrid: “Let’s acquire some properties around the world to strengthen our brand, and include ‘Atlético’ in all their names, but not in Ottawa, cause, you know, they have that whole French / English / Fury thing going, so yah ... ‘Ottawa Athletic’ it is then, just like our rivals in Bilbao”.

🤔

Nobody in Canada is going to suddenly associate Atlético Ottawa with Atlético Madrid any more than they associate Atlanta United with Manchester United. That name would do exactly nothing to strengthen the Atlético Madrid brand.

4 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Nobody in Canada is going to suddenly associate Atlético Ottawa with Atlético Madrid any more than they associate Atlanta United with Manchester United. That name would do exactly nothing to strengthen the Atlético Madrid brand.

Exaggerating much? Most CASUAL football fan knows who Atletico is

Edited by Ansem

Just now, Ansem said:

Exaggerating much? Any CASUAL football fan knows who Atletico is

Missing the point much? Any casual football fan knows who Manchester United are.

20 minutes ago, Lofty said:

You think?

’United’ is not really a brand, it’s an English word, and in the footie context, has no meaning outside the UK. No disrespect to Atlanta, but that’s basically a name that teams settle on when their creativity department fails them. No casual fan will ever associate AnyTown United with Manchester United.

In the footie context, ‘Atlético’ is not a Spanish word. It’s a brand. I propose that every casual fan will immediately know what Atlético means and who they are.

I could be wrong.

57 minutes ago, Lofty said:

What about NYCFC though? With the same ownership and the same colours, people absolutely associate them with their parent club.

4 hours ago, IAmPappy said:

You think?

’United’ is not really a brand, it’s an English word, and in the footie context, has no meaning outside the UK. No disrespect to Atlanta, but that’s basically a name that teams settle on when their creativity department fails them. No casual fan will ever associate AnyTown United with Manchester United.

In the footie context, ‘Atlético’ is not a Spanish word. It’s a brand. I propose that every casual fan will immediately know what Atlético means and who they are.

I could be wrong.

I guess this will just be one of those "agree to disagree" things. I'm far more than a casual fan but "Athletico Ottawa" would not make me think of Athletico Madrid. Maybe if I'm looking at red/white stripes and blue shorts it might. And the word "Athletico" certainly would not make me think of Athletico Madrid, so to me it is not a brand. But maybe the casual Canadian football fans are more knowledgeable about Spanish football than I am, which frankly wouldn't be hard. I appreciate @toontownman for taking the fall for not knowing Athletico Madrid are the third most famous Spanish team because I could have easily made the same mistake. Isn't there also an Athletico Bilbao? Are they part of the Athletico brand?

By the way, I'm also confident that if you talk about "United" in a football context, most English speaking fans, casual or otherwise, will just assume you mean Manchester United. You'd be hard pressed to find people who haven't heard of them -- unlike Athletico Madrid.

Edited by Lofty

3 hours ago, Kent said:

What about NYCFC though? With the same ownership and the same colours, people absolutely associate them with their parent club.

I don't doubt that Athletico Madrid will follow the NYCFC example but I really doubt whether most NA football fans even know the colours of most English teams. MLS fans are probably aware of the association but I don't think it does anything for the "City" brand. Or is "City" just an English word? 😁