Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Ottawa CPL Team Name

Ottawa CPL Team Name  

79 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What should the Ottawa CPL team be called?

• Ottawa Fury FC
    • Ottawa FC
    • Ottawa City FC
    • Ottawa Athletic FC
    • Athletic Ottawa FC
    • Athletic FC
    • Capital City FC
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/14/2020 at 11:03 AM

Let's have some fun. I've tried to think of all the main contenders but of course anyone can suggest any name they like in the comments.

Names are in the order in which they occurred to me.

Edited by Lofty

Given what we think we know right now, I rather like Ottawa Athletic FC. The name is unusual but has precedent in England (Charlton Athletic) and is also a nod to the team we believe are the primary investors.

Just to comment: those club names in Spain are taken directly from English football. Or 19th century sports clubs. So changing them back into an English context would not  be odd. 

What's ts odd and plain dumb is using Real. 

Maybe I'm out to lunch here, but given the CPL's focus on having club names/branding/identities that truly resonate with each community and help tell their story, I don't see why they'd go with "Atletico" anything. I get that Atletico is the money behind this, but I feel like an extension of their brand would be a mistake. I'd much rather see Odawa (personal favourite), Bytowne or Rideau FC than another Chivas USA attempt.

Sidenote: a hilarious tongue-in-cheek name would be Phoenix FC. References pro footie in the nation's capital rising from the ashes . . . and gives a shout-out to all the federal public servants *still* being affected by the Phoenix pay system fiasco. 😛

Edited by m-g-williams

5 hours ago, nolando said:

Intrepid Ottawa Furious National Capital Pioneer Wizards. Has a nice ring, doesn't it?

FYP

22 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Maybe I'm out to lunch here, but given the CPL's focus on having club names/branding/identities that truly resonate with each community and help tell their story, I don't see why they'd go with "Atletico" anything. I get that Atletico is the money behind this, but I feel like an extension of their brand would be a mistake.

Except they haven't had a focus on that, they've naively insisted on papering over the actual names of the communities they want to represent by using corporate branding meant to seem "authentic" and vaguely relevant to the community's history.

What the hell is "Forge" supposed to mean? It's just a vague, lazy allusion to the fact that Hamilton used to have a big steel industry and is maybe supposed to make it sound like an institutional club? Except that most institutional clubs like Arsenal were founded by the workers of an institution (the Woolwich Arsenal) looking for something to do together on weekends and not by a group of rich investors looking to start a professional football club in 2018.

If you actually want authenticity you either adopt something authentic that already exists (like buying a local club or adopting the name of a historical club) or you keep it simple and straightforward. Ottawa Athletic, Ottawa FC, Ottawa City FC, etc. are simple and straightforward.

35 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I'd much rather see Odawa (personal favourite), Bytowne or Rideau FC than another Chivas USA attempt.

A. I don't think appropriating indigenous language purely for the sake of marketing is going to go over as well as you seem to think it will

B. & C. These are basically pointless, they would add nothing other than confusion for people who don't know what place Rideau or Bytown (or "Bytowne" for that matter) refer to, not to mention that Lansdowne Park is in the south end of the Glebe, which was not a part of historical Bytown. "Rideau" maybe works since the stadium is next to the canal, but it's still just fancy marketing for a club that is presumably looking to represent the entire city.

8 hours ago, Lofty said:

Given what we think we know right now, I rather like Ottawa Athletic FC. The name is unusual but has precedent in England (Charlton Athletic) and is also a nod to the team we believe are the primary investors.

That gets my vote - predicated on the fact that it is Athletico.  

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ottawa Mulberry Eating Bears

I'm going on the assumption that this is 'Other' which is firmly in the lead at this moment.

2 hours ago, Zem said:

Except they haven't had a focus on that, they've naively insisted on papering over the actual names of the communities they want to represent by using corporate branding meant to seem "authentic" and vaguely relevant to the community's history.

What the hell is "Forge" supposed to mean? It's just a vague, lazy allusion to the fact that Hamilton used to have a big steel industry and is maybe supposed to make it sound like an institutional club? Except that most institutional clubs like Arsenal were founded by the workers of an institution (the Woolwich Arsenal) looking for something to do together on weekends and not by a group of rich investors looking to start a professional football club in 2018.

If you actually want authenticity you either adopt something authentic that already exists (like buying a local club or adopting the name of a historical club) or you keep it simple and straightforward. Ottawa Athletic, Ottawa FC, Ottawa City FC, etc. are simple and straightforward.

A. I don't think appropriating indigenous language purely for the sake of marketing is going to go over as well as you seem to think it will

B. & C. These are basically pointless, they would add nothing other than confusion for people who don't know what place Rideau or Bytown (or "Bytowne" for that matter) refer to, not to mention that Lansdowne Park is in the south end of the Glebe, which was not a part of historical Bytown. "Rideau" maybe works since the stadium is next to the canal, but it's still just fancy marketing for a club that is presumably looking to represent the entire city.

Eh, agree to disagree. I'm not saying the names are perfect by any means (Y9 still puzzles me), but overall I think they did a good job of finding ways to connect with the communities. Appealing to Van Isle as a whole and not just Victoria, celebrating the sporting history of Halifax at Wanderers grounds, commemorating the deeds of the VC recipients in Winnipeg . . . those all seem much more authentic to me than taking a name from a club on another continent and transplanting it here. Having Atletico involved is phenomenal, but I'd just rather have a more "Ottawa" name that speaks to the character/history of the area.

As for the ones I threw out, again, nothing is perfect. I know full well that Lansdowne is not in what was once Bytown, but having a name that tries to appeal to the city as a whole and its history was more my line of thinking (like how we don't have the Kanata Senators in the NHL).

On the Odawa point, by no means am I suggesting unilaterally co-opting an Indigenous name. Any recognition/incorpation of the Indigenous history of the area would have to be done in consultation with the relevant Algonquin groups (thinking Kitigan Zibi). My job has actually seen me working exclusively on Indigenous files and meeting with FN, Inuit and Métis groups for the last four years, and I'm well aware of the sentiivities surrounding cultural appropriation. I just think this could be a good opportunity to engage on the matter and recognize the region's history/heritage more prominently. 

Edited by m-g-williams

I would assume that bringing in a large Spanish partner is an acknowledgment that CSB could use some help executing their business plan. Branding and marketing are a big part of this so I suspect whatever Spain suggests is what gets done, regardless of any recent CPL history. Atletico Ottawa therefore makes sense to me.

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Dominion FC 

That actually works really well on (at least) 3 levels.

- nod to tradition, with the Dominion of Canada (of which it is the capital)

- "dominion"in the historical (and even biblical) sense, which can be interpreted as ruling ("having dominion over something") 

- it fits in seamlessly with the naming convention of some existing CPL clubs like Valour and Forge

Hmm...

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That actually works really well on (at least) 3 levels.

- nod to tradition, with the Dominion of Canada (of which it is the capital)

- "dominion"in the historical (and even biblical) sense, which can be interpreted as ruling ("having dominion over something") 

- it fits in seamlessly with the naming convention of some existing CPL clubs like Valour and Forge

Hmm...

I like Dominion FC as well. Definitely right in the naming convention.

Despite this, I think they're going with Atletico Ottawa.

12 hours ago, Lofty said:

The one and only original.  :-)