Canada vs Iceland - Jan 15th (Camp Poutine Match #3)

26 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

- Ricketts is not useful
- Bassong makes too many horizontal runs into the middle with little purpose unlike Laryea who makes overlapping vertical runs and links up well. Bassong has some talent but I'm not sure he is even ready for our U23s
- When we consider how green this #CanMNT team is and our lack of talent in this squad, they have been extremely well coached when it comes to movement and open play. Think about how much possession we had during that game. Useful and active possession too.
- Piette, Osorio and Fraser really kept that midfield moving like a well oiled machine
- If Adekugbe had been subbed off right when he got injured, we would have had at least one more great chance on goal. They waited too long to sub him out when it was clear that he was too injured to make those runs down the flank.
- Our set piece coaching is awful. This game. The last USA game. Fire Simon Eaddy. Now. Where is he from and when did he join the program?
- Almost all of our opponents chances have been the result of our stupid mistakes by us rather than superb play by them. I'm not sure what that says except that Herdman is very strong on structure and formation. We are difficult to break down in open play.

Bassong is a left back, I don't know why Herdman put him at right back and took laryea off. 

Morey doner should get a callup if laryea can't get the job done. 

Just now, SpecialK said:

Ya and after that nothing. That’s what I’m saying a guy who plays in MLS and has played in big games is on the bench and a 17 year old comes on and we need a goal against a decent team. 

Nelson is a winger, Chapman is a poor man's Osorio. You can't sub out the most creative guy in Osorio. Teibert should have played though. 

4 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Nelson is a winger, Chapman is a poor man's Osorio. You can't sub out the most creative guy in Osorio. Teibert should have played though. 

Chapman has played the RM/RW for TFC In the past. I’m sorry I’m taking a player who plays in a tier 1 league and has won a championship and played against really good player over a 17 year old who’s hasn’t even made it to the big club yet. Ya Nelson has talent and a great prospect, but there is a time a place to put him in and vs Iceland when we are down is not the time 

13 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Chapman has played the RM/RW for TFC In the past. I’m sorry I’m taking a player who plays in a tier 1 league and has won a championship and played against really good player over a 17 year old who’s hasn’t even made it to the big club yet. Ya Nelson has talent and a great prospect, but there is a time a place to put him in and vs Iceland when we are down is not the time 

I think Herdman called him from the bench because we needed help. You make it seem like he was putting Nelsen in for his potential or something. We really needed to generate some offense through someone creative, so it was either him or Borges (or I guess Chapman, but he's not really a wide player). Nelsen's number was called and I am okay with that, although yes generally speaking I too don't want youth players who haven't played a first team minute on our national team.

By the way, Piette and Larin both fall in the Nelsen category in that both started getting calls without any first team pro experience. They turned out alright. Just saying.

As long as it's the exception (which it is) and not the norm, I can live with it...

Edited by Obinna

25 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Vanney would force him to play out wide and he would look poor every time. He is just not a wide player.

22 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Perhaps. But I also think he was not at 100% fitness or slightly injured.

Exactly. That last play where he conceded the corner before half was telling. There was 0 hustle, which is one of Richie's strengths.

Regardless if it’s Chapman or someone else like Borges. Herdman put in a kid who hasn’t even had real pro mins with the big club over guys who have experience and started a CPL player over a European Pro who’s already played against top players and that should be a issue. This game shouldn’t have been a let’s get the kids some experience game, we really needed this game. Sometimes I wonder where Herdman’s head is at. 

1 minute ago, CANMNT_SUPERFAN said:

Also, just bloody shoot once you have an opening or a good opportunity for a shot on goal for christ sake!!!... Not pass the ball around & around in the penalty box, until it gets intercepted by the opposing team's CBs!!!

Easily the most frustrating part of the game. In the second half especially we had very good consistent possession with good build up only to lead nowhere in the box or a missed opportunity on a cross. Just have a go 

We lost on a flukey (bad GKing) goal. Overall we played really good. 

I was confused by the lineup decisions, but felt Miller and Didic did a solid job. Didic distribution is clean, and Millers tackling was on point. 

We bossed the midfield between Oso, Sammy, and Fraser. Period. 

Up top... Well....damn.. Brym played well, just needs to work on his finishing in the final third. The level looked beyond Tesho and Ricketts, I think there time with the NT may be coming to an end when you consider Lucas, David, Davies, Larin, Hoilett, and Millar all weren't there... And then guys like Nelson and Brym had good quality showings....Creativity, skill, everything was lacking in the final third from our attackers. 

Laryea shouldn't have started as he was more than likely injured before the game. 

Adekugbe was hesitant in joining the attack or playing those key passes. 

Bassong is not a right back.... You can easily scout that everytime he's going to need to get the ball on his left foot. He's a great left back option though, considering Morgan is on the decline. 

Overall I feel okay. Obviously the result is not what we wanted, but it definitely doesn't say y how the game was. 

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Which mid would Teibert have replaced?  Reading the majority of these comments, it seems like we controlled midfield and that we missed some good chances.

Frankly I’m a bit disappointed. We should have won a draw at minimum and this would have kept us in the hunt. a failing grade for John Herdman. But we will go on smashing small Caribbean and second tier Central America countries now...and listen to Preacher John tell us about great successes. 

Edited by hamiltonfan

4 hours ago, Lofty said:

They say stats are for losers so here they are (we won):

https://www.skysports.com/football/iceland-vs-canada/stats/422595

Pretty impressive that this match even appeared on the Sky website though.

Dominate almost every stat except "shots on target", ugh. I see why Herdman kept yelling shoot. 

That missed sitter, missed open header and offside goal really sucked. I'm disappointed by the lack of clinical finishing by us in this one, not like the chances were not there. Nature of the beast and why forwards that produce are paid the big $. My only small critiscm are that I would have likedd Borges see the field at some point and Crepeau neeeeds to do better on that goal (made up for it with nice save 2nd half), but still, otherwise no denying the team was set up to win.  

The positive from this game for me was how dominate our mid 3 was and without that GK error we get clean sheet.