Canada vs Iceland - Jan 15th (Camp Poutine Match #3)

The third match of our 2020 Camp Poutine.

Kickoff: 4pm local, 7pm EST
http://canadasoccer.com/?gid=1576&t=match

Stream:  http://player.vibebyvista.com/e/s4kcno86

For the match recording go here:
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/77274-canada-vs-iceland-jan-15-2020-match-video-no-r/

Starting XI:
Piette (captain)
Crépeau
Đidić
Adekugbe
Laryea
Brym

Osorio
Ricketts
Fraser
Akindele
Miller

As listed here: http://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1217584109221896193

Win:  +3.11 FIFA points

Draw: +0.61 FIFA points

Loss: -1.89 FIFA points

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

HUGE GAME. Can't be stressed enough. We need to go for the win but not risk a loss. We played a 4-4-2 variation the first 2 games so I'd imagine that's what Herdman will run with again .. 

Akindele-Rickketts

Osorio - Fraser - Piette - Chapman

Adekugbe - Miller - Cornelius - Laryea

Crepeau 

I feel this team will likely be what we see. I really think we can get the job done. Confidence seems to be high and 3 points is actually crucial given we are so close to catching El Salvador. 

3 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

HUGE GAME. Can't be stressed enough. We need to go for the win but not risk a loss. We played a 4-4-2 variation the first 2 games so I'd imagine that's what Herdman will run with again .. 

Akindele-Rickketts

Osorio - Fraser - Piette - Chapman

Adekugbe - Miller - Cornelius - Laryea

Crepeau 

I feel this team will likely be what we see. I really think we can get the job done. Confidence seems to be high and 3 points is actually crucial given we are so close to catching El Salvador. 

I like this lineup with a couple of exceptions. Bair for Ricketts and slide Miller to LB to pair Didic with Cornelius

It's crazy how people are inserting Didic over James off of 1 game... Acting like James doesn't have the experience both club and national team. He had one slip up that led to a comedy of eras and is now unworthy. Cornelius had a direct slip that led to a goal, and hes a sure starter. Didic played solid, but who knows if James played solid... We didn't see! 

Edited by Shway

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

It's crazy how people are inserting Didic over James... He had one slip up that led to a comedy of eras and is now unworthy. Cornelius had a direct slip that led to a goal, and hes a sure starter. Didic played solid, but who knows if James played solid... We didn't see! 

I preferred Didic before the slip up

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

It's crazy how people are inserting Didic over James off of 1 game... Acting like James doesn't have the experience both club and national team. He had one slip up that led to a comedy of eras and is now unworthy. Cornelius had a direct slip that led to a goal, and hes a sure starter. Didic played solid, but who knows if James played solid... We didn't see! 

James hasnt played much for awhile at his club....and there is always a point when the coach goes with someone new.  Personally I would still take James over Didic (due to experience) but us fans opinons are ill informed and dont count for doodle squat.  So I wouldnt even get stressed....lets see what Herdman/coaching staff thinks.  

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

True that we didn't see the full match James played, but I have seen enough of him to know who and what he is as a player. I don't particularly have a lot of trust in him. I never did.

For me the fact that Didic did well is important but he also played with Cornelius last match so we'd be keeping that partnership intact and continuity on the backline is important for a team that is young and experimental to begin with.

Secondly, I think Didic may match up well with Iceland. His weakness seems to be getting burnt for pace, but he's otherwise no-nonsense I think.

James has the pace but I don't think we'll be facing a particularly fast attack today. More important not to make errors and James already made one and like I said I never trusted him much yo begin with, so that's my defense of my choice for Didic.

May as well justify my preference for Brym...

There is a lot that annoys me with this young player. He seems to try and do too much, or make the wrong choice or fail to hit a pass, etc. A lot of simple stuff basically. However, I think he has a lot of talent and I think we need at least 1 player who is willing to try things and take people on. Everyone else out there will be a pass and move type of player, so for balance sake I chose him despite his shortcomings. He scored a goal too, which never hurts.

It will probably be Ricketts with Akindele and I am fine with that also..for the record. Just sharing my two cents.

Edited by Obinna

@Obinna

I guess for me, I watched Didic enough with Edmonton to say I rate Zator, Waterman, and Samuel at CB all higher than him - and that's not even mentioning versatility. 

So for me, although he played solid against Barbados... It was Barbados, in which he got to watch and assess the players from the bench before playing them.

The only part I agree with is the continuity factor with Derek. 

________

Side note the Didic/Vitoria comparisons are disrespectful. I think some are forgetting the levels/team Steven was playing a 8-10 years ago. 

Love how all the people who said Didic isn't good are all of a sudden using Waterman in their comparisons. Last year it was all Zator, Zator, Zator. Maybe, us fans don't really know that much.... Maybe Didic was a good player on a terrible team. 

More importantly (if I dare say it), maybe we have multiple young CBs who are just starting to develop because they have never played pro consistently. Cornelius, Didic, Waterman, Zator, and even Samuel. Throw in some even younger guys like the kid from Pacific and we might be looking up.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/article-canada-hopes-to-use-iceland-friendly-to-boost-fifa-ranking/

Straight from the article;

"Iceland, coincidentally, takes on No. 69 El Salvador on Sunday. But that meeting, apparently at the request of El Salvador, has been designated as a training match so there will not be any ranking points at stake."

4 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/article-canada-hopes-to-use-iceland-friendly-to-boost-fifa-ranking/

Straight from the article;

"Iceland, coincidentally, takes on No. 69 El Salvador on Sunday. But that meeting, apparently at the request of El Salvador, has been designated as a training match so there will not be any ranking points at stake."

Neil pulled out all the decimals haha

"Canada’s total after the Barbados wins is 1,333.456370"

38 minutes ago, BFBF said:

Love how all the people who said Didic isn't good are all of a sudden using Waterman in their comparisons. Last year it was all Zator, Zator, Zator. Maybe, us fans don't really know that much.... Maybe Didic was a good player on a terrible team. 

More importantly (if I dare say it), maybe we have multiple young CBs who are just starting to develop because they have never played pro consistently. Cornelius, Didic, Waterman, Zator, and even Samuel. Throw in some even younger guys like the kid from Pacific and we might be looking up.

Just @ me/quote me/or even use ^^^

I can pull up my quotes if need be. I've always rated those guys higher than Didic. When JH name dropped him last year as be on the brink when Zator got the call... I still said how is he being mentioned over the guys I mentioned. 

His lack of pace, will show at the higher levels. The modern day CB requires some pace, I'm not saying being fast or quick, just some recovery pace... He doesn't have it. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

@Obinna

I guess for me, I watched Didic enough with Edmonton to say I rate Zator, Waterman, and Samuel at CB all higher than him - and that's not even mentioning versatility. 

So for me, although he played solid against Barbados... It was Barbados, in which he got to watch and assess the players from the bench before playing them.

The only part I agree with is the continuity factor with Derek. 

________

Side note the Didic/Vitoria comparisons are disrespectful. I think some are forgetting the levels/team Steven was playing a 8-10 years ago. 

Fair enough on Didic. I didn't watch him play much this year in the CPL and I haven't rated him in the past when he was in the SKC system and some were clamoring for his NT inclusion.

For me it's still Didic for tonight, but I won't be upset if it was James. It wouldn't exactly be some sort of injustice, since James is playing at a higher club level (though I use the term "playing" very liberally).

Either way, it will be interesting to see who Herdman selects. He may go with James due to experience. The fact we can debate it is a tip of the cap to Didic though. His stock is up either way after this camp.

Whats with the Bair hate. No love for Theo in the starting line ups  😢 :P

Thought he would have more chance of starting than Brym or did he go back to the whitecaps or get injured or something and I missed it!

Don't disagree with Obinnas points re: Brym. Its why I was excited about him in the last game. He offers something a little different to all our other strikers. I'd say if anyone he is closest in play to David but looks quicker and very technically sound, not that David isn't, not really very similar but I think Brym is the closest to David by comparison than anyone else I can think of. Definitely looks interesting.