Joel Waterman

nolando

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't see an argument for anyone else right now.

What are the criteria? Ahmed Alghamdi might make more money in the Saudi first division than Waterman does. He rarely plays though. There are a few players like Pantemis that have kicked on or returned to a similar after a season in CPL. The league hasn't exactly been poached of top talent though. Pacific have lost more players to their coaching staff and to other CPL teams than they have to bigger leagues

22 hours ago, Aird25 said:

What are the criteria? Ahmed Alghamdi might make more money in the Saudi first division than Waterman does. He rarely plays though. There are a few players like Pantemis that have kicked on or returned to a similar after a season in CPL. The league hasn't exactly been poached of top talent though. Pacific have lost more players to their coaching staff and to other CPL teams than they have to bigger leagues

Edited. No offence meant. Sorry for derailing everybody.

Edited by Kent

32 minutes ago, Kent said:

I hadn't heard of that Saudi player. Googled him and found out he was also a hijacker on 9/11. Seriously though, he has the same name as one of the hijackers, and was born on September 20th, 2001. I'm not going to blame him or anything, but I have to wonder if he was named after that terrorist.

Ahmed is a very common name in that culture as I believe it references Muhammad so I would doubt it but who knows

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I hadn't heard of that Saudi player. Googled him and found out he was also a hijacker on 9/11. Seriously though, he has the same name as one of the hijackers, and was born on September 20th, 2001. I'm not going to blame him or anything, but I have to wonder if he was named after that terrorist.

The fuck

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Oh boy I have a feeling this thread is going to get messy

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Buddy, no

8 hours ago, Kent said:

You’re embarrassing yourself, delete the post 

10 hours ago, Kent said:

Please tell me this is a really poorly worded attempt at a joke 😂

If it's not, you do know Ahmed is one of the top 10 most common names in the world (moves up a few spots when you combine the 4 different spellings of Muhammed) and Al Ghamdi a common last name derived from one of the tribes in Saudi Arabia. So yeah, lets jump to conclusions off a Joe Smith level name...

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I know Ahmed is a common name (but have no idea how common Al Ghamdi is, but I would presume that was going to be this person's name through his parents regardless of anything else), that's why I didn't say something more definitive. I just thought there is some amount of chance that his parents may have been sympathetic to the cause. It was just an intellectual curiosity, not meant to be judgemental but I can see how people could take it that way. I've got kids of my own and when choosing a name you come up with all kinds of reasons to avoid this name or that name. For me personally I would think if someone was currently in the news for negative reasons like this, or even lesser offenses, that had the same last name as me, I would avoid giving my newborn the same name even if I was planning on using that name for weeks/months/years before the infamous event. The lack of avoidance of the name, so fresh after 9/11 is what makes me wonder if there is a chance the name was picked for that reason. Another possibility is that his father happens to have the same name and perhaps their is an expectation to name his son the same, I don't know.

Is that satisfactory or do I need to delete this post and the other? If it still offends people, I'll remove it.

That clears it up for me. I figured you were just curious in an innocent sort of way, which comes across in your explaination, so thanks.

Others may still want you to remove it and it may be a good idea for the peace of the board, but I am fine either way. 

Cheers

On 9/21/2021 at 7:12 PM, Kent said:

I Googled you and discovered you are a famous child murderer.

Or were you named after her? What were your parents thinking?

https://allthatsinteresting.com/constance-kent

Seriously though, I'm not going to blame you or anything, you were a minor, and apparently of another gender, when you killed that three year old.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I Googled you and discovered you are a famous child murderer.

Or were you named after her? What were your parents thinking?

https://allthatsinteresting.com/constance-kent

Seriously though, I'm not going to blame you or anything, you were a minor, and apparently of another gender, when you killed that three year old.

OK, I guess there is at least one person who didn't take my explanation for my line of thinking as reasonable. If one person is raising their voice about it still, I'm sure there are others that feel the same way. It was meant to be a little throw away comment in the first place, so I'll delete it and my explanation comment.

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

OK, I guess there is at least one person who didn't take my explanation for my line of thinking as reasonable. If one person is raising their voice about it still, I'm sure there are others that feel the same way. It was meant to be a little throw away comment in the first place, so I'll delete it and my explanation comment.

You deleted it....but it's still there! 

This board almost was closed, and was within weeks of being denounced publicly in the press, due to the insistence of certain racist and white supremacist elements to use it to further their views. I know this first hand. We had whole fanatical threads on here, propagating white supremacist positions amongst fans purportedly supporting a racially, ethnically and religiously diverse national team programme.

A good part of the "Qatar should not have the WC" thread also occults some of this, even now some is still there.

At least the reaction eventually came from mods and admins, and I think most respect what this means.

If that had happened, or even if it had been dealt privately with the CSA or politicians responsible for funding sports, with no press involvement, the Voyageurs as an entity would have lost the right to be distributing tickets for CMNT matches. It most certainly would not be constituting as a legal entity right now, or at least not under that great name.

Regardless, the players of our NTs would speak out and not now want the Voyageurs to be involved in any way as a supporter group if our name were tainted in this way.

People think that trolling, bad behaviour, controversy or being a bit hard on newbies is the problem here, and it could be in a sense. I'm a culprit there, for sure. But the real problem is that the board has to deal with bigger issues, a few years back the sexism was deafening and this was raised as a concern. If the CSA or those funding the CSA perceive that the Voyageurs are not a pluralist, open organisation that respects gender, cultural and racial diversity, simply the organisation would be pushed out and, eventually, closed down as the par excellence Canadian soccer supporter entity. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

@Unnamed Trialist you are perputuating everything you denounce in that post. I think you should delete it and move on, just like Kent has.

It's important for people on this board to understand what is at stake. Because I think too many people are sleepwalking through the moment.

Anyways, @Obinna are you seriously making a comparison with someone doing cheap taunting of Muslims on the board and what I posted? But hey, if you and others want to push it'll come to shove, and everyone will lose.