NCAA+ Canadians 2020

Big_M

By this logic the NHL should also get rid of the draft. Even fewer players make it onto rosters there.

That's just nonsense - if fewer players come through then the picks lose value, simple as. No need to do away with something that gets players in the league. Without the draft it turns into a bidding war for top young talent out of the NCAA and the MLS would never go for that.

On 1/15/2021 at 6:48 PM, aredding77 said:

On January 21st, the MLS will be holding the 2021 Superdraft.  I went through the list of eligible players for the draft and tried to compile a list of Canadians.  Below is the list I've compiled, not sure if I'm missing any.

https://mlssoccer.app.box.com/s/955kx899bpc6dniq1l1a459j7jjcwvmt/file/764163998643

Matt Constant - '98 - CB
Joel Harrison - '99 - CB
Noah Jensen - '99 - CM
Ryan Khedoo - '99 - CM
Sameer Fathazada - '99  - CM
Kyle Hiebert - '97 - CB/DM

In addition to the Polisi brothers, Simon Fraser's Chris Guerreiro is also eligible for the draft.

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Without the draft it turns into a bidding war for top young talent out of the NCAA and the MLS would never go for that.

I agree with this. They don't want to the teams competing on wages. 

But attempting to control draft player wages via Generation Adidas has created unintended consequences. The higher GA player wages don't count against the cap for a few years but this creates a cap time bomb later. So, if the GA player lives up to expectations, his wage increase after the GA label expires makes the player often overvalued given the cap hit. If he underperforms, he also becomes overvalued even without a raise. He is then often dumped as no other MLS team won't like the cap hit either - likely the Shome situation.

This year's draft is also a hodge podge. Most haven't played a college soccer season. A number have already played in the USL. 

And again, a draft isn't required to get young players into MLS as no draft means open season on signing any NCAA player. Most new MLS players now come through the academies or bought from other leagues. This is in contrast to the NHL where the majority of the players playing in the NHL still come via the draft. But having 7 rounds (x31 teams) means the percentages don't look good.

The only players that were selected are both center backs

Matthew Constant (UNC) - Sporting Kansas City 50th overall

Joel Harrison (Michigan) - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 53rd overall

I can't imagine either will figure into their teams plans for this season but you never know

• 3 weeks later...

Hiebert is having a nice NCAA career.  He made a lot of 2nd team All american lists as a junior.  Missouri lists him as a potential Herman candidate.  6 foot CB....mmmmmmmm.   Top drawer has him as a preseason 2nd team All american. Also had him on a list of top 10 defenders in NCAA.

They also have Jacen Rusell-Rowe as a preseason all freshman best 11.  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Hiebert is having a nice NCAA career.  He made a lot of 2nd team All american lists as a junior.  Missouri lists him as a potential Herman candidate.  6 foot CB....mmmmmmmm.   Top drawer has him as a preseason 2nd team All american. Also had him on a list of top 10 defenders in NCAA.

They also have Jacen Rusell-Rowe as a preseason all freshman best 11.  

DeAndre Kerr at Syracuse and Brandon Cambridge at Portland also in that preseason freshman best 11

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/2020-21-mens-di-preseason-best-xi-teams_aid49006

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bdog said:

Really nice goal on a really awful field.

I usually don't pay attention to the NCAA but Russell-Rowe seems like he could turn out to be a decent player.

He would have been a TFC homegrown to my knowledge if he had wanted to be, they may still have his rights, if not he should go high in the MLS draft or even in first when the time comes.

15 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

He would have been a TFC homegrown to my knowledge if he had wanted to be, they may still have his rights, if not he should go high in the MLS draft or even in first when the time comes.

Didn’t want to sign a TFC II contract, opted for college. He’s definitely still has a hg tag for TFC.... I foresee him doing two years and signing with TFC.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Didn’t want to sign a TFC II contract, opted for college. He’s definitely still has a hg tag for TFC.... I foresee him doing two years and signing with TFC.

By 2 years I hope you mean this season and fall season. Reality is he won’t have much business there if any.

glut of young players at TFC but this gives him a chance to see how they transition to the play the kids movement.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

By 2 years I hope you mean this season and fall season. Reality is he won’t have much business there if any.

glut of young players at TFC but this gives him a chance to see how they transition to the play the kids movement.

Don’t really understand why players would go to college with the intent of leaving after a year or 2. If you don’t want to go for the education, why not just sign with TFC 2 or try to find a USL/CPL team or something?

12 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Don’t really understand why players would go to college with the intent of leaving after a year or 2. If you don’t want to go for the education, why not just sign with TFC 2 or try to find a USL/CPL team or something?

No idea, I’m sure he had Euro interest too and could still go. He was rated highly maybe more so than Nelsen but could be wrong.

32 minutes ago, archer21 said:

It's the experience that I assume they go for. It's also believe it or not a greater opportunity to increase your stock. 

Let's say he signs for TFCII...thats what 30-50k contract. But in him going NCAA route, he can have two really great seasons and potentially get a GA deal or GA Academy Deal - those deals guarantee you 100K+. And you have 2 years of university credits that you can hopefully utilize later to finish your degree. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

It's the experience that I assume they go for. It's also believe it or not a greater opportunity to increase your stock. 

Let's say he signs for TFCII...thats what 30-50k contract. But in him going NCAA route, he can have two really great seasons and potentially get a GA deal or GA Academy Deal - those deals guarantee you 100K+. And you have 2 years of university credits that you can hopefully utilize later to finish your degree. 

I guess it makes sense if you can get that contract from the draft. Seems like a flaw in the system if you can get it by going to college, and it just by working your way through the academy ranks.

I wonder of there would be a way to get a NCAA player to play CPL for the summer and go back to college in the fall? If they dont get paid and the CPL just calls it a tryout/amateurs would that work? Alot of them play League 1 or similar so it would be awesome for their development to move up a level.

13 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I wonder of there would be a way to get a NCAA player to play CPL for the summer and go back to college in the fall? If they dont get paid and the CPL just calls it a tryout/amateurs would that work? Alot of them play League 1 or similar so it would be awesome for their development to move up a level.

That would be against NCAA regulations, you can play against pros but not with, Academy players often play with MLS USL teams before they commit to a university program, but once they commit they can only play amateur, usually PDL or L1O.  Jacen Russell-Rowe is an example, he played 1 game for TFC 2 before going to Maryland. 

13 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

6 goals on 4 games for Gloire Amanda with 4-0 Oregon State.  Brother of FC Edmonton's Prince Amanda.  Played with FC Edmonton academy and Whitecaps II  before going NCAA route.

Latest 2 in a 2-1 win over Washington:

A couple of really nice goals. Little doubt that he's a level above the other players out there.