NCAA+ Canadians 2020

Big_M

Here's a repost of the stats I compiled in the 2019 thread. I removed the Seniors as they wouldn't factor into the 2020 season

Name Pos School Year GP G A Pts Notes
Tani Oluwaseyi F/M St. John's Junior 20 11 5 27 GPS Academy
Malcolm Johnston M Maryland Freshman 20 4 4 12 Vaughan Azzurri
Stephen Afrifa M FIU Freshman 18 3 3 9 Woodbridge Strikers
Hilli Goldhar M Syracuse Sophomore 20 1 6 8 Sigma FC
Simon Triantafillou M Syracuse Junior 20 2 3 7 Sigma FC
Preston Popp F Charlotte Sophomore 19 3 0 6 North Carolina FC
Kyle Hiebert D Missouri Redshirt Junior 20 1 2 4 U18 National Team, PDL (WSA Winnipeg?)
Jalen Watson D Penn State Freshman 15 1 2 4 Whitecaps Academy, Erin Mills SC
Wumi Aladetmi F UC Davis Redshirt Freshman 18 1 2 4  
Ronaldo Marshall F FIU Freshman 13 1 2 4 Woodbridge Strikers
Jeremy Di Lallo F/M UCF Freshman 15 1 1 3 U19 Orlando City, Montverde Academy
Brock Lindow M Kentucky Sophomore 15 1 1 3  
Rohun Kawale M/D Rhode Island Freshman 19 1 1 3 IMG Academy
Joel Harrison D Michigan Junior 19 1 0 2 Whitecaps Res, Surrey United SC
Matt Chandler D St. John's Junior 20 0 1 1 Markham FC
Justyn Thomas D Wake Forest Junior 18 0 0 0 Vaughan Azzurri, TFC Academy, U15 National Team
Demarre Montoute D Marshall Freshman 11 0 0 0 Vaughan Azzurri
Luka Gavrab G St. John's Redshirt Freshman 18 0 0 0 GPS Academy, Hamilton Croatia
Malcolm Duncan D Providence Junior 23 0 0 0 Sigma FC
Rimi Olatunji G Providence Redshirt Freshman 2 0 0 0 TFC Academy
Sosa Emovon F Michigan Sophomore 6 0 0 0 National Team ID Camp
Marques Antoine D Maryland Freshman 7 0 0 0 Montreal Impact Academy, U17 National Team
David Viscosi D Wright State Freshman 5 0 0 0  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

On January 21st, the MLS will be holding the 2021 Superdraft.  I went through the list of eligible players for the draft and tried to compile a list of Canadians.  Below is the list I've compiled, not sure if I'm missing any.

https://mlssoccer.app.box.com/s/955kx899bpc6dniq1l1a459j7jjcwvmt/file/764163998643

Matt Constant - '98 - CB
Joel Harrison - '99 - CB
Noah Jensen - '99 - CM
Ryan Khedoo - '99 - CM
Sameer Fathazada - '99  - CM
Kyle Hiebert - '97 - CB/DM

18 minutes ago, aredding77 said:

On January 21st, the MLS will be holding the 2021 Superdraft.  I went through the list of eligible players for the draft and tried to compile a list of Canadians.  Below is the list I've compiled, not sure if I'm missing any.

https://mlssoccer.app.box.com/s/955kx899bpc6dniq1l1a459j7jjcwvmt/file/764163998643

Matt Constant - '98 - CB
Joel Harrison - '99 - CB
Noah Jensen - '99 - CM
Ryan Khedoo - '99 - CM

Thought I recognized Sameer, TSN  or CBC did a feature on him 7 years ago or so 

32 minutes ago, aredding77 said:

Matt Constant - '98 - CB
Joel Harrison - '99 - CB
Noah Jensen - '99 - CM
Ryan Khedoo - '99 - CM

Matteo and Marcelo Polisi from Simon Fraser. So far that’s 8 

SBI Soccer has Matt Constant as the last pick in round 1 of their mock draft. 

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/01/sbis-2021-mls-mock-draft-version-1-0

Unfortunately, the draft is mostly meaningless now with very few picks actually holding down roster picks, nevermind having a significant impact. Hopefully Constant or the other Canadians are an exception (like Johnston last year).

10 hours ago, canadianbacons said:

SBI Soccer has Matt Constant as the last pick in round 1 of their mock draft. 

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/01/sbis-2021-mls-mock-draft-version-1-0

Unfortunately, the draft is mostly meaningless now with very few picks actually holding down roster picks, nevermind having a significant impact. Hopefully Constant or the other Canadians are an exception (like Johnston last year).

In the past two drafts alone 4 Canadians have been drafted who could arguably be part of a 23 man WCQ squad (Buchanan, St. Clair, Miller, Johnston). Then add Raposo and Montgomery who could be poised to breakout. I don’t think the draft has ever been more significant for Canadians. I don’t even need to look it up - I’m sure that our guys being picked are holding down roster spots/contributing at the highest percentages. 

It's probably easier to get box-to-box mids, defenders and goalkeepers out of the draft. Positions less dependent on those technical aspects, more dependent of physicality. 

Matt Constant has a better chance of getting on a team than someone in the forward/attacking mid positions. I believe Miller was taken in the second round.

Edited by PopePouri

23 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

It's remarkable in that the draft as a whole becomes more irrelevant every year. Those 4 you mention are probably the top picks in the whole league with current hindsight.

I wouldn't say so necessarily. They're up there for sure but in the past 2 years (just listing guys who have become week in week out players, there's plenty more depth players).  

2019/2020: Amaya, Dotson, Sejdic, Jones, Gasper, Shinyashiki, Dike, Kessler

Bolded USMNT call ups. They also called up Mueller and Blackmon who were drafted in 2018. So there's still plenty of value to be had through the draft. Certainly though, Canadians are hitting right now.

Edited by CanadaFan123

In the past almost the entire first round of draft were automatic starters/meaningful bench players. Now it's probably less than have the first round and barely anyone beyond that. The league is bringing in more and more international players and homegrowns now that the draft isn't as important.

I'm happy that the CMNT has benefitted from the draft in the past few years but I would be surprised to see that continue with the same level of success.

That we have good CDN prospects coming through the US system says alot about our soccer infrastructure here.  There are still some guys slipping through the cracks that end up blossoming in the NCAA system. Kids will always want to goto college, but hopefully in the future guys like Stclair, Miller etc will be Id'd by CPL clubs as teenagers and getting to the pro ranks earlier.    

Most of what the Caps residency does is send players to NCAA. I guess it's the defacto 3rd/4th division here where players tend to go. I'm not sure it would be that different if all the CPL clubs ran full academies. There still only going to be a handful who are ready at 18 to step into the pro game. We should probably celebrate this, instead of feeling shame about it. The only change I'd suggest is getting more into U-Sports were they can perhaps mix amateur & pro experience more readily.

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I wouldn't say so necessarily. They're up there for sure but in the past 2 years (just listing guys who have become week in week out players, there's plenty more depth players).  

2019/2020: Amaya, Dotson, Sejdic, Jones, Gasper, Shinyashiki, Dike, Kessler

Bolded USMNT call ups. They also called up Mueller and Blackmon who were drafted in 2018. So there's still plenty of value to be had through the draft. Certainly though, Canadians are hitting right now.

The MLS draft is past its prime. It's looking to retire but given Garber's NFL background, he doesn't want to let go.

But coaches like from the champions have moved on. “There probably won’t be a draft at some point because you’re seeing more and more people are passing in the second and third rounds,” Porter said. “Maybe you get something first round. Not to say there aren’t good players though. You can find them.”

When Porter coached his first year in the league in 2013, three of the 19 first-round picks didn’t play in their rookie year. Just half of the 24 first-round picks in 2019 made a single MLS appearance.

With the amount of money teams are putting into rosters, into their youth academies, and with fewer players spending four years in college, there seems to be an expiration date on the draft at some point.

So, yes. there are still some players who make it like the 4 recent Canadians. But they could have easily been signed as free agents. Better for them as there is a better chance of picking the team they prefer. 

It's also a sad scene of seeing these players putting the scarves, all smiling and carefree. Some of them may know but many don't realize their football future now actually lies in the USL.